PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to Squat Clean

Christian Mason
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm only fairly recently learned that what I thought of as "cleans" all along were an ugly muscle clean.

The transition to squat cleans had made a number of workouts (like Elizabeth and Linda) MUCH harder. It more than doubled my Elizabeth time.

Anyway, thoughts and feedback on my cleans are welcome.
(work and family safe link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVkbc3apOjM

Things I notice:

- I don't think I'm coming to full hip extension at the top. Hurrying to get under the bar maybe?

- I think I'm power cleaning then riding the bar down into a front squat.
Not sure what to do about this though - I feel like I sacrifice full extension even more than I all ready am if I try to get under it faster.

- Elbows higher on catch?

Anything I'm missing? More importantly, besides more practice, any suggestions on how to improve or what to fix first?

Thanks,
-- Chris

Derek Maffett
11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
In one of the cleans, I noticed some forward lean which seemed to cause lower elbows. Also, I don't think your arms are supposed to bend at all until you are getting under the bar.

Am I correct, Lincoln?

Brian Degenaro
11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
From what it appears you're just deadlifting it, then shrugging really hard to get under it before you lock it out. You want to get it just above your knees and then "jump" up with the weight in your locked straight arms, then reverse direction and get under the bar. Also work on getting your elbows higher; they should be parallel with the ground on the catch.

Practice cleans from the high hang, muscle cleans, and clean pulls w/o bending the arms to help fix your arm bend and extension problem. If I recall that is the typical Rx for these problems.

Lincoln Brigham
11-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Yes, there's an early arm bend there.

The hip extension is not bad but more importantly the bar is not close enough to the thighs. This is causing you to jump forward and other bad things.

As for the pull-under, as Coach John Wooden said to his basketball players over and over and over,
"Be quick but don't hurry."
You're doing the opposite - rushing the start of the arm bend, not waiting to get the bar into proper position for the second pull and then floating into the bottom of the front squat. Be more patient before starting the second pull and then EXPLODE! BAM! And in the next nano-second BAM! get into the bottom of the front squat before the bar gets there.

Quicker elbows! WHIP them around like you mean it. Right now they are meandering in a northerly direction along with the change of the seasons.

Daniel Hoang
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, there's an early arm bend there.

The hip extension is not bad but more importantly the bar is not close enough to the thighs. This is causing you to jump forward and other bad things.

As for the pull-under, as Coach John Wooden said to his basketball players over and over and over,
"Be quick but don't hurry."
You're doing the opposite - rushing the start of the arm bend, not waiting to get the bar into proper position for the second pull and then floating into the bottom of the front squat. Be more patient before starting the second pull and then EXPLODE! BAM! And in the next nano-second BAM! get into the bottom of the front squat before the bar gets there.

Quicker elbows! WHIP them around like you mean it. Right now they are meandering in a northerly direction along with the change of the seasons.

That is awesome advice! Especially the metaphor there at the end. :weight_l: