PDA

View Full Version : Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

Pages : [1] 2 3

Matt DeMinico
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know what the heck is going on, but here's the story (background on me by the way, 27/M, somewhere between 160-165 lbs, it fluctuates):

I eat mostly zone all the time (measured for a while, now I do a combination of eyeball for fresh stuff and gram counting based on "nutritional information" for some lunch meats, cheeses, etc.. that stuff, NOT "chef boyardee").

Anyhow, a while back they had a sale on Breyers at the local grocery store (like 2 for five bucks or something) so I stocked up because I liked to have a bowl here and there. When I was going through a max strength type routine, I would often have a bowl of ice cream before going to bed. I finished the max strength portion and went on to a max power portion, and during most of that time, I would have a bowl of Breyers every single night, whether I did a hard WOD or not. My weight (and waist size) went down during this time.

NOW the strange part, while continuing doing the same thing, I would not eat anything besides a post-workout snack before bed (typically I work out at night). And all of a sudden, my weight (and waist size) started going up, and my waist seemed like it had more flab on it than before.

So I started eating ice cream every night again, and the weight started coming back off, and the flab started going away again. Also, my performance in the WOD's has been getting better and better the whole time, regardless of the direction of my weight. Plus, my blood pressure is typically somewhere around 95/55 or so, maybe 100/60. Resting heart rate somewhere around 48 bpm (although I haven't checked what it's down to lately).

Can anyone explain why this is happening? It seems counter-intuitive. The Breyers is something like 8 grams fat per serving, 20 grams carbs, and 3 grams protein. So it's far from zone friendly.

The only thing I can think of is since I keep a steady supply of fat in my food intake and/or in my tummy at all times, I'm training my body to use fat whenever there's a need, and not spare it, because there's always more on the way. Does that make sense?

Also, I want to make sure I'm not going to end up killing myself doing this, as if I'm unknowingly clogging arteries by eating the ice cream nightly or something because of the higher carb content.

George Mounce
09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Your ice cream is only 2 blocks of carbs, has a low glycemic load.

You'd need to explain what your post-workout meal was. I've never been a fan of a high glycemic index/load meal right before bed.

David Wood
09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
I sense a truly best-selling diet book in the making . . .

Matt DeMinico
09-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I sense a truly best-selling diet book in the making . . .

Heck yeah, go for it!!!

George... as for the question, typically my post workout snack (on a day I plan to have ice cream) is about 2 blocks protein powder, 2 blocks carbs, and 0 blocks fat (theory is, I want it to get into my body quick). The carbs are almost always some sort of fruit (it's been things like strawberries, some watermelon, or some sort of fruit, rarely veggies as I'd have to stuff them down to get enough for 2 blocks, and I usually don't feel like downing a ton of food after a WOD). SOMETIMES when I'm in a hurry, I'll have 2 blocks protein powder, and 1 1/2 block or so of maltodextrin. All this on ice-cream days.

On non-ice cream days, it's pretty much the same thing, except I'll usually also have a 1-block balanced snack just before bed.

Steve Liberati
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Might work short-term but I doubt much it will work over the long haul. Try it for a month or so and report back with the results. I wish you luck man.

Aileen Reid
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I recall a similar thread on this on another message board - a running one. The comment was along the lines that eating icecream at night doesn't seem to put on weight.

It can only be the fact that icecream is low GI - about 32????

Matt DeMinico
09-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Might work short-term but I doubt much it will work over the long haul. Try it for a month or so and report back with the results. I wish you luck man.

I dunno, I kinda am, but I'm just kinda worried about the high imbalance of carbs (sugar) in it, I'm just hoping I'm not unknowingly slowly dropping little bits of artery-clogging gunk every night into my arteries.

James Falkner
09-12-2007, 06:05 AM
It has been argued on this board that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol, and that you can eat as much cholesterol-laden stuff as you want with no effects on arteries. Google for "the cholesterol myth".

Jason Fryer
09-12-2007, 06:27 AM
You mention the cholesterol myth and I ran across some information in my daily reading that I wouldn't quite call the "Glycemic Index Myth" but it is interesting to note:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=929 (W/F/S)

If you scroll to the bottom of the post or search for it it starts after the phrase "My additional commentary on the glycemic index."

Brandon Oto
09-12-2007, 06:45 AM
You might experiment with taking in some better fats, carbs, and protein before bed, retaining a significant kick of calories.

Matt DeMinico
09-12-2007, 07:27 AM
It has been argued on this board that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol, and that you can eat as much cholesterol-laden stuff as you want with no effects on arteries. Google for "the cholesterol myth".

I'm all over the cholesterol myth, heck, I eat eggs all the time despite people's "oh those have lots of cholesterol" warnings. But the fact remains that high carb diets are still a major cause of the heart and circulatory problems we've got in America.

Alicia Michel
09-12-2007, 07:32 AM
that's it. i'm getting some breyers.

:D

Matt DeMinico
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh no, look what I started...

(by the way, their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is EXCELLENT. And I love the Mint Chocolate Chip, and also the Butter Pecan is good, and... um... what else did I try, the Cookies & Cream... mmmm....)

Eric Lester
09-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Is anyone familiar with "The 3 Day Diet"? My parents did it when I was a kid. I remember that every evening they had a bowl of ice cream with dinner. It was required as part of the diet. I always thought that was odd.

Alicia Michel
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
matt, don't worry... i thought we had breyers but it's "dreyers" that we have *cries*

were you eating their original type ice cream? or one of their low fat or low sugar etc varieties?

eric - what is the 3 day diet about??

Craig Brown
09-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Not EXACTLy the same, but while I tend towards a Paeo-informed diet, after about six weeks strict, getting a LOT looser helps me shed fat and helps with energy, for a month or two. Then I go strict...Sort of like crossfit keeping you from fully adapting to the varying workloads, perhaps not getting too static in the diet helps as well?

Craig

Matt DeMinico
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
matt, don't worry... i thought we had breyers but it's "dreyers" that we have *cries*

were you eating their original type ice cream? or one of their low fat or low sugar etc varieties?

eric - what is the 3 day diet about??

Low fat? Low sugar? Man, I don't buy ANYTHING if it says "low" anything. Except maybe canned soup if it's low sodium, I get plenty of sodium in things I eat, and don't need 150% of my RDA from one can of soup.

Heck, it ticks me off when I'm at the store and can't find anything I'm looking for unless I buy a "lowfat" version... like Yogurt.

Brandon Oto
09-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Low sugar's not a bad way to go.

Chris Walls
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Low sugar tends to have artificial sweeteners... 6 of 1 half dozen of the other I guess.

Steven Low
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Shrug. I eat a bowl of ice cream every night too. :)

I'm pretty "skinny".. although it's mainly cause I have a small stomach and tend not to eat a lot.

Tim Donahey
11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
This really works! I've eaten about 4 quarts of ice cream in the last three weeks, mostly as my last meal before bed, and I'm leaner than ever!

Best idea ever!

Matt DeMinico
11-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Heh... this is hilarious. No explanation, just black box at its best.

Of course, I really don't want this black box to end up in some random weird disease from some ingredient Breyers uses thirty years from now, that'd suck.

I do hear they use milk that came from cows with rBgh, which I'd prefer they didn't, but other than that I dunno what I can find wrong with Breyers.

George Mounce
11-19-2007, 07:21 AM
They now have an organic vanilla that tastes to me exactly like homemade ice cream I had as a kid. Little more expensive, but that isn't stopping me. ;)

Organic Breyer's (wfs) http://www.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/30057

Alexander Kornishev
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I do not have an explanation, but rather confirmation of what you experience. A year ago I was following DC body building method (it is probably the best system out there to grow muscles as quickly as possible). As size is the priority number one for bodybuilders many guys on that forum were bragging about 250 and more body weight. I remember one of these monsters from England who did weigh 300 lb off season. When dieting for a show he had very difficult time to keep his calorie intake high enough without carbs (the point is to get lean but not to have any loss of precious muscle weight) he would eat 4.5 L of ice cream every day and judging by his pictures was huge (275 lb at the show) and ripped to the bone.

Emily Mattes
11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Sir, I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

What are the details on this? How much ice cream did you actually have--a serving? Two? Do you follow Paleo/Zone otherwise? Do you have carb-loading days? This sounds too good to be true!

Jay Cohen
11-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Sir, I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

What are the details on this? How much ice cream did you actually have--a serving? Two? Do you follow Paleo/Zone otherwise? Do you have carb-loading days? This sounds too good to be true!

Emily;

Agree. I think their all hallucinating!
Best to ignore them, maybe this thread will go away.

Emily Mattes
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Emily;

Agree. I think their all hallucinating!
Best to ignore them, maybe this thread will go away.

But Jay, I want it to be true! I want it to be true so badly.

Gant Grimes
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Add me to the rolls of Breyer's fans. I follow the Zone, and I consume dairy (including whole milk), so this works. I'll thaw out a couple blocks of cherries, strawberries, or blackberries and go to town on the stuff.

I have a hard time getting enough carbs. In fact, I'm starting to replace some carb blocks with more fat (per Robb Wolf). The ice cream helps. People ask what I'm doing to lose. Drink olive oil and eat ice cream, baby.

Jay Cohen
11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Robb's motto should be:

"Changing the world, one fat block at a time"

Susie Rosenberg
11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

How does the ice cream break down, block-wise?

I'd much rather eat fat than carbs.....maybe there's a Breyer's nightcap in my future...

Eli Burgos
11-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Breyers convinces your body that you are not dieting boosting your metabolism.

Scott Parker
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
gant-

and i thought i was the only one who actually drank olive oil. i will take swigs right from the bottle or shoot 4 tablespoons of it at a time. nasty, but effective!

Scott Parker
11-19-2007, 07:29 PM
just to add, i eat breyers too, and have for a while, but to actually help gain weight. when i was in san diego my trainer actually told me in addition to my 20-25 blocks i was eating a day i should add in like a quart a day. he also prescribed this for guys he was training who were getting ready for BUD/S. if it's breyers vanilla i think one cup is something like 4 blocks, but i may be wrong on that one.

Matt DeMinico
11-20-2007, 07:05 AM

Shoot... ok, lemme have a go at it:
27/M, weigh around 160-165 (it goes back and forth depending on time of day, etc).
I typically eat 5 block meals, but rarely get snacks except pre/post workout, but typically dinner is a very large meal, but still zone ratios. Then about an hour, sometimes two hours after eating dinner, I eat probably 1/5 to 1/3 of the box of Breyers.
I occasionally have a cheat meal, but not really, maybe once in a while I'll have a sugary snack, but lately I've tried to replace snacking with one spoonful (maybe a half or 1/3 scoop) of ice cream. And sometimes I'll have whole cheat meals (like Pizza for a party, or something).

Matt DeMinico
11-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Ok, I'll bite.

How does the ice cream break down, block-wise?

I'd much rather eat fat than carbs.....maybe there's a Breyer's nightcap in my future...

It depends on which one, but they're all pretty close, somewhere around like this for cookie dough (my favorite):
Carbs: 20g (17g sugars)
Fat: 8g
Protein: 3g

Another one I'll have on occasion is Butter Pecan:
Carbs: 14g (14g sugars)
Fat: 10g

Another one, Cookies & Cream:
Carbs: 18g (15g sugars)
Fat: 7g

And finally, the last one in my freezer outside, Mint Chocolate Chip:
Carbs: 17g (17g sugars)
Fat: 8g

So as you can see, it's typically VERY not zone friendly, but it works well.

I wonder if we look into this enough, if it'd end up becoming a CFJ article. And maybe I can get a Breyers sponsorship for my speedskating :) Maybe we'd experiment with different people for a month, all strict zone, with having like some people do Breyers every night, some eat strict zone, some do breyers 3-on 1-off (on the WOD schedule), some doing it 2-on, 2-off, some try it 1-on, 1-off. If we could get enough people to do that with like 5 people in each group, I think it would have SOME statistical significance, and be considered for the CFJ.

David Knutzen
11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I'll sign up for it. I'm already strict zone anyway, and if I get to eat some ice cream, then hells yeah. :highfive:

Ben Moskowitz
11-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Looks like per 1/2 cup serving (I'm assuming)it's
6F 2C

Maybe this is Leptin, cheat-to-lose strategy at work?

Emily Mattes
11-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I volunteer to eat Breyer's every night. It will be tough work but someone has to do it! :D

Ross Hunt
11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Clearly, Breyers is lacing their Rocky Road with androgens in an effort to catch the fringe ice-cream-chomping-fitness-enthusiast market.

As Craig and Ben have suggested, bodybuilders have supposedly found that dumping a big insulin spike on the body periodically takes the body out of fat-storing mode, builds muscle, and jacks up the metabolism. Hence cheat days and diets that revolve around cycling carbohydrate intake: Go low carb for a while, then have a day where you eat a large quantity of high-glycemic carbohydrates. There is a lot of stuff on this at T-nation if you use their search; it's more of a physique-oriented thing than a health thing, but maybe it's good for performance, too.

Tim Donahey
11-20-2007, 05:36 PM
I guess it's worth mentioning that I'm not on Zone. :shrug:

Lee Weisenberger
11-21-2007, 07:06 PM
1/5 to 1/3 of a box each night??? so your eating like 3-5 servings a night, just want to be clear so I can follow you :)

My 1.75 quart container of Breyers oreo says it has 14 servings.

Matt DeMinico
11-22-2007, 07:08 AM
1/5 to 1/3 of a box each night??? so your eating like 3-5 servings a night, just want to be clear so I can follow you :)

Pretty much. That's what it's been lately anyhow, although I think I could get away with 1/5 of a box or so, but lately I've just been hungry.

Peter Dell'Orto
11-24-2007, 12:11 AM
This prompts a few questions

- Is it the ice cream itself, or would an equal load of carbs/fat/protein with a similar glycemic load have the same effect?

- Does it make a difference if you eat the ice cream at night as your final meal, or can it be eaten at different hours with the same effect? (i.e. is it the timing and the meal, or is it the meal by itself?)

- Is it some ingredient in Breyer's that makes a difference? Or conversely, something Breyer's lacks that other ice creams/other foods have that makes it work this way? What other ice creams will this work with (different brands, homemade ice cream, etc.)?

- How much do we get to eat? :)

I'm very curious, because I like ice cream but I've been avoiding it as "junk food" recently (I'm dropping weight for a fight) and I also have no access to Breyer's...

Adam Kayce
11-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Amazing story... and the folks who've said "low GI" are right...

I was reading this thread earlier today, and then just happened to pick up "Mastering the Zone" tonight; the following is excerpted from pages 17 and 18:

... it was found that the sugar in ice cream was entering the bloodstream far more slowly than complex carbohydrates found in a bagel. What was going on? It turns out that a lot of things were.
First, let's look at table sugar. Table sugar is composed of half glucose and half fructose, which is quickly broken down into both simple sugars. The glucose half is rapidly absorbed and enters the bloodstream quickly because it is already in the form your body can use. Fructose, although rapidly absorbed, has to be converted into glucose in the liver before it enters the bloodstream in the useable form of glucose. And this is a very slow process. The end result is that the overall rise of blood glucose is retarded. Since fruits primarily contained fructose, they have a very low glycemic index and stimulate insulin production far less than other carbohydrates, such as grains or starches...
Then consider ice cream, which also has a low glycemic index. The fat in the ice cream acts as a control rod, slowing the entry of any carbohydrates into the bloodstream. That's why the sugar in ice cream enters the bloodstream at a much slower rate than the glucose in a bagel.(emphasis mine)

I'm off to see how my favorite brands of ice cream compare to Breyers (Breyers is good, but Turkey Hill is amazing...)!

Chris Bate
11-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, can someone who has Breyer's post a list of the ingredients - or maybe the top 15? I would be interested in seeing if "high fructose" or "partially hydrogenated" anything is on the list.

Peter Dell'Orto
11-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, can someone who has Breyer's post a list of the ingredients - or maybe the top 15? I would be interested in seeing if "high fructose" or "partially hydrogenated" anything is on the list.

I found this:

http://www.breyers.com/products/product.cfm?u=77567-25423&b=1 (wfs).

Ingredients listed for vanilla are:
INGREDIENTS: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM

Tim Donahey
11-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I found this:

http://www.breyers.com/products/product.cfm?u=77567-25423&b=1 (wfs).

Ingredients listed for vanilla are:
INGREDIENTS: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM

uhhuhuh, natural flavor, uhhuhuh
*drools*

Rod Gates
11-25-2007, 09:28 AM
If I remember correctly, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry looked pretty clean. However, when you start adding things like brownies, cookies etc the ingredient list obviously quickly grows. I'm no nutrition expert, but I would look more closely if your favorites include the varieties with "mixin's" in them. Happy snacking!

Rod

Matt DeMinico
11-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Cookie Dough has the following:
NGREDIENTS: ICE CREAM: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM. CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH PIECES: UNENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR, SUGAR, BROWN SUGAR, PALM OIL, WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, SALT, COCOA BUTTER, CORN STARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR, SOY LECITHIN, BAKING SODA, BETA CAROTENE (FOR COLOR), VITAMIN A PALMITATE. CHOCOLATE FLAVORED CHIPS: SUGAR, COCONUT OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Matt DeMinico
11-25-2007, 07:14 PM
This prompts a few questions

- Is it the ice cream itself, or would an equal load of carbs/fat/protein with a similar glycemic load have the same effect?

- Does it make a difference if you eat the ice cream at night as your final meal, or can it be eaten at different hours with the same effect? (i.e. is it the timing and the meal, or is it the meal by itself?)

- Is it some ingredient in Breyer's that makes a difference? Or conversely, something Breyer's lacks that other ice creams/other foods have that makes it work this way? What other ice creams will this work with (different brands, homemade ice cream, etc.)?

- How much do we get to eat? :)

I'm very curious, because I like ice cream but I've been avoiding it as "junk food" recently (I'm dropping weight for a fight) and I also have no access to Breyer's...

All great questions, and I think if we seriously want to pursue this further, they should be looked into. Anyone want to head up the "Breyers every night" experiment? :)

George Mounce
11-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Either go with all natural vanilla, all natural French vanilla or the organics. The rest add corn syrup and other crap.

The natural flavor is the vanilla beans. :p

Here is a good website to see what is in each (wfs): http://www.icecreamusa.com/products/index.cfm?c=8&b=1

Peter Dell'Orto
11-25-2007, 11:56 PM
All great questions, and I think if we seriously want to pursue this further, they should be looked into. Anyone want to head up the "Breyers every night" experiment? :)

No Breyers for sale here. The closest thing I found is Hershey's chocolate-coated vanilla ice cream bars. Hardly the same thing. Cartons of ice cream don't seem to exist in my part of Japan.

But I'm really curious, I'd love to help. I wonder if adding ice cream to my late-night after-MMA practice protein shake would give me better fat loss than basing it on water, or mixing in a frozen banana and milk. It would taste better, I know that...

Steven Low
11-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Pretty much. That's what it's been lately anyhow, although I think I could get away with 1/5 of a box or so, but lately I've just been hungry.

lol, I usually hit up 5-7 servings which is about 1/3-1/2 of the half galloners. More or less 5-7*140 cals or about 700-900 cals worth of ice cream.

Don't know how healthy that is though.. :rofl:

Susie Rosenberg
11-26-2007, 06:05 AM
You ice-cream swilling guys are killin' me. I'm so jealous I could spit. You have no idea how chubby I would get eating just the damned half-cup serving every night. And who eats just a half-cup of ice cream? Nobody human.

Bah, humbug.

Susie

Cal Jones
11-26-2007, 06:30 AM
I only crave ice cream in summer, fortunately - trouble is I tend to eat the entire tub in one go. :(
There is an organic store down the road that does these incredible farmhouse ice creams. One of my favourites is the rose, almond and cardamom flavour, which sounds odd, but tastes amazing.
I'm also rather partial to Waitrose own brand fig and honey flavour.
I never buy the low fat rubbish. If you're going to eat ice cream at all, get the best stuff possible.

George Mounce
11-26-2007, 07:25 AM
You ice-cream swilling guys are killin' me. I'm so jealous I could spit. You have no idea how chubby I would get eating just the damned half-cup serving every night. And who eats just a half-cup of ice cream? Nobody human.

Bah, humbug.

Susie

Sad to say, but I measure my ice cream out. :rofl:

Susie Rosenberg
11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Sad to say, but I measure my ice cream out. :rofl:

I knew it! You're not human, George!

Tell me you are strong enough to eat just one half-cup of ice cream. That should be a WOD. "Eat one-half cup of ice cream, then stop." See how many people could do it "as Rx'd."

Bah, humbug, I say again!

Susie

Alexander Kornishev
11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
seems like ice cream has been the most popular nutrition topic for the last week . I guess it should be promoted to the status of supplement by now :D:D:D

Aaron Shaffer
11-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I missed this thread earlier. I've been doing a similar thing too, eating a 1/2 pint of Ben & Jerry's every night for extra calories. I started with Chocolate Fudge Brownie but moved to Chubby Hubby after exploring the ingredients/content on every flavor in the huge B&J display at a WalMart Supercenter. Chubby Hubby has a bit more fat with less sugar and almost 2x as much protein as all the others, mostly due to the peanut butter content.

This idea isn't that far off Ripetoe's "drink a gallon of whole milk every day". I decided a combination of whole milk and Ben & Jerry's is a more achievable goal.

Chubby Hubby nutrition data here (http://www.benjerry.com/our_products/nutritional_info.cfm?product_id=26&name=Chubby%20Hubby%C2%AE&type=Original%20Ice%20Cream&form=Pints)

Tim Donahey
11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
B&J's chubby hubby is my absolute favorite ice cream in creation. Chocolate covered peanut butter stuffed pretzels in vanilla fudge ice cream.

Ima gonner fer shur.

Matt DeMinico
11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Tell me you are strong enough to eat just one half-cup of ice cream. That should be a WOD. "Eat one-half cup of ice cream, then stop." See how many people could do it "as Rx'd."

Susie

Now THAT was funny.

