PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit total video - Thanks for any pointers

Jeremy Stecker
10-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Made a quick video to check my form on the squat, shoulder press, deadlift.

I feel like my squat form is pretty solid, could use some minor tweaks, but I'm working really hard to get my form for the shoulder press and the deadlift better.

Anything you guys notice would be great, and pointers to specifically improve what I'm doing even better. It's one thing to know what to do, its another thing to do it while pulling max loads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CmjHD-lBgc

(W/f safe)

Patrick Donnelly
10-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Firstly, you only get three shots at each heavy lift. You can do all the warm-up sets for each lift as you want, but once you start working the singles, you only get three shots.

Squat: Your back has some SERIOUS rounding at the bottom of the squat. It's a flexibility issue that will lead to injury if you don't fix it. See "Squat Rx #1" for pointers: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search= (Work/Family Safe.)

Shoulder press: At the top, have your shoulder blades pinched together; sticking your head forward helps you do this. You seem to be bending slightly at the knees too, which just means you have to go a bit lighter.

Power cleans: Jump upward, not backward; squat (partially for power clean), rather than spread the legs; get the knees under the bar as it passes so you can get the jump in there, don't do an upright row; keep the elbows up!

Deadlift: Your hips rise too fast, causing you to round in the back, let the bar trace away from the legs, and pull with the back. A slight arch in the back (not slouching - the other direction of arch!) will help you keep your back tighter and recruit more leg muscles. Chest up and shoulders back at full extension!

I'm sorry if this seems like a lot at one time. It's better to fix it sooner rather than later.

Jeremy Stecker
10-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice Patrick. I see all those things. Thanks.

Jason M Struck
10-22-2007, 09:08 AM
i agree with all of Patrick's cues

John Schneider
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Deadlift: Your hips rise too fast, causing you to round in the back, let the bar trace away from the legs, and pull with the back. A slight arch in the back (not slouching - the other direction of arch!) will help you keep your back tighter and recruit more leg muscles. Chest up and shoulders back at full extension!

I don't understand "let the bar trace away from the legs" I always thought the bar was supposed to stay close to the legs. Please explain, thanks.

Patrick Donnelly
10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Re: John
It is supposed to keep in contact. Here's a more clear restatement...

(Problem: ) Your hips rise too fast, causing you to:

(Three bad effects: )
1. round in the back,
2. let the bar trace away from the legs, and
3. pull with the back.

(Solution: ) A slight arch in the back (not slouching - the other direction of arch!) will help you keep your back tighter and recruit more leg muscles.

John Schneider
10-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Got it thanks, I read it wrong the first time.

Jason Hopper
10-25-2007, 01:21 PM
your hamstrings should be on FIRE after a good deadlift session:yikes: