PDA

View Full Version : Cleans - Looking for feedback

Jon Knutsen
09-27-2007, 01:58 AM
I started video taping my cleans last week and noticed a few glaring errors right off the bat - the most obvious one being that I was pulling with my arms before coming anywhere near triple extension. It made me wish I would have started video taping my form a long time go.

Anyways, after a week of working on it I decided that this newer video is at least worth posting to get feedback. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRhK7MbWOw

PS: The video shows my cleans from the front, side, and then in slow-mo.

Lincoln Brigham
09-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I've seen much worse, but there are some things to fix so don't be disheartened. There's some good stuff going on that I won't bore you with.

Your back is not set properly at the start. It is rounded. There is a curve in your lower back, only it's the wrong direction!

As the bar comes off the ground you let your hips rise much faster than your shoulders; they should rise at the same rate.

As you come out of the front squat, your elbows rise. The problem is they should already be up as high as they can go when you receive the bar. You are waiting until you finish standing to get the elbows all the way up, which is WAY too late. Get those elbows around faster and higher.

You're on your toes when you receive the bar in the squat position. Why? You are swinging the bar. You are not drawing the bar towards you as it comes off the ground, it's actually headed slightly away from you. It should scrape your shins and just barely clear you knees. Instead it's 2-3" in front of your knees. You then slam the bar back into your thighs and kick it forward. What you should be doing instead is jumping vertically and simply bringing the bar with you, brushing the thighs not bruising them.

Yes, you bend your arms early. Interestingly, you straighten them right at the most critical moment - the finish of the second pull. In any case, keep them long and passive throughout the first and second pull.

Your front squat stance might be a little wide. Try a touch narrower and see how that feels. Also sit back more on the squat.

Lincoln Brigham
09-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh, and the way you filmed the video is helpful in the EXTREMIS. Good job, more people should do as you've done.

Jay Cohen
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Lincoln/Jon;

Awesome video, great coaching. I learn more from watching the vids and reading the knowledgeable coaching that follows.
Thanks.

Derek Maffett
09-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm no coach or anything, but I just want to second what Lincoln said about the back arch. Definitely some improvement needed there.

Someone more knowledgeable should probably check my statement here, but it seems that you are setting the bar down with a huge amount of bending at the hips and not all that much in the knees. I would think that would just make things worse on your back, considering that it isn't properly arched to begin with.

Lincoln, is that correct?

Lincoln Brigham
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not a big stickler on how one sets the bar down. The load on the back is much less than picking it up. Fix the pull first.

Frank C Ollis
09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Dont forget the WFS tag.

Brandon Oto
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Your left knee shoots inward on your second clean. Not sure if that's a common thing for you, but if it is, look into it.

Jon Knutsen
09-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That definitely gives me plenty to work on for the next couple of... well a while. My back position on the 1st pull/deadlift portion is a constant struggle, especially as I fatique at the end of my workouts. Back to the drawing board.