Matt DeMinico
11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I missed this thread earlier. I've been doing a similar thing too, eating a 1/2 pint of Ben & Jerry's every night for extra calories. I started with Chocolate Fudge Brownie but moved to Chubby Hubby after exploring the ingredients/content on every flavor in the huge B&J display at a WalMart Supercenter. Chubby Hubby has a bit more fat with less sugar and almost 2x as much protein as all the others, mostly due to the peanut butter content.

This idea isn't that far off Ripetoe's "drink a gallon of whole milk every day". I decided a combination of whole milk and Ben & Jerry's is a more achievable goal.

Chubby Hubby nutrition data here (http://www.benjerry.com/our_products/nutritional_info.cfm?product_id=26&name=Chubby%20Hubby%C2%AE&type=Original%20Ice%20Cream&form=Pints)

Nooooooo!!! Ben & Jerry's? I've been boycotting them bad boys for years now. You all get one guess why, but since it's on the topic of politics, I'll forego explaining it beyond much more than they lean towards a certain side. A lot. Their company statement (no doubt written by a reincarnation of Karl Marx and Neville Chamberlain) includes something like "leading with progressive values and promoting pacifist policies." BAH... you can't wish bad people away Ben & Jerry, sometimes you have to face 'em down. I'd like to *whack* pacifism.

/end rant

Susie Rosenberg
11-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I couldn't stand it any longer.

I'm sitting here eating my one serving portion of Death by Chocolate. It's more than a half-cup---more like a cup, but it's ALL MINE.

I haven't been able to get ice cream off my mind from the moment I first read this thread. See what you've all done!

Just nobody start talking about sex, ok? My husband's away on business.

Susie

Tim Donahey
11-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Nooooooo!!! Ben & Jerry's? I've been boycotting them bad boys for years now. You all get one guess why, but since it's on the topic of politics, I'll forego explaining it beyond much more than they lean towards a certain side. A lot. Their company statement (no doubt written by a reincarnation of Karl Marx and Neville Chamberlain) includes something like "leading with progressive values and promoting pacifist policies." BAH... you can't wish bad people away Ben & Jerry, sometimes you have to face 'em down. I'd like to *whack* pacifism.

/end rant

Now I understand why politics shouldn't be brought up... and I'll suppress my inclination toward dispute b/c I enjoy this thread.

I'll just say that... ice cream is non-partisan... and keep my big tree hugging mouth shut.

Chris Drewry
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Darn you people. I am stuck in a hotel with no ice cream access

George Mounce
11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I remember as a kid every year we made homemade red (strawberry), white (vanilla), and blue (blueberry) ice cream for the 4th of July. This thread has made me want to do that this coming 4th. Random thoughts while eating my ice cream.

I can say that eating ice cream leads to deep thoughts about ice cream.

You know you want it.

Daniel Hoang
11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
I volunteer to eat Breyer's every night. It will be tough work but someone has to do it! :D

ok thats enough suffering for you.. let me relieve you of this chore.. :weight_l:

Sarena Kopciel
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I remember as a kid every year we made homemade red (strawberry), white (vanilla), and blue (blueberry) ice cream for the 4th of July. This thread has made me want to do that this coming 4th. Random thoughts while eating my ice cream.

I can say that eating ice cream leads to deep thoughts about ice cream.

You know you want it.

Please everyone stop this! I dont like ice cream and now I am thinking about it too! Time to say goodnight, brush the teeth and SLEEP!

Chris Drewry
11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
SCORE>

The bar at the hotel had ice cream...

ima eat the whole bowl too

Alexander Kornishev
11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Hmmm... ice-cream ha...I noticed that some of you people previously stated in some other posts that you were on strict Zone diet which made me feel guilty... but not anymore :evilsmile

Matt DeMinico
11-27-2007, 07:55 AM
SCORE>

The bar at the hotel had ice cream...

ima eat the whole bowl too

Heh... you went down to the hotel bar to ask if they had ice cream. What have I done with this thread?

Jay Cohen
11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I snatched this (with good form) from the Performance Menu recipe section, since everybody and their moms are now wolfing down Ice Cream on a daily basis:

Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Nicki Violetti

June 2005

1 can coconut milk
2 cups fresh fruit
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

This is an easy recipe that can be used to satisfy your hankering for a cool and refreshing dessert. We especially love using fresh strawberries, blueberries and peaches.

Simply place all ingredients in blender and puree. Pour into dessert cups (coffee cups work equally well) and put in the freezer for about 1 hour or until it has chilled to an ice cream-like consistency. Enjoy!

Note: Since the sugar content is quite low in comparison to standard ice cream, the mixture will freeze to rock-solid consistency if left in freezer too long. This does not affect flavor, but does slow the rate of consumption.

Makes 4 cups Zone blocks: This is a fat intensive recipe, but hey itís ice cream! One can of coconut milk (13.5 oz) contains 45g or 30 blocks of fat. 2 Cups of berries is equal to 4 blocks of carbs. A one-cup serving of Coconut Milk ice cream yields 1 block carb, and about 7 blocks fat.

Adam Kayce
11-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks for that, Jay... I'm a coconut lover, so I'll give it a shot and report back.

Oh, and I've been eating Breyers as my 5th meal (5-block Zoner) this week, and I have to say, I'm leaning out nicely. Quite the opposite of what I expected, that's for sure!

David Knutzen
11-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Man, more of you are jumping on this ice cream business. I have such a huge sweet tooth that's been my main obstacle in being Zone/paleo. If one more person tells me they're leaning out, then I am joining the bandwagon. Right now I've been stalled at ~11% bf for a while on 15 blocks.

Are you Zoners replacing blocks with the ice cream, or just adding it on at the end of the day?

Adam Kayce
11-30-2007, 04:26 AM
David, I'm just adding it as my last meal... and to the moon with the numbers. :rolleyes: I'm curious to see what others are doing.

The coconut recipe is pretty good, as Rx'ed (we did half strawberries, half blueberries). You wanna watch the freezer time, though; too soon and it's soupy, too long and it's icey.

David Knutzen
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Ok people, I'm going to give this a shot. Here's the plan:

Black box this ice cream thing for 2 weeks. During these 2 weeks, I will consume my normal 15 blocks of paleo foods in 3 meals of 5 blocks each (standard eating regimen for me). Then, approximately 1-2 hours before bedtime, I will eat 1 cup (2 servings) of Breyer's all-natural Rocky Road or Cookies and Cream. This practice will continue as strict as possible for exactly 2 weeks. I will continue to crossfit and add in extra calisthenic/sprint work, as I usually do.

Current stats: 21 years old, 5'9", 143lbs, 12.7% bodyfat according to the US Navy method.

I've gotten slightly leaner than this on straight zone, but I always seem to jog back up when I take a rest day, or simply have a cheat meal (usually winds up being pretty paleo, just lots of extra fat).

George Mounce
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Why not eat the regular stuff. Once it has a name other then vanilla, it has crap in it (read that as corn syrup).

Alexander Kornishev
12-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Current stats: 21 years old, 5'9", 143lbs, 12.7% bodyfat according to the US Navy method.

David, I am not sure what your goal is, but according to your body composition main priority for you should be getting more muscle mass and not getting leaner. 143# sounds a bit low for 5'9". It might hurt your strength results. Just my $0.02

David Knutzen
12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Alex, my understanding of the Zone strategy was to lean up first, then increase fat blocks to fuel activity and add muscle. And, truth be told, I've actually slowly and steadily been adding some lean mass on this amount of blocks/activity, since I've lost visible/percieved fat in the midsection while staying roughly the same weight.

Another issue is that I'm an Air Force ROTC cadet, and the USAF measures the waist as part of the PFT. Currently, I'm maxing it (32"), but I recently was not, and that's been part of my motivation to slim down a bit. I was considering knocking it up to 17/18 blocks to add some muscle, now that I'm good to go on the waist measurement. 1 cup of ice cream is about 4 extra block's worth of calories, so we'll see what happens.

As far as this ice cream thing is concerned, I just want to find out if everyone's lying to me or not. :p I figure 2 weeks of eating ice cream probably won't kill me, and the extra calories aren't going to be wasted, seeing as I'm a skinny little bugger.

George Mounce
12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
David, I can say that if you aren't where you want to be right now, adding ice cream probably won't help. Get where you want to be first, then add it. (I'm a 100 PFT scorer with a 30" waist at 5'11" and 177).

Johan Blixt Dackhammar
12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Hmm, I eat lot's of ice-cream and chocolate regularly, although I don't eat the ice-cream night-time but mostly for breakfast or in the afternoon. Perhaps I shouldn't stop :)

Matt DeMinico
12-03-2007, 09:11 PM
mmm... eating my Breyers right now. Yummy

I've actually been drinking lots of milk and eating lots lately, and have been staying stable, gaining a little actually. I'm trying to gain some to get some mass on my upper body, so the heavier WOD's aren't so taxing on me. Plus Thanksgiving weekend in Cleveland didn't do too well for my weight. At my parents place, I eat all crap. They try to eat healthy, but it's a farce...

Oliver Gould
12-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm trying this Breyers thing out for a few weeks, curiosity got the better of me. I'm adding the Breyers at the end of my day, it feels very strange though. There's something about having to put in the care and effort to eat weighed and measured zone all day and then downing a bowl of ice cream that just doesn't sit right. It's been 5 days and I haven't gained an ounce as far as I can tell. The first WOD after I started I got extremely light headed in a way I haven't felt since I started CF, but since then no problems.

And its delicious (breyers original french vanilla)

Susie Rosenberg
12-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Ok. I have to confess.

Since getting caught up in this thread, I went out and bought a BIG container of Breyer's all natural vanilla ice cream, and I've eaten a 1 cup serving most nights for the past week.

My weight's down 2 pounds after holding steady for weeks.

I swear I don't understand it: I have just added these calories, not substituted them for anything. Brings me up to 1800-2000 cal./day. How is this possible???? Am I going to wake up an ice cream blimp one morning?

Susie

Peter Dell'Orto
12-07-2007, 06:23 AM
I finally found reasonably priced ice cream in Japan - containers, maybe about a pint (it doesn't have any size markings at all) of Lady Borden ice cream. I've been eating a small serving a couple times a week. We'll see how it goes.

The ice cream is about $4 for a pint, which isn't bad...the imported vanilla ice cream from Italy I found in a big supermarket was $12 for 1.75L.

Rob Lorenzini
12-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow I saw this post and I have something to add. I do not claim to understand how eating ice cream might work but I have a somewhat similiar experience.

I have lost 33 lbs in the last 14 weeks Crossfitting and using the zone. I am a longtime weightlifter and decided I needed to get fit and lean.

Anywho - I hit a major sticking point about 3 weeks ago. So I decided to up my calories a bit, my solution..... 12 to 16 oz. of 2% milk (hormone free stuff I give my kids) and 1 to 1.5 tbsp of natural peanut butter about 20 mins before bed.

And voila since I starting doing this, I have dropped weight more rapidly than before without really changing the other varibles (diet & workout regime).

Steve Liberati
12-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Never know, maybe you guys are on to something making for a very interesting Journal article someday. Despite the science (or lack of) behind this 'Breyers Ice Cream" phenomenon I'm now curious to black box this one myself and see what happens. Although I try not to patronize the large food companies, this one might be too hard to resist.

