PDA

View Full Version : Low-bar back squats

Brandon Oto
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my copy of SS and am finally making the switch to low bar squats. I'm sympathetic to Rip's argument for them and I tend to find quad work over every hill and glade whereas I need to dig for the hip extensor stuff, so it's good for me. I just didn't really get the technical side, but now I am enlightened.

Had a go with the new form today. Can anyone take a peek? Low weight (132). Looks pretty good to me, but it's still pretty new so I may be missing something. My only remarks are:

- I could perhaps tip over more -- butt farther back and torso more horizontal. I'm not sure if I'm still a bit in the Oly squat direction.

- I know about the butt wink, at this weight I'd rather have the depth, no biggie

- I'm looking too far upwards

- When I turn around at the bottom, I'm letting the weight come forward a little, hips rise a little, and I ascend at a slightly more horizontal angle than I descended.

- I'm wearing huge red socks. (I deadlifted later, gimme a break...)

Video: http://degreesofclarity.com/misc/crossfit/back_squats_low_bar_form_11-6-07.mov

Any other complaints?

Jesse Emers
11-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Your socks are huge... and red.

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I can't get the link to play. For some reason, my computer won't let me download quicktime. Crap. Sorry I can't help.

Just remember to sit back more, try to keep your shins as close to perpendicular as you can. Stay on your heels and actually try to lift your toes off the ground.

All the best,
Arden

Gant Grimes
11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Brandon, you've already worked it over pretty well. All in all, pretty good.

The bar doesn't look that low in your back, but it could just be the angle.

Don't be so willing to trade a butt wink for depth. If it's showing up now, it will definitely show up at heavier weights. Don't look up so high, keep a good breath and tight back, and that should bring your torso into a better line. Sit deep and keep your hip flexors engaged. Don't surrender to the butt wink!

Brandon Oto
11-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Gant, I'll play with it.

David Aguasca
11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
just remember...

give me lumbar lordosis or give me death!

Brandon Oto
11-08-2007, 04:19 AM
That can be arranged :evilsmile

Boris Bachmann
11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Brandon, you've already worked it over pretty well. All in all, pretty good.

The bar doesn't look that low in your back, but it could just be the angle.

Don't be so willing to trade a butt wink for depth. If it's showing up now, it will definitely show up at heavier weights. Don't look up so high, keep a good breath and tight back, and that should bring your torso into a better line. Sit deep and keep your hip flexors engaged. Don't surrender to the butt wink!Ditto to this. Ditto to the socks. Shorts are also a fashion blunder.

Brandon Oto
11-09-2007, 04:43 AM
I lost my workout shorts at my rowing club. Board shorts are actually super comfy, though; I'm understanding why you always see them in the CF Santa Cruz videos.

We should rename this forum "Fashion and Film tips" :D

Keith Wittenstein
11-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I second the advice about trying to get rid of the butt wink.

Yeah, it looks like the bar is still a little high and your elbows are a little low. Dropping the chin usually allows you to lift your elbows higher thus making a stronger shelf for the bar. Remember to look about six feet in front of you at the floor.

I find that my back angle is much more forward than on the high bar squat. That forward lean allows me to really stay arched as I go below parallel. I recommend going light and trying to lean forward more and stick your butt back more.

Steven Bourdage
11-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Stupipd question...what is meant by butt wink? Is that the hips rolling under in the bottom position of the squat??

Brandon Oto
11-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Yep. Loss of the lordotic arch as you descend due to hamstring flexibility.