PDA

View Full Version : Clean & Jerk. At least that is what is supposed to be.

Eddie Clark
11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
3 reps with 70kg.
What do y'all got for me.

(WFS)
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/30538553201024

Thanks in advance.

Brandon Oto
11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Your link's broken.

Eddie Clark
11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Clean & Jerk (http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3053855320102437988FXbXVb?vhost=good-times)

Lets see if this works.

Trevor Thompson
11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Try and catch in the squat a little earlier. My 2 cents

Paul LaDuke
11-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Eddie,

Overall your performance is about a 80%. Your hips are too high and your stance is too wide at setup so you aren't using your leg strength enough during the first pull. You get nice depth but your elbows aren't coming through far enough or fast enough. You seem a little unstable during your front squat portion. Keeping your elbows high and your trunk tight would correct that flaw.

The jerk dip is good but your catch stance is a little off. Your split isn't wide enough. Your front shin should be perpendicular to the floor. Your back foot should be on the toes.

If you correct those flaws you have the strength to clean 100-110kgs easy.

Eddie Clark
11-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the help. I knew my catch/split jerk stance was way off. I think I am afraid to get under the weight. I tried 75kg after the set in the video and failed on my third rep because I didn't get under he weight. The heavier the bar gets the more I want to try and press it up.

The hips and the stance I didn't notice. I will work on that for sure.

The instability I think might be helped by filling my lungs with air and holding it throughout the lift. Sometimes I will do it and exhale after the second pull and sometimes I forget to do it altogether.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 100kg in my future too.
Eddie

Lincoln Brigham
11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Shorten up the dip for the jerk. You're on the edge of going too far down. A bigger dip does not translate into a more powerful drive; it usually has the opposite effect AND the odds off shoving the bar forward go way up.

And yes, you aren't getting under the bar deep enough in the split. Your receiving position for both the squat and the jerk is too high for when the weights get bigger. You are racking the clean in a quarter squat and catching the jerk about 4" higher than you are tall. You'll need to practice getting comfortable receiving the bar at a lower point if you want to get the big lifts. For the jerk that's gonna be about an inch less than your height. For a 6' tall guy the receiving position for the jerk should be about 5'11" off the ground. For the squat clean the ideal receiving position is equal in height to the bottom of your front squat.

Lift the light weights like they are heavy and the heavy weights like they are light.

Patrick Donnelly
11-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I noticed that you're jumping backward a bit on the cleans.

Eddie Clark
11-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Lincoln,
Thanks. I knew there were many things that I was doing wrong I just couldn't figure them out. I didn't even consider my catch height for the clean portion in my analysis. Great stuff guys!

Eddie Clark
11-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Patrick,
I noticed that too. I reviewed the clean article in the July '03 of the CF journal to see if that was an issue. In the journal it says that the landing position "averages about 4 inches behind the jumping position for elite lifters". I know I am a little shy of the elite level at them moment. SO do you think that I am still jumping back too far?

Patrick Donnelly
11-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Re: Eddie
I have never actually noticed that Olympic lifters jump backward. I would think that would make the lift harder by taking away from upward acceleration and moving the body away from the bar. Maybe not.

I'll let someone more experienced chime in on that then.

Lincoln Brigham
11-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Some jump backwards, some more than others, some stay in place. If the bar does not go with the lifter an equal amount, it's a problem. Coach Burgener would say, "If you are going to jump back, be sure to bring the bar with you."

Jumping forward is almost always indicative of a technical error, especially for beginners, but not in all cases.

Travis Loest
11-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Hard to tell from the side but it doesn't look like your elbows are coming out and up enough in what I believe is the third pull. Can you get a clip from the front. I have an issue with the same thing. In all the video and still clips of the competition lifters their elbows are up almost, if not, level with their shoulders as they begin the dive under the bar.

Lincoln Brigham
11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
The dive under starts the moment the second pull finishes. At the finish of the second pull the arms are still straight.

Finish of the second pull:
http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/images/ding1.jpg

Beginning of the third pull, the pull-under:
http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/images/caseyClean.jpg

Mid-way through the third pull:
http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/images/luna1.jpg

Eddie Clark
11-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I will direct my film crew to find a angle where my body isn't blocked by the plates next time. There is a clip of me doing some 3 position cleans with 40kg on this website: (W/F/S)Resurgensfitness.com (http://resurgensfitness.com/). Go to the November 23rd workout day, "Clean the House You Jerk". I am the first video posted for that day.

That day I was working on:
-Pulling from a good jumping position
-keeping my hips lower/closer to the bar
-having my shoulders and hips rise at the same rate until the 2nd pull
-filling my stomach with air and holding it throughout the clean

Watching the above vid myself I noticed that I was moving the bar around my knees a bit. I am sure pulling heavier weight will make this a self correcting problem when the bar starts cheese-grating my shins on the way up.

I hadn't read Lincoln's suggestion about catch height so I wasn't lifting this light weight like it was heavy. Next go around I will work on my speed for the 3rd pull too.

Regarding the elbows up and out on the 3rd pull:
I believe that I might be ok there. The bar does stay pretty close to the body. If I were keeping my elbows in and down the bar would either float further away from my body or I wouldn't be able to rotate my elbows around the bar. However Paul did say that he didn't think my elbows were moving fast enough. So I am not ruling this out as an issue.