David Knutzen
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Rob, I suspect that you've found the cause behind this thing. I'm inclined to believe that the increased/resumed (for those of us who stalled) fat loss was due to a lack of calories more than anything. Adding the ice cream gives people a somewhat low GI (as mentioned earlier in this thread) source of additional calories, which might be enough to convince our body to drop that last bit of fat.

Aileen Reid
12-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Snap! That was the exact comment I just made to my partner. Blunted metabolism being revved up by the few extra cals.

Peter Dell'Orto
12-08-2007, 02:22 AM
That's pretty easily testable, though - if it's just late-night pre-bed calories, any similar food should do it. Anyone have a non-ice cream low GI food they want to try it with? Dark chocolate and some nuts, maybe?

I'll see if I drop body fat by eating ice cream. I was already packing in extra fat and protein at bedtime to ensure my body had the fuel it needed to put on muscle while I slept. Got used to downing a bunch of food, brushing my teeth, and then zonking out. Only difference now is sometimes that food includes matcha flavored ice cream. :)

Martin McVitty
12-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Oh I am so adding an ice cream supplement to my diet on training days. I haven't been this excited since I discovered crossfit!!:pepper:

Cal Jones
12-08-2007, 06:16 AM
I am wondering if putting something ice cold in your stomach also provokes a calorie burning response (apparently drinking ice water makes you burn more calories as your body tries to bring it up to temperature - perhaps ice cream is the same?) The extra calories probably do help though, if your metabolism is getting sluggish.
Susie, I'm not surprised you've lost weight given you've been doing all that crazy rowing!

As for me I'm down a couple of pounds and I've been eating grains and chocolate. Go figure.

Christine Reinhart
12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Every time I come back to this thread it blows my mind to think that such a wonderful, but "forbidden" food is having this effect on body composition. I too love ice cream and I'm really tempted to jump on board and give this a try.

Peter - I just spent a month in Japan...loved the matcha ice cream! Hope I can find some here. :)

Franklin Shogie
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
can Breyers be improved by mixing in a good protein powder for a midnite type snack?

Darren Zega
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
can Breyers be improved by mixing in a good protein powder for a midnite type snack?
YES! Coffee ice cream with chocolate protein powder is awesome. You have to let it get a little melty first, otherwise you end up with a chunky mess.

Susie Rosenberg
12-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm a freakin' masochist, I swear. I keep reading this thread and it sets me off on ice cream fantasies! OMG, coffee ice cream + chocolate protein powder = mocha.

:no000000: No more ice cream! I'm over my quota!

Steven Low
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I am wondering if putting something ice cold in your stomach also provokes a calorie burning response (apparently drinking ice water makes you burn more calories as your body tries to bring it up to temperature - perhaps ice cream is the same?) The extra calories probably do help though, if your metabolism is getting sluggish.
Susie, I'm not surprised you've lost weight given you've been doing all that crazy rowing!

As for me I'm down a couple of pounds and I've been eating grains and chocolate. Go figure.
Nope. If you do the math you have to drink like 10 liters of 0 Celsius water to burn 100 calories. Not really feasible.. and not the answer we're looking for here. ;)

Metabolic response from the type of macro is probably the answer.. rather than response because of the cold. If I wanted to jack up core temp metabolism might as well go take a cold shower (but in the end that's not a lot of cals burnt either hence we don't do it for that reason).

Bryant A Buchanan
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Hows this sound.

1scoop of Double Rich Chocolate on whey protein
2cups of Breyers Butter Pecan Ice Cream
1/2 cup of milk

In a shake before bed?

Ben Moskowitz
12-11-2007, 05:58 AM
OMG, coffee ice cream + chocolate protein powder = mocha.

:no000000: No more ice cream! I'm over my quota!

I just realized we have a poet on our hands. :D

Susie Rosenberg
12-11-2007, 06:21 AM
I just realized we have a poet on our hands. :D

Hehehe....that was unintentional. This isn't:

There once was a girl named Susie
Who was really a lollapaloozie.
She loved her ice cream
With hot fudge and whipped cream,
Which made of her butt quite a doozie.

Jay Cohen
12-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Hehehe....that was unintentional. This isn't:

There once was a girl named Susie
Who was really a lollapaloozie.
She loved her ice cream
With hot fudge and whipped cream,
Which made of her butt quite a doozie.

Don't quit your day job just yet.

Dan Heaney
12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Just had my cup of Breyers of Butter Almond. That stuff is too good!!!

Rob Marrison
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Check out "Nurturing Traditions" (I forget the authors, goggle it). It is about traditional pre-industrial diets. It is co-authored by a lipid researcher. It doesn't directly contradict the Zone, except that it says saturated fats are very good for you.

I wonder if Zoners on a very low saturated fat diet and a high mono-unsaturated fat ratio would benefit from the butter fat in the cream of ice-cream? Maybe that's the key.

Matt DeMinico
12-12-2007, 01:01 PM
I dunno, but my diet consists of a couple pounds of grassfed beef per week, plenty of chicken, sometimes some kielbasa, eggs out the wazoo, whatever... Aka plenty of saturated fats. I have meat at basically every meal except breakfast. Except if I have some leftover kielbasa in the fridge (like I do now), I eat that for part of breakfast... mmmm

Rob Marrison
12-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I dunno, but my diet consists of a couple pounds of grassfed beef per week, plenty of chicken, sometimes some kielbasa, eggs out the wazoo, whatever... Aka plenty of saturated fats. I have meat at basically every meal except breakfast. Except if I have some leftover kielbasa in the fridge (like I do now), I eat that for part of breakfast... mmmm

Well I don't know. I have noticed that whole milk is the perfect Zone food and I love it. Why ice cream though? I still bet on the milk fat.

Jason Tanner
12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Matt, have you seen any decrease in performance since you've done the Breyers every night? I'm really curious about the whole ice cream argument.

Adam Kayce
12-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, I think I got a bit too hopeful, here...

I'm not like you skinny guys, looking to pack on mass or lose those last couple of bf %-points; I'm a hefty guy trying to shed about half of my fat %age.

Needless to say, my Breyer's experiment backfired, and the weight I was losing while abstaining from the vanilla-bean-flecked, manna-from-heaven came back after doing a two-week stint on the ice cream.

So, no more of this thread for me; I'm off in search of the "how I lost 20 pounds of fat in 30 days" discussions... :(

Craig Brown
12-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Somehow I've stayed away for months on this one.

Fat just rules. The obvious 'test' is to see if a 'straight' dose of fat would have the same effect as the Breyers, or if you need it to be milk fat and the sugar actually helps. I am in way better shape with a vastly increased (upped the amount of oil I stir fry in, upped my whole egg consumption, upped my butter usage added flax and cod liver oil +lecithin) fat input for the past three months, though I haven't tried the ice cream yet this time. I will admit that when I did my insane super squats program years ago, the part where I went from about 175 to 215 was done via milk, ice cream, and MetRx shakes. I mean a LOT of ice cream in those shakes. Like they looked at me funny in the supermarket a lot...

John McCallum, he the man, still.

Craig

Matt DeMinico
12-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, I think I got a bit too hopeful, here...

I'm not like you skinny guys, looking to pack on mass or lose those last couple of bf %-points; I'm a hefty guy trying to shed about half of my fat %age.

Needless to say, my Breyer's experiment backfired, and the weight I was losing while abstaining from the vanilla-bean-flecked, manna-from-heaven came back after doing a two-week stint on the ice cream.

So, no more of this thread for me; I'm off in search of the "how I lost 20 pounds of fat in 30 days" discussions... :(

Heh... What else were you eating? Following the zone pretty strict?

Dan Heaney
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Who's still doing this? anyone? Just curious how it's going

Tim Donahey
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Why would I stop? :D

Derek Maffett
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I've had some ice cream and nuts recently. No ill effects from it so far as I know. I think bodyfat might have gone down a little, but I haven't eaten much ice cream so I don't think it counts as a data point.

This is an interesting discussion.

Thomas Bailly
02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Adequate fat in an athletes diet promotes fat burning.
The sugar swings would kill me on an ice cream diet.

Carlos Cristan
02-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I've been having about 3/4 of a cup almost every night. Other than that I am a Strict Zoner all day. Im not a skinny guy either. Been zoning a month now. Started at 29% BF Im now at 26%. I weigh and tape myself regularly. Since I started with the ice cream I stopped losing weight. Im holding steady at 205# but my waistline is getting smaller and smaller everytime I measure. If only by fractions of an inch but still. My performance was through the roof after I started zoning, and eating ice cream hasn't changed that; still improving performance daily. So I second Tim's reply....Why would I stop? I hadn't done the Bryers, im actually kind of enjoying the Ben and Jerrys myself.

Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer
02-13-2008, 09:09 AM
At least Breyers has some flavors(coffee)that are sweetened with sugar and not corn syrup. I found that even regular sugar messes me up and gives me sugar cravings. I am interested in hearing about strength gains on ice cream.

Nick Cummings
02-13-2008, 09:44 AM
This whole phenomenon could possibly be explained by leptin levels. Leptin, generically, serves as an indicator or levels of bodyfat and levels of food intake to the brain and hormonal system. If calorie intake is sustained at a low level, perhaps on the Zone, then leptin levels could drop. This "refeed" with in this case ice cream could serve to increase the bodies leptin levels telling the body that food intake and bodyfat levels are sufficient to utilize more of the bodies fat stores.

This approach is taken by cyclic ketogenic diets, the Metabolic Diet, and Cheat to Lose diet among likely many others I am not aware of.

Grae Yohe
02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
I started doing this about 10 weeks ago. I eat quite a lot (a few cups' worth) of Breyer's All-Natural Chocolate flavor plus a giant spoonful of peanut butter mixed in. I figure it's about 600-700 calories.

Started at 204 lbs and maybe 12% body fat. I'm 202 today, about the same %. So no adverse effects on weight. I'll have a blood draw in 2 weeks, so we'll see how that comes out too. I feel a lot stronger and faster, but that could be in my head.

Dan Heaney
02-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I started doing this about 10 weeks ago. I eat quite a lot (a few cups' worth) of Breyer's All-Natural Chocolate flavor plus a giant spoonful of peanut butter mixed in. I figure it's about 600-700 calories.

Started at 204 lbs and maybe 12% body fat. I'm 202 today, about the same %. So no adverse effects on weight. I'll have a blood draw in 2 weeks, so we'll see how that comes out too. I feel a lot stronger and faster, but that could be in my head.

I'm eating mine in about a half hour:kicking0:

Howard Wilcox
02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I only made it to page 2 before I had to go get a bowl.

This combined with Rip stating that chocolate milk was the best post-workout "supplement" and I'm in heaven lately.

howard

Matt DeMinico
02-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Heh, Breyers, bringing joy to Crossfitters everywhere.

David Knutzen
02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
For me, the ice cream thing really works out. 15 blocks straight up is too little food, and I start to lose muscle while retaining fat. 15 blocks at x2 fat is where I maintain weight, perhaps gaining slightly. However, 15 blocks + 1 cup of ice cream lets me ever-so-slowly put on muscle and strength, while dropping bodyfat quite rapidly. I'm at the leanest and strongest I've ever been.

