PDA

View Full Version : Squats Take 2 (Form Check...again)

Scott Kane
11-27-2007, 01:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdZxeIOFIuQ

Ryan Holmes
11-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Scott...I am just learning the Squat so I am saying this as much to check my own eye as to provide feedback for you. There is certainly better and more informed feedback than mine, but as I am actively reading SS and learning here goes. I think I am seeing a bit of winkage right at the bottom, or this is the contraction of hams? I think maintaining the lumbar curve by keeping the pelvis tilt forward will engage the hamstrings at full length at the bottom allowing you to drive the hips of the bottom and be more explosive. I hope this helps and thank you for th opportunity to learn!

Derek Maffett
11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I didn't really see anything wrong but with the the back camera angle, it's hard to say. Could you refilm from the side?

Gant Grimes
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Scott, that looks pretty good. Since you have good shoulder flexibility and good tension in your upper back, the only thing I might suggest is to widen the grip a little bit and set the bar a couple centimeters lower on your back. I didn't see winkage, but I saw your hips come up faster than your shoulders on the last rep, causing increased torque on your lower back. Keep a big breath of air and concentrate on keeping a constant hip/shoulder angle when the weight gets heavy. Otherwise, the weight will roll down your head and pitch you into the garage door.

There is also a little play in the left leg on the first rep. It doesn't happen again, so it's probably your body settling in.

This is nitpicky stuff, though. Your form is good. Just keep that chest up.