PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Up

Michael Houghton
11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I know the video is horrible, but here is one of my first muscle ups. What do you all think? I tried to go for two, but wasn't happening today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48u48m45140WFS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48u48m45140)

Derek Maffett
11-28-2007, 08:22 PM
1) Turning the rings out might help you get full deadhang.
2) You looked a bit unstable, wavering to the side after the transition. Should probably go away with plenty of rings work.
3) When you do kipping pull-ups, it is best to string them one to the next. If you stop and try to start the kip again, things will be harder for you. Same goes for muscle-ups.

Congratulations on the muscle-up! That's the one exercise that I can really say is more fun than work.

Jake Oleander
11-28-2007, 08:28 PM
looking good big man. like derek said it looks like you can use more ring dips in your training, that will help you stabalize yourself better, making your movements more efficient (and easier).

Michael Houghton
11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I agree that I need more ring work. I think that after doing three yesterday, and then the heavy pullup workout, it was a bit much on my arms. I did a couple after that and it was a bit easier. I think I was cold still, not properly warmed up. Either way, I still did it, and the next thing is to get a full dead hang. It hurts too much right now to false grip with a full dead hang, being 270 lbs and all. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll work on turning out my hands at the bottom. I am just so excited right now that I can even do one. My buddy is burning with anger that I got one before him. He is only 165 lbs or so and can do more deadhang pullups than I can. I just practiced the kip and got lucky. OH GEEZE! So sorry I didn't post WFS earlier!

Derek Maffett
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
The false grip wrist pain seems to go away with time. At least they did for me. Or maybe I was just holding the false grip wrong.:shrug:

Brandon Oto
11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I feel like I'm watching an illicit security tape.

Derek Maffett
11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I feel like I'm watching an illicit security tape.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it...

Michael Houghton
11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
I know, I know. I couldn't connect the video camera to the computer, so I used my webcam to look at the viewfinder and record it. Ghettoooo! I'm gonna record another one today on my digital camera and post it again. Illicit as it is, it's pretty sweet to watch. I've watched it over and over and over again. Am I the only one who watches their first muscle up that many times? :D

Steven Low
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, pretty much.

Pretty good at your weight though. :D Now you can go for the cross... Heaviest I've heard of someone doing a cross is 266 lbs so you can set the record, hehe.

Seriously though, to get better at rings work you gotta do more rings work. Try to do at least 1 muscle up everyday if not more and practice dips and false grip pullups and you'll be stringing together sets in no time.

Michael Houghton
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on putting in a killer pullup bar in my backyard in a couple of weeks, so I should be able to just run outside and do a couple whenever I feel like it. I have been sharing the rings with my buddy, but he just got some so I can go crazy on mine now. :) I still don't buy that I'm the only one who watches their video that many times. :p I love it!

Tyler Weir
11-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Try to do at least 1 muscle up everyday if not more and practice dips and false grip pullups and you'll be stringing together sets in no time.

This was my method, as soon as I put my rings up I was greasing the groove for muscle-ups, I'd try to do one every time I went up or down the stairs.
I found it the most helpful as I've got two dead-hang in a row and 7 kipping in a row now.

Michael Houghton
11-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Along the lines of kipping/strict muscle ups, I've seen a bunch of stuff about how it's cheating, etc. to kip. I know that it's more of a metcon workout this way, but do you think I will eventually be able to do a strict one if I just keep working on dips/pullups and kipping muscle ups?

Derek Maffett
11-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Kipping will not give you strict. I've just tried to do muscle-ups with less kipping, and I suppose that's helping develop strict.

Tyler Weir
11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Along the lines of kipping/strict muscle ups, I've seen a bunch of stuff about how it's cheating, etc. to kip. I know that it's more of a metcon workout this way, but do you think I will eventually be able to do a strict one if I just keep working on dips/pullups and kipping muscle ups?

Try muscle-up negatives and strict false grip pullups. It's just a matter of strength for you now.

Michael Houghton
11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I just did 7 strict pull ups yesterday, and I only started with being able to do 2. I'll just start doing strict pullups on the rings with a false grip. That and slow negative muscle ups I think will be the ticket.