PDA

View Full Version : how to do the homemade pull up bar

matthew maclaren lawson
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I have been granted permission by my landlord to create a pull up bar in the small yard of my building. I would like it high enough to put rings on for dips/ push ups and i would like it to work for muscle ups as well. What lumber sizes would be best for this? I figured on at least 24" into the ground set in concrete obviously. Do i need to go deeper? is 4x4 enough or should i go to 4x6?

Mark Gleason
08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
I have been granted permission by my landlord to create a pull up bar in the small yard of my building. I would like it high enough to put rings on for dips/ push ups and i would like it to work for muscle ups as well. What lumber sizes would be best for this? I figured on at least 24" into the ground set in concrete obviously. Do i need to go deeper? is 4x4 enough or should i go to 4x6?

4x4 would work, but the depth would depend on the building code in your area. The posts should be imbedded deep enough to avoid upheaval in the winter. According to Virginia BC frost depth is between 12-18 inches, so 24 looks like it would work, but, I'd go 36" in concrete due to the force kipping is going to transfer to the base of the posts. If you bought 12' lumber, you'd have a 9' height to play with, I guess it depends on how tall you are... hope this helps.