PDA

View Full Version : Squat Jerk

Leonid Soubbotine
11-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Was wondering if squat jerk is a better option over split in a long run?
Worked up to 160 lbs (87 lbs under my clean PR) on the first try today:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=477vdEbA1MM (safe)

Squat is slow - wanted to tighten up the bottom position a bit better.

Critique is welcome on any part of the lift!

David Aguasca
11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
i'm not qualified to give you technique pointers...

but i can give you attitude pointers! be more aggressive! really push yourself underneath the bar...think lightning!

i've always liked this guy as an example...he's pretty damn fast (check him out at 1:30):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_lTtrSl0l4 (WFS)

Leonid Soubbotine
11-08-2007, 03:30 PM
There's never enough agression with the oly lifts! Especially the snatch!
I was working on the bottom position of the squat and took it a bit slower.

My clean pr is 247 (87 lbs over) the clean in the vid - didn't really worry about agression in the clean, mostly was concerned with the jerk.

Brandon Oto
11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
What do you mean by long run? At higher weights? In your old age?

I'm not sure that counts as a squat jerk btw, you pretty much push jerk then sit into it ;)

Leonid Soubbotine
11-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Heavier weights. It seems like it would develop the OHS quite a bit better too.

My clean PR is 112.5 kg, C&J is 105, snatch is 82.5 and OHS 102.5x3 (with snatch grip).

Brandon Oto
11-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the common wisdom is that it's good if you have the super flexibility and perfect form, but otherwise, you'll do better with the split...

Lincoln Brigham
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
For training purposes the squat jerk may have some value for you for conditioning purposes. It doesn't suit most Crossfit trainees.

I once saw a guy squat jerk 160 kilos in competition. Very impressive. (Also saw Cara Heads squat jerk about 110 or so in the same competition.) Same guy two or three years down the road was doing the split jerk with 200. Be careful that the ability to do the squat jerk doesn't interfere with judging the wisdom of doing the squat jerk. Play around with it. Have fun. See what happens, but don't marry yourself to that style.

Leonid Soubbotine
11-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Thank you Lincoln. Very good example.
I decided to do just that!

Brandon Oto
11-09-2007, 07:14 AM
This is also probably a good way of "training by exaggeration" to ensure that you're dropping down into the push jerk adequately. I know that I tend to catch it too high.

Tom Fetter
11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Er, I thought a "squat jerk" was a really short guy with a bad attitude.

Just move along, nothing to see...

Derek Maffett
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
And just what is that supposed to mean! Put 'em up, we'll settle this right now! :smiley_ev

Aushion Chatman
11-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Leonid I'm not the best at the oly lifts but I think it shows that the lift was 87 under your PR, you caught the weight in a quarter squat and then rode it down OHS style to the bottom.

If you want to practice catching it in the bottom of the squat you probably don't have to jerk as forcefully initially...or you can up the weight maybe.

But maybe you intentionally caught it at the depth necessary to get under it? If so the extra OHS squat may or may not be necessary depending on what you're going for.