Simeon Priest
02-28-2008, 03:26 PM
This whole phenomenon could possibly be explained by leptin levels. Leptin, generically, serves as an indicator or levels of bodyfat and levels of food intake to the brain and hormonal system. If calorie intake is sustained at a low level, perhaps on the Zone, then leptin levels could drop. This "refeed" with in this case ice cream could serve to increase the bodies leptin levels telling the body that food intake and bodyfat levels are sufficient to utilize more of the bodies fat stores.

This approach is taken by cyclic ketogenic diets, the Metabolic Diet, and Cheat to Lose diet among likely many others I am not aware of.

Do you think this theory would make sense for someone who's not on the zone diet. Or any other diet for that matter...just someone eating cleanly.

Gant Grimes
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM

I ditched the powders a couple months ago. If you want protein, I've found there is little that tastes better than steak, ice cream, and cherries. On my cheat day, I'll knock back a 12 oz. burger with a big *** milkshake. Excellent.

Sean McMaster
02-29-2008, 10:30 AM
...I've found there is little that tastes better than steak, ice cream, and cherries.

Just place all ingredients into VitaMix and blend for three minutes on high....

Ryan Jones
03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Sign me up for the ice cream diet. I usually feel like crap after eating ... crap. But two nights in a row of cold stone cake batter ice cream with fruit mixed in led to no adverse effects, not even to the wallet as I had a gift card :D.

Chris Bate
03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I wonder how much the macronutrient profile is affecting these newfound qualities of ice cream... I was looking for some all natural ice cream lately but could only find this vanilla at Costco that was all natural (no corn syrup and such)... The thing is that it is "super premium" and has like 18 grams of fat and 21 or so grams of sugar per serving...:rofl: I seem to recall the all natural Breyers being lower than that.

Howard Wilcox
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
For the record, that super-premium stuff is muy bien.

I normally wouldn't even consider such an "off-brand" but we had some at a company quarterly. And it was excellent.

howard

Brandon Oto
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
I'd like to suggest a hypothesis suggested by this whole mess.

Posited: That most CrossFitters on strict Zone diets aren't eating enough.

This probably wouldn't be that hard to test.

Matt DeMinico
03-05-2008, 08:15 AM

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure I was eating more than enough on the days I didn't eat breyers. Heck, often I'd down 40-50g of fat from olive oil with a small zone snack.

Dan Heaney
04-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure I was eating more than enough on the days I didn't eat breyers. Heck, often I'd down 40-50g of fat from olive oil with a small zone snack.

Are you still on the ice cream?

Andres Gordo
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Look what you guys did, I just bought a breyer's butter almond, and having some....

Lets see if it works out.

Paul McKirdy
04-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I've had some ice cream and nuts recently. No ill effects from it so far as I know. I think bodyfat might have gone down a little, but I haven't eaten much ice cream so I don't think it counts as a data point.

This is an interesting discussion.

This is how I have it. I have a raw nut mix of 1/3 walnuts almonds and pecans. Have about a 1/2 cup of this mixture with 1 cup Breyers cherry vanilla. Not EVERY day, but at least twice a week, usually in the mid-evening'ish after last "meal" of the day. Definitely seems to help when I have it, now I almost crave it. Like a bear craving moths for fat on barren rocky slopes :). That Planet Earth series is awesome. :D

Christin Street
04-27-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm with you Brandon. Zoners can't possibly be eating enough.
I love ice cream. Used to eat it every night b4 bed but limit it to about twice a week now.

Matt DeMinico
04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Are you still on the ice cream?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. To answer the question:

Here you can see the freezer in the house (this doesn't count the two boxes we just finished yesterday, I finished one that was almost gone, and my wife finished one that was about completely empty)
http://www.board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1685&stc=1&d=1209328998

This is our spare freezer. Breyers, chicken, frozen veggies, and grassfed beef.
http://www.board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1684&stc=1&d=1209328976

Joe Bernard
04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Wow, that's alot of ice cream Matt. I see you have cookie dough, that is my favorite! Too bad I gave up ice cream...I have had only 1 bowl of cookie dough in the past year and a half, and it was because I was sick and had to eat really soft food.

Corey Cedeno
04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow, I'm going to have to try this out. I'm stalemating on the last couple pounds I've always wanted to lose.

Question though, What is the term "black-boxing" I've read refer to?

Andres Gordo
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Matt thats a lot of ice cream and food. How long does that last you?

Alicia Michel
04-27-2008, 06:39 PM
WOW lots of Breyers!
Hey we should start a Post A Picture Of Your Fridge thread :)

Bonny Guang
04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
ugh, i just had a frappe that was instigated by this thread and now I feel like throwing up. I think I've been off ice cream for too long. Oh well.

Rachel Izzo
04-27-2008, 07:42 PM
haha i had some baskin robbins before and then some more chocolate. felt fine, just tired. but i guess i'm young and can tolerate that crap, at least to some extent.

bonny, where in newton do you live? I used to live in Wellesley.

Joe Bernard
04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Corey, black box means trying something and seeing how it works, then tweaking it for optimal results. For example, some people can tolerate dairy while others can't. If you say that you love dairy and still want to eat it, but ask how much should you eat of it a week, I would say black box. You would fool around and see how much dairy intake you can handle while increasing performance overtime. It varies from person to person, so that is why the term is called black box. You throw things into a "box" and see what works and doesn't, and throw some more stuff in and take some stuff out until you get optimal results. Kind of a long explanation....sorry :D

Rohan Sookdeo
04-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I thought this evil thread went away. I had not seen it for a while, I go away for a weekend when I get back here it is. Thanks everyone, gonna go hunt some breyers vanilla now. ohhh the agony.

Dan Heaney
04-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Sorry, I didn't see this until now. To answer the question:

Here you can see the freezer in the house (this doesn't count the two boxes we just finished yesterday, I finished one that was almost gone, and my wife finished one that was about completely empty)

That's awesome! I still have it 2-3 times a week.:kicking0:

Corey Cedeno
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Corey, black box means trying something and seeing how it works, then tweaking it for optimal results. For example, some people can tolerate dairy while others can't. If you say that you love dairy and still want to eat it, but ask how much should you eat of it a week, I would say black box. You would fool around and see how much dairy intake you can handle while increasing performance overtime. It varies from person to person, so that is why the term is called black box. You throw things into a "box" and see what works and doesn't, and throw some more stuff in and take some stuff out until you get optimal results. Kind of a long explanation....sorry :D

Thanks Joe. Long but well done.

Bonny Guang
04-28-2008, 02:24 PM
haha i had some baskin robbins before and then some more chocolate. felt fine, just tired. but i guess i'm young and can tolerate that crap, at least to some extent.

bonny, where in newton do you live? I used to live in Wellesley.

lol, I'm actually younger than you, I'm 17. My whole family is lactose intolerant-ish though, so I probably am too to some extent.

I live in Newtonville. Not as close as Lower Falls to Wellesley, but close enough.

Brett Dartt
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
wow!! this thread is awesome. i was just telling my girlfriend that it was weird that i was alot leaner when i used to eat a pint of icecream almost every night. this was a few years ago. i got on some f'd upped anxiety medication and gained thirty pounds quit the ice cream and started eating healthier and ive still never been the same. been crossfitting for almost a month and lost about 3%bodyfat but no weight yet and am wondering if i should go back to my icecream diet. just to much of a coincidence.(me talking to her about this last night and running across this thread.)

Rachel Izzo
04-28-2008, 08:37 PM
lol, I'm actually younger than you, I'm 17. My whole family is lactose intolerant-ish though, so I probably am too to some extent.

I live in Newtonville. Not as close as Lower Falls to Wellesley, but close enough.

oh wow never would have guessed that! I'm usually the younger one around here. makes sense though.

ah yes, good old swellesley. i'll be heading back that way in june. i used to live right on the border, near lower falls, a couple blocks up.

Mark Cheney
04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I understand that Breyer's was preferred because it was "all natural." I would think that you could up the "all natural" aspect of it by making it yourself and knowing the source of your ingredients. Has anyone done the same experiment with homemade ice cream?

Gant Grimes
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Actually, it was my daughter's birthday last week, and I just finished off 1.5 gallons of homemade ice cream over a 5-day period. It was damn good.

(I ate 2/3 of a big-*** chocolate cake, too).

This is the best thing to ever come out of the black box. To all the non-believers, I shed my last 2% of BF by increasing my olive oil and ice cream intake. Good stuff.

Dan Heaney
04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I understand that Breyer's was preferred because it was "all natural." I would think that you could up the "all natural" aspect of it by making it yourself and knowing the source of your ingredients. Has anyone done the same experiment with homemade ice cream?

I haven't but I have used other brands and it made no difference.

Dan Heaney
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Actually, I just finished off 1.5 gallons of homemade ice cream over a 5-day period. It was damn good.

Nice Work!!

Matt DeMinico
04-30-2008, 12:20 PM

There was no preference for brand, it was just my favorite (all the others seemed like they tasted like crap to me). Plus Breyers seems to have plenty of fat in it.

Jenna Dodge
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
After reading this board a while ago I set out to find some icecream. I was visiting a strange town (Bellingham, WA) and was at a 7-11 (also something we don't have in MT!!!). ANYWAY, I compared all the nutrition facts of the icecream that the store had - Ben and Jerry's, Starbucks, some others. They did not have Breyers but I chose as best I could - I did notice that almost every brand had WAY more sugar than Breyers, as well as not as much fat. Also a laundry-list of ingredients.

if I recall part of the assumed benefit of Breyers is that has so many fat blocks per carb block that it can be treated as pretty much all fat....I think the other hypothesis was eating the ice cream right before bed...but i forget why. just extra fat to sleep on i assume.

I'd say homemade icecream would be great as long as it has enough fat.

Also, as an interesting side note, I used to work at an ice cream shop in Colorado (during my freshman year of college) where we served ice cream that was 15% fat (legally, ice cream has to be at least 10-12% fat or it is called ice milk, a la Dairy Queen - which we DO have in montana!). ANYWAY, I was 19 years old at the time, but was up to nearly 140 lbs my senior year of high school. Upon starting work at the ice cream shop i was down to 130 from bike riding alone, but I dropped another 10 pounds quickly as a result of riding a lot and eating AT LEAST a pint of ice cream every day. I'm a believer, especially of the high fat stuff. The trick is to NOT add sugary mix-ins and sugar cones, etc.

Laura Kurth
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
oh i have to stop reading this thread as it always makes me want icecream.... problem for me is willpower, I can eat no ice cream at all, but i do not think I can eat a half a cup of it and leave the rest of the quart in the freezer!

Jenna Dodge
04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
How many folks out there actually eat only 1/2 cup? I usually eat 1-1.5 cups (i know, i know, that's a lot). who are these people with so much willpower?

Derek Maffett
04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I was visiting a strange town (Bellingham, WA)

Hey, now, just wait a minute. :p

Laura Kurth
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah, half a cup of icecream is NOTHING. Unless its something really dense like one of those B&J flavors with all the chocolate chunks in them etc. (350 cals for half a cup) then maybe.. but stil I would probably be going back to the freezer again for more.

I'm hungry :D

Jenna Dodge
04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey, now, just wait a minute. :p

I LOVE Bellingham....it's just strange, to me. I wish they had a graduate school program I was interested in...i'd be all over it.

Is Castle Rock near Bellingham? Bellingham has sweet dirt jumps...

Gant Grimes
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
How many folks out there actually eat only 1/2 cup? I usually eat 1-1.5 cups (i know, i know, that's a lot). who are these people with so much willpower?

I don't know. Last night's dinner was 6 oz. chicken, 6 oz. sausage, a shot of olive oil, and a quart of homemade ice cream. Excellent.

Brett Dartt
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
i actually have the all natural haagen daaz vanilla honey bee.
that is some damn good icecream.
ingredients: cream, skim milk,honey,egg yolk, sugar and natural vanilla.
thats it.
mmmmm love that smoothe creamy ice cream with honey flavor

Rachel Izzo
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
now i want ice cream ...

Derek Maffett
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Is Castle Rock near Bellingham? Bellingham has sweet dirt jumps...

Actually, Castle Rock is the speck above Longview. You have to look really close.

Andres Gordo
04-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't know. Last night's dinner was 6 oz. chicken, 6 oz. sausage, a shot of olive oil, and a quart of homemade ice cream. Excellent.

Homemade? Would you be kind to enlighten us with the recipes?

Daniel Mick
04-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Anyone tried just straight up whole milk...? I would guess it would have similar results. Anyone give word for it?

Dan Heaney
05-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Anyone tried just straight up whole milk...? I would guess it would have similar results. Anyone give word for it?

Let's see..... Ice Cream or Milk?????? ICE CREAM

Lorraine Martinek
05-01-2008, 06:22 AM

/end rant

They may say that but they were purchased by Unilever, a world wide company several years ago when I worked there. B&J peeps thought they were going to run it as they always have- but Unilever sent the corporate goons up there to lay down the new law. I doubt they are as liberal as they want to be- Unilever is more worried about the profits (as a good company should:evilsmile) than B&J's load of political crap. I find it funny that B&J started the company with all these politcal beliefs but sold out for the money- kind of ironic

Matt DeMinico
05-01-2008, 07:28 AM
They may say that but they were purchased by Unilever, a world wide company several years ago when I worked there. B&J peeps thought they were going to run it as they always have- but Unilever sent the corporate goons up there to lay down the new law. I doubt they are as liberal as they want to be- Unilever is more worried about the profits (as a good company should:evilsmile) than B&J's load of political crap. I find it funny that B&J started the company with all these politcal beliefs but sold out for the money- kind of ironic

Yes it surely is.

BUT, mods have been slamming threads lately for politics, so I want to avoid digging this issue back up. This has got to be one of the longest stinkin' threads on this board, and I'd like to keep it going that way. Even though I probably started it way back when.

Gant Grimes
05-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Homemade? Would you be kind to enlighten us with the recipes?

There are lots of recipes out there.

The one I use, IIRC, as written, is:
* 4 whole eggs, beat on high
* 2.5 c sugar, add VERY gradually
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 2 tbsp. Vanilla (use pure extract, not imitation)
* 2 pints half and half
* 1 cup whipping cream
* Add to freezer and fill to line with whole milk

I've cut down the sugar, and I've used 2% milk (when I was a wuss, now it's whole milk all the way), and things were fine. You might be able to cut out the sugar entirely or sub with something else. I'm just giving the recipe as written. It's simple, and it tastes great.

Next time I do this, I'm going to divide it into several containers. I need to add a little chocolate chip cookie dough and mint chocolate chip post-mixing.

Jenna Dodge
05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
What do you freeze it in? You say "fill to line with whole milk"...what line? What container?

Jason Naubur
05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I am reading an interview with Gary Taubes and he off-handedly refers to the 'Ice Cream Diet' (Very bottom of this post - wfs: http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2008/01/11/interview-with-gary-taubes-part-8/ ) so I googled it, and lo and behold - there is an Ice Cream diet. (wfs - http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-fitness/the-ice-cream-diet.html )

Go figure, eh? They do mention calorie reduced ice cream (isn't that like de-alcoholized beer?). But still, kind of funny considering this post! Maybe there is something to it.

Oh, and about the homemade varieties - those with children should try the ice cream in a bag experiment! (wfs - http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/science/icecream051999.html ) fun and educational!

Jason

Bonny Guang
05-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I did the ice cream experiment freshman year in high school. It was incredibly fun, but a bit too messy to make it really worthwhile, since the ice cream didn't taste that great anyway.

Daniel Mick
05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Let's see..... Ice Cream or Milk?????? ICE CREAM

Yes, yes, I know.:p The point is figuring out how/why it works. The thread has been loaded with discussions about how to find the 'purest' ice cream indicating that people realize it's not "1/2 a cup" of sugar and a slew of artificial additives that's causing the affect. That's why I ask if anyone (maybe SS adherents?) have noticed the same result with whole milk.

BTW, a 500ml milk chug is quick delicious and satisfying. Add some flavoring of your own (vanilla, chocolate, honey, etc all work just as well in plain milk as flavorings) for a sweeter drink. Mmmm, I think maybe I'll have me a hot milk and honey tonight. :stir:

Rachel Izzo
05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
BTW, a 500ml milk chug is quick delicious and satisfying. Add some flavoring of your own (vanilla, chocolate, honey, etc all work just as well in plain milk as flavorings) for a sweeter drink. Mmmm, I think maybe I'll have me a hot milk and honey tonight. :stir:

ahhh, but it's just not the same! :)

Brandon Oto
05-02-2008, 03:52 AM

Try cinnamon... supposed to increase insulin sensitivity as well.

Jack Gayton
05-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Just for the record.. This thread has made me drive to the store about 5 different times.. Well, maybe 2 of those times were based on demands of a pregnant wife..

Anyway, I'm off to hunt down some breyers..

Rachel Izzo
05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I had dairy queen yesterday ... probably as far from all natural as you can possibly get, but it was still quite good!

John S Park
05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
isn't it the calcium that makes this diet work so well? i ate a spinach dip yesterday with 4 cups of spinach, tahini, and onions, and i think it helped me lean out some more too

Andres Gordo
05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Well already have eaten 2 boxes of Breyers (all natural both), I have not gained fat, stayed the same. So is good!

George Mounce
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Heh, I had a bowl of strawberry Breyer's tonight. Sooo good. Funny, but I seem to sleep better when having Breyer's before bed too.

Gant Grimes
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes, yes, I know.:p The point is figuring out how/why it works.

Hell no! The point is that it works. If we try to figure out why, we might mess around and not be able to eat the stuff. I'm sewing this gift horse's mouth shut.

Gayle Malinowski
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Where has this thread been all my life!! :D

I've been making my own ice cream for the last couple of years, mostly in the summer. It's really nice being able to control the ingredients and get creative. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that makes about 1.5 quarts at a time.

Here are links to a couple of the "odder" ice cream recipes that I've tried. Both links are w/f safe:

Honey Semifreddo from Nigella Lawson (doesn't require churning)
http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516258

Avacado Ice Cream from Alton Brown
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32237,00.html

Rachel Izzo
05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Question, when you guys all eat ice cream, do you only notice the benefits or the lack of ill effects when you eat it at night? Or is it any time of the day?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this one ...

John S Park
05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Calcium is a very important nutrient for metabolic activities..

The majority of people's diets are highly lacking in calcium, as the main sources are dairy or greens.. Dairy is packed with calcium. Veggies such as cabbage, spinach, kale, and broccoli have calcium but you need to eat large amounts to satisfy the daily requirements.. Salmon also has some calcium, but most people aren't going to be eating pounds of it. Beans are also sources of calcium , but is excluded in the paleo diet that many members here take part in.. I believe it is the huge boost of calcium that we are getting that allows for muscle growth, regulated blood pH and coagulation, proper functioning of heart and nerves..

I'm thinking about going out to get some bryer's myself lol.. I have a lot of raw milk in the fridge though, but ice cream just sounds like an awesome treat

A great calcium filled spinach dip I found on a website:

4 cups chopped raw spinach
1/2 cup raw tahini (ground up sesame seeds which also has calcium)
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)

*Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree. I cut up a cucumber into slices and just dipped it as a snack.. I noticed I leaned out much more the next morning!

John S Park
05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
double post

Joe Bernard
05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
This thread made me eat ice cream for the first time in six months :rofl: and i enjoyed every bite (i just finished eating it actually). Rachel, when I ate it I only noticed the good taste and how satisfying it was. Immediately after I thought to myself "damn I shouldn't have eaten it," but I didn't feel bad about eating it since it's been so long since I've had it and also because I ate literally everything in my house today and it was like the only thing I didn't eat yet. Seriously, I had seven meals today and I am still hungry, I don't get it. But the ice cream filled me up so it's all good :D

Rachel Izzo
05-09-2008, 07:56 PM
oh jeez yeah I had a team party today and our coach bought an ENORMOUS chocolate ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. I had a feast (literally) and felt like absolute CRAP afterwards! not a smart move on my part, especially because I have to study for an AP Physics exam tonight. Ah well; if I do something like that I normally do it at night for that exact reason. Not doing that again for a while, especially right before I have to study :rolleyes:

Joe Bernard
05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Even though you felt like crap, it must have tasted sooo good! Ouch you still have school...it's summer for me :D

Rachel Izzo
05-09-2008, 09:48 PM
haha YES it was delicious. the girls were surprised at how much i ate, but if you look at the amount of crap they eat compared to what i eat, even tho i ate a ton in one sitting, i don't think it's any worse than what they eat!

ah yes i'm still in school :censored: i have a final TOMORROW MORNING, and then an AP exam. last day of school is may 22 -- so soon! then it's graduation time, and the food will really be bad :)

Jenna Dodge
05-10-2008, 12:41 PM
My dinner last night:
3 oz chicken.
4 scoops ice cream.
almonds.

yum.

This morning: set 2 PRs, one in the squat, one on the shoulder press.

I'm pretty sure that's just a coincidence though.

Alan Kalbarczyk
05-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I just read this whole thread and Im strict paleo/zone.....well not so strict paleo anymore....:D
I dont think I need more fat cause I shoot 3 tbls of OO and 1tbls of coconut oil at every meal.
So as someone stated I might be lacking in the calcium department...yeah we'll go with that.
Im in and Im gonna get down on a gallon of van.straw&choc all natural Breyers tonight....:kicking0:

Joe Bernard
05-10-2008, 03:30 PM
That must have taken you a long time Alan.

Yea graduation was pretty bad food wise, but as long as your not going to a ton of parties you'll be fine.

Alan Kalbarczyk
05-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh my tummy hurts....:confused:

Andres Gordo
05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm actually getting leaner (slowly, but moving) while eating the ice cream :pepper: Hurray for ice cream goodness.

Chad Skola
05-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Well I work nights and I think I am going to stop on my way home and pick up some ice creame for bed. Of course I have to do fran at 1pm so I dont want to stay up to late. So maybe I will start with the ice cream tomorrow. I am so excited to eat ice cream daily I almost want to go home early sick so I can for sure get it in. :)

Matt DeMinico
05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't believe this puppy is still going on. We seriously need to put together an organized effort to find out exactly what is happening here, and if it can be duplicated with something other than milk and cream loaded with sugary goodness.

That being said, I do NOT volunteer to add something else to my plate to do said study.

Bonny Guang
05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Well you can write up a survey for people to take. If they choose to attempt the ice cream, they must agree to do it for at least a month, and they must have already been zoning/paleo for at least 2 months (this is arbitrary) to ensure that any change in body composition comes from the addition of ice cream and not because of their diet. In addition, some people should try milk and honey before bed time, or coconut ice cream. Also, some people could try eating the ice cream/milk at different times of day, but I think focusing on eating before bed would be better now because we probably wouldn't have enough samples. Questions could be:

What is the date you started eating ice cream/milk?
Date you ended?
What was your weight at the start?
Your bodyfat?
What was your weight at the end?
Your bodyfat?
Any improvements in lifts or metcon workouts?
What did you have before bedtime every night?

And then a follow up maybe 2 weeks later, after the person has stopped eating ice cream:
Since you stopped eating ice cream, has your weight or bodyfat changed?
If so, by how much?
Has your performance changed?
If so, by how much?

Simple survey, not a real experiment but enough for a vaguely correlational study.

Key is you have to find people who have been really strict with their diets. No one who has already gone on the ice cream diet and no one who hasn't hit a plateau with their diet yet. (if your weight is still fluctuating, then the rest of your diet could explain away any weight loss or gain you get) Ideally everything they eat besides ice cream would be similar or identical too, but it's not like it's going into Science or anything.

Rachel Izzo
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm all for this. I don't think I've been consistent enough (with traveling, etc) on Zone to do it, but I'd love to follow along.

Matt DeMinico
05-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Maybe we could get Breyers to sponsor it :)

Cal Jones
05-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Just curious as to what is so magical about Breyers? We don't get it in the UK (though we get H-D and B&Js).

Tirzah Harper
05-14-2008, 07:25 AM
I want to know if it works when you're NOT zoning.

Andres Gordo
05-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I want to know if it works when you're NOT zoning.

Well I eat Clean, mostly Paleo (with some exceptions: like oatmeal ect) some one kind of on the zone, but not really lol.

But it works for me.

Rachel Izzo
05-16-2008, 09:22 PM
mmmmm just had a HUGE bowl of organic mint chocolate chip ice cream.
absolutely delicious!

John S Park
05-16-2008, 11:35 PM
just had a pint of Laloo's Goat Milk Ice Cream :D

cappucino flavor.. I read that the company raises their goats on grass and thistleberries

http://www.goatmilkicecream.com/ (WFS)

goat milk rules! :D it is expensive, but there is a $1 coupon on the website if you want to try it

I also picked up a Cuisinart 2 Quart Ice Cream Maker @ Costco..

So far I have made chocolate(raw cacao powder + walnuts) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnvMmWyIJg (WFS, This is the recipe from Mercola's website, I used agave instead of xylitol.. you can use any kind of sugar such as sucanat)

and

Strawberry/Banana and OMG... SOOOOO GOOD. I used raw milk, raw cream, agave, and it came out so well.. This is my new favorite machine!

It was 50$.. Highly recommended

I plan on making a Kefir Ice Cream!!!!!!!!! Perfect for the summer weather!

Rachel Izzo
05-17-2008, 12:21 AM
just had a pint of Laloo's Goat Milk Ice Cream :D

cappucino flavor.. I read that the company raises their goats on grass and thistleberries

http://www.goatmilkicecream.com/ (WFS)

goat milk rules! :D it is expensive, but there is a $1 coupon on the website if you want to try it

I also picked up a Cuisinart 2 Quart Ice Cream Maker @ Costco..

So far I have made chocolate(raw cacao powder + walnuts) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnvMmWyIJg (WFS, This is the recipe from Mercola's website, I used agave instead of xylitol.. you can use any kind of sugar such as sucanat)

and

Strawberry/Banana and OMG... SOOOOO GOOD. I used raw milk, raw cream, agave, and it came out so well.. This is my new favorite machine!

It was 50$.. Highly recommended

I plan on making a Kefir Ice Cream!!!!!!!!! Perfect for the summer weather!

YUM! I think we have an ice cream maker somewhere, but we haven't taken it out since me moved here. Definitely plan on doing that this summer, though ...

Tarun Suri
05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a question.

I work from 7 to 12 in the evening/night so I thought eating a meal at 6 and then the next would be the day after would be a great way to start interim fasting.

My question is whether it would be broken if I had 2 scoops of breyers at around 12:30. Would I lose out on the benefits of IF.

Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this.

Laura Kurth
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
well you wouldn't really be DOING IF then, if you decided to eat a bowl of icecream in the middle of your fasting window...

not saying it would be BAD or GOOD to do this, just that you wouldn't be IFing.

Tarun Suri
05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
This study is still in its very early stages, so I'm really unsure if I'll get the "Breyers a night" benefits if I do them some other part of the day...

BTW, whenever I tell someone about my ice cream every night diet... people ask me if I'm serious around 3 times on average XD. Great conversation starter...

Chad Skola
05-30-2008, 05:37 AM
My family just does not understand why I eat the way I do. When I told them I now eat icecream every night I though they all just believed me. Then when I actually came out with a big bowl of Breyers chocolate icecream everyone thought I was just trying to be funny was just not going to eat it. Oh, but I showed them and ate the whole thing. :)

Joe Bernard
06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Ok I have a huge problem. I just ate a bowl of Eddie's Cookie Dough (I know, I don't have Breyer's I need to get it) and I can't get to sleep! I ate it at 10pm and tried going to bed at 12pm. It is now 3am and I am sitting here wondering why I ever ate the ice cream :ranting2: Has anyone else had a problem getting to sleep when you eat ice cream close to when you hit the sack? I am thinking it's because of all the sugar and the huge spike in my insulin level that is causing me to not fall asleep but I don't know. Any thoughts?

Andres Gordo
06-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Ok I have a huge problem. I just ate a bowl of Eddie's Cookie Dough (I know, I don't have Breyer's I need to get it) and I can't get to sleep! I ate it at 10pm and tried going to bed at 12pm. It is now 3am and I am sitting here wondering why I ever ate the ice cream :ranting2: Has anyone else had a problem getting to sleep when you eat ice cream close to when you hit the sack? I am thinking it's because of all the sugar and the huge spike in my insulin level that is causing me to not fall asleep but I don't know. Any thoughts?

Provably that ice cream had HFCS and stuff, higher sugar spike...

Joe Bernard
06-01-2008, 07:02 AM
yea it had alot of other added sugar in it...that's the last time i eat cookie dough at night. Oh and I managed to fall asleep at 4am!

Steven Low
06-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Big insulin spikes tend to make you sleepy.

Unless your gut disagrees with the food which if you were strict Zone or Paleo/IF and haven't had much sugar in a while will probably do it.

Steven Anderson
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
I just re-read this whole thread through. I think I am going to embark on this little ice cream endeavor. Great thread! :D

Matt DeMinico
06-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Man, this thing is hilarious. I've talked to folks offline at my affiliate that come across this thread and they're like "dude, you never told me about the 'Breyers diet', that's sweet". Then they go and try it, and the body composition gets better, no clue why.

But honestly, I swear Breyers owes me like a lifetime supply of ice cream for this.

Rachel Izzo
06-13-2008, 07:02 PM
i think this thread should win some sort of record for longest-lasting threat :D

But honestly, I swear Breyers owes me like a lifetime supply of ice cream for this.

THAT would be awesome.

Jason Lin
06-15-2008, 05:57 AM
The fat little glutton in me has to ask (and because it's Sunday!):

What other High Fat/High Sugar "horrible" food would have this Breyer effect? Cookies? Pizza? Fried Twinkies?

David Knutzen
06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
So, I tested out both the ice cream with 15 blocks Zone, and the 15 blocks @ 2x fat with no ice cream. They were basically equivalent calories per day, but the 2x fat made me maintain weight, while the ice cream made me lose fat steadily. So, there is definitely something to the ice cream in the diet to promote fat loss.

Brandon Oto
06-15-2008, 05:48 PM
What are the caloric breakdowns between the two, David?

Bonny Guang
06-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Also, did you do one right after another, or did you return to a normal diet and then switch? Which one came first?

Chris Butner
06-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Has anyone contacted Breyers for a official response. Maybe the OP can be in a TV commercial.
I have not eaten ice cream in a long time. Don't usually eat that much sugar. Just bought a small container for the heck of it :yikes:
You got me craving from the thread. Thanks sort of......

Chris Butner
06-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Are you brushing your teeth after this......meal ?

David Knutzen
06-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I just lost the post, so here's a second try. :ranting2:

Throughout, I ate paleo (except the ice cream, occasional beans, and a few sweet potatoes), and followed the CF WOD schedule plus calisthenics and sprint workouts. I also used the US Navy bodyfat calculator throughout for consistency. All weigh-ins conducted in the morning and fasted. Also, I was young and stupid and determined to have abs at the time, when I was quite under muscled, so take it easy. You're only young once :rofl:

Anyway, in December I had been eating 15 blocks Zone for over a year, and was 142lbs and 12.8% bodyfat (1450-1800 kcals/day), and basically stuck there. That's when I saw this thread. I added 1 cup of Breyer's (additional 300-400 kcals, totaling 1800-2200 kcals/day) about 1-2 hours before going to bed. After 2 weeks of the ice cream experiment, I gained 3 lbs and lost 1.1% bodyfat. I felt very lean, strong, and muscular.

Then winter break came, and the resulting family ski vacation ruined my diet until I went back to school in January. At this point, I started 15 block Zone at 2x fat. I began this phase at 152lbs and 14% bodyfat. I was eating 1900-2200 kcals/day. After 2 weeks, I was 152lbs at 11% bodyfat, and felt much leaner than I did previously. 4 weeks after that, I was at the same weight and bf%, and it seemed like progress had stalled. At that point, I moved back to the 15 blocks at normal fat + 1 cup of ice cream.

1 month of the 2nd phase of ice cream, I was down to 149lbs and 9.7% bodyfat. It was the leanest I had ever been. I was very strong, my workouts were great, and I could tell that I was gaining muscle and losing fat. Progress was slow, but very steady.

So, total calories was similar, but results were not. Lemme know if y'all have any more questions.

Steven Low
06-15-2008, 07:24 PM
When you were on low cals your body was in starvation mode. Of course it's not gonna lose any bodyfat when it thinks you're low on cals all the time. Just want to throw that in there as to why you weren't losing with the low cals cause that seems to be a problem some people on the board are having regardless of Breyers.

Pretty interesting results regardless David. Thanks for the detailed anecdotal evidence on ice cream vs. 2x fat blocks.

David Knutzen
06-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I definitely realize that now, and my body really really appreciates the extra few hundred calories. Thanks for putting it out there, I forgot to mention that. That's actually the reason I wanted to test the ice cream diet in comparison to the 15 blocks at 2x fat, since I wondered if it was just the extra calories that were making the difference. It appears that there is indeed something to the ice cream itself, however.

Doron Serban
06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
so has there been a concensus on the block breakdown of breyer's ice cream when it's the natural vanilla? I just bought some natural Turkey Hill, comparable to breyer, and only started the zone this week (day 2 actually), and can't for the life of me figure out what 2 servings (1 cup) equates to. I'm 5'10, 170lbs, doing CF and CFEndurance.... and on an 18 1.5xfat plan.

much appreciated

Doron Serban
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
oops. it was the Nutty Neapolitan
Made with cream, milk, sugar, almonds, cocoa, vanilla, salt, and vanilla bean.

according to the nutritional data (per 1/2 cup serving):
Calories 150
Total Fat 8 g
Total Carb. 17 g
Total Prot: 3g

doubled (for 1 cup), do I count it as some hybrid combo?
protein 1 block
carb 4 blocks
fat 5 block

or am i over thinking it? :stir:

Brett Dartt
06-15-2008, 11:13 PM
nevermind

Doron Serban
06-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Total Fat 8 g x2 = 16g =5f blocks (rounded)
Total Carb. 17 g x 2 = 34g 4c blocks (rounded)
Total Prot: 3g x2=5g =1p block (rounded)

is the math wrong? and also, do I include ALL OF THEM in my totals (as in a combo F:C)or just fat, or just carbs?

Rachel Izzo
06-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Total Fat 8 g x2 = 16g =5f blocks (rounded)
Total Carb. 17 g x 2 = 34g 4c blocks (rounded)
Total Prot: 3g x2=5g =1p block (rounded)

is the math wrong? and also, do I include ALL OF THEM in my totals (as in a combo F:C)or just fat, or just carbs?

don't even try for ice cream, it's not worth it. ice cream is hardly zone, so the most of the people who do the ice cream don't count it towards blocks, it's just one of those extra things (at least i think that's how it's been working)

Steven Anderson
06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
oops. it was the Nutty Neapolitan
Made with cream, milk, sugar, almonds, cocoa, vanilla, salt, and vanilla bean.

according to the nutritional data (per 1/2 cup serving):
Calories 150
Total Fat 8 g
Total Carb. 17 g
Total Prot: 3g

doubled (for 1 cup), do I count it as some hybrid combo?
protein 1 block
carb 4 blocks
fat 5 block

or am i over thinking it? :stir:

You're overthinking it. There have been people post in this thread that have asked if such things as drinking milk would offer the same results or asking if there was some other healthier alternative. Overthinking it or analyzing it to death is going to make eating the ice cream no fun. Simply eat the ice cream and enjoy.

If you've read through the thread, you've probably seen how much ice cream folks are actually eating in one sitting. 1/3 the box, 1/2, pretty amazing if you ask me. Like Rachel said, the ice cream is hardly Zone, so don't worry about counting anything. :)

Doron Serban
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
steve and rachel,

thanks for the advice!!! bon apetit :D

Yael Grauer
06-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Check out "Nurturing Traditions" (I forget the authors, goggle it). It is about traditional pre-industrial diets. It is co-authored by a lipid researcher. It doesn't directly contradict the Zone, except that it says saturated fats are very good for you.

The book is called Nourishing Traditions. It's written by people affiliated with Weston Price. Good stuff.

Interesting thread! I too eat way more ice cream than I should and haven't noticed much change in weight. But I've also been doing MMA usu. twice a day four to five days a week whereas before I was just doing MMA twice a week so that may have something to do with it. I also have most of the ice cream/chocolate binges within two hours after a workout (again training twice a day helps with this quite a bit). In general I do better on more fat and less fruit/carbs than Zone proportions. In fact the more fat I eat the better I do, but I do better on cleaner fat sources than Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.

Laura Kurth
06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
has anyone tried this with frozen yogurt? i have a frozen yogurt brand i like called Sweet Scoops, it has 7g fat and 20g carb/sugar per serving i think.

I feel that eating half a pint of this every night would make me very happy (and probably chubby lol)

Jordan Franklin
06-17-2008, 11:05 AM
are
you
kidding
me?!!

I gave up ice cream years ago, and it is by far my favorite cheat.

When I lived with my family, we all could have been be a bit leaner. I grew up in an ice cream rich environment. 1-2 bowls a night for everyone, but we were eating low/no fat and low/no sugar ice cream.

I'm taking the plunge and adding some Vitamin I to my diet, starting tonight.

Full fat, full sugar, no HFCS. The *good stuff*.

I'm uneasy about adding this as additional cals though. I eat clean and count calories, with a very zone-like and paleo-like diet. I eat more cals than the avg CFer for my size/weight. As a result, I'm going to try adding ice cream before bed while trimming cals a bit from other meals.

Jay Cohen
06-17-2008, 11:23 AM
are
you
kidding
me?!!

I gave up ice cream years ago, and it is by far my favorite cheat.

When I lived with my family, we all could have been be a bit leaner. I grew up in an ice cream rich environment. 1-2 bowls a night for everyone, but we were eating low/no fat and low/no sugar ice cream.

I'm taking the plunge and adding some Vitamin I to my diet, starting tonight.

Full fat, full sugar, no HFCS. The *good stuff*.

I'm uneasy about adding this as additional cals though. I eat clean and count calories, with a very zone-like and paleo-like diet. I eat more cals than the avg CFer for my size/weight. As a result, I'm going to try adding ice cream before bed while trimming cals a bit from other meals.

Jordan;
When this thread first started, I really thought it was nuts, but it's gone on for way too long with mostly sane comments.

I'm not giving in yet, as I can eat way too much if it's in the house, so since I'm still working on my will power, you buy and eat the Crack for a few weeks report back.

BTW, I know I have a problem when I polish off 8lbs of Tahini in two weeks, just by using as a veggie dip, straight from the bucket. BTW x 2, it's killer Tahini, imported from Lebanon.

Jordan Franklin
06-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey Jay,

I'd love to do this more scientifically, but I'm not a good candidate for a study at the moment.

I'll be happy to share my results, but I'm making too many dietary and fitness changes at the moment to really be able to tell what's having each effect.

A few months down the road I'll probably have refined what I do to more of a routine, but right now I'm too busy discovering new things to eat and trying exercises that I've never tried/heard of before.

That said..... I love me some ice cream, so this thread was too good to pass up.

cheers,
Jordan

PS - Now that I think about it...... 2 summers ago was the time that I first started working hard on fitness/nutrition. That's when I finally got my protein intake up to present levels and started noticing changes in body composition.

Interestingly enough, I was adding a scoop of ice cream to my protein shakes at the time. Since then I've stopped, but it's time to get back on the bandwagon.

Matt DeMinico
06-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Has anyone contacted Breyers for a official response. Maybe the OP can be in a TV commercial.
I have not eaten ice cream in a long time. Don't usually eat that much sugar. Just bought a small container for the heck of it :yikes:
You got me craving from the thread. Thanks sort of......

Actually I contacted them on their website about a week or two ago, but haven't heard anything back, no big hurry for anything on it, but that would be pretty funny, get a bunch of folks in a rickety garage gym (with stained concrete floors) doing Crossfit, and eating Breyers at night, heh... Or better yet, one of the Crossfit Affiliates in the Middle East.

Alex Ji
06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
I've been following this thread for a while (I love ice cream!) and just last night after another quick follow-up, I decided to do my own 1 week experiment with Breyer's ice cream (mmm, ice cream) which could potentially be extended if all goes according to plan (crossing my fingers).

Don't get me wrong, ice cream is NOT out of my diet, but every night -- no way! That is, until tonight, tomorrow night and 5 more nights thereafter :D.

My diet is pretty clean: 90% Zone (8 blocks) <i>bordering</i> on a Paleo palette (forgive me, but experimentation beckons).

I can't wait for bedtime!

David Meverden
06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
So, 9 months after starting the thread and still no noticed ill body composition results from the ice cream, ehh, Matt?

Well I'm sold!

I bought some Breyers last week and have been eating some after workouts. I'm going to buy some more and start having some most days before bed (I'll especially have some after ME lifting days).

As with Jordan, I'm not a good candidate for study as my diet is not really controlled (props to David Knutzen, btw, GREAT stuff, I love the fairly scientific approach) but if I notice anything interesting I'll be sure to let everyone know!

Rachel Izzo
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
My diet is pretty clean: 90% Zone (8 blocks) <i>bordering</i> on a Paleo palette (forgive me, but experimentation beckons).

I can't wait for bedtime!

All you eat is 8 blocks? Are you sure that's right? there's a general consensus, if not statement by Dr. Sears, that no one should go below 10 blocks.

Matt DeMinico
06-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Came across this, might have something to do with it:
http://www.newsmax.com/health/cold_starches_weight/2008/06/19/105821.html (w/f safe)

Daniel Olmstead
06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, I suppose the natural test is to try eating warm ice cream for a couple weeks and see how it compares to cold ice cream.

Yummy. :P Any volunteers?

Joe Bernard
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I doubt anyone would want to eat warm ice cream....it should just be called cream then since warm ice is contradictory :D

Tina Dobson
06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm totally a newboob so I am not saying this so much from a CF standpoint as a nutritional standpoint, the ice cream somewhat makes sense. You'd probably get the same response from a similar-component meal (i.e. no magic fairy dust in breyers)...what is in icecream? a little fat, a little sugar, some dairy. You bod is probably just telling you it needs this particular combination before bed. It probably wouldn't hurt for it to be something slightly healthier than ice cream but hell, 9 months and no ill effects, I'd say stick with the icecream. I read a profile in M & F about a year ago, and I forget who the athlete was, but he started setting his alarm for 2 a.m., would have a meal, and go back to bed for another 4 in shut eye. Prior to this, he had a really hard time making gains, but once he did this for a year, he started making massive gains. Bottom line? Sometimes it doesn't make sense, but your bod knows best. It's tell you what you need so if it's working go with it, as long as you are clean the rest of the time.

Rachel Izzo
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Ihe started setting his alarm for 2 a.m., would have a meal, and go back to bed for another 4 in shut eye. Prior to this, he had a really hard time making gains, but once he did this for a year, he started making massive gains. Bottom line? Sometimes it doesn't make sense, but your bod knows best. It's tell you what you need so if it's working go with it, as long as you are clean the rest of the time.

The body is such an odd thing, isn't it?

Doron Serban
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
a number of pro bodybuilders do this. I remember reading lee priest do this exact thing (though whit a protein shake rather than ice-cream).

Caleb Thomas
06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
I've read the best way to eat between sleep is to only eat when you wake up naturally. Using alarms interrupts your internal clock. e.g. Eat if you wake up to go to the bathroom.

By the way, I've been eating ice cream on the Zone with no ill effects for the past month. Tons of PR's and no extra fat that I've recognized. Plus I just feel so good after a bowl of triple chocolate Breyer's.

I should mention that I replace 2 carb blocks a few times a week for a generous 1/2 cup of ice cream at dinner.

Brandon Oto
06-24-2008, 02:27 AM
At some point can we just acknowledge that people weren't eating enough on the Zone?

Gerhard Lavin
06-24-2008, 03:03 AM
At some point can we just acknowledge that people weren't eating enough on the Zone?

Kudos:notworth:

Aileen Reid
06-24-2008, 03:17 AM
I do believe I made the comment some months ago that peoples calorie intakes on their fav Zone seemed too low. By my dietary standards anyway.