PDA

View Full Version : Critique my cleans

Eric Lester
08-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Cleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyE3LnXC3js (two barely discernable curse words at beginning, otherwise w/f safe)

I would love any input on my form. I am using 135lbs at a bodyweight of 165lbs, which is pretty heavy for me. The first two reps are pretty bad and could be ignored, I even drop the second one.

Also, if anyone could tell me which cleans these are I'd appreciate it. Squat cleans, power cleans? I am confused on the categorization of them.

Thanks all!

Brandon Oto
08-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Those are power cleans followed by a front squat. A full clean would catch the bar in the squat position; you're catching it high, then sitting down with it.

Lots more; I'd peruse some of the videos around to work on the basic form.

Edit: on an unrelated note, get some bumpers. You're gonna hurt yourself losing (and trying to control) that bar.

Eric Lester
08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Brandon. Should it be easier to catch heavier weights in a full squat, or harder?

I am wondering if 135 is too heavy for me to catch in the full squat, or if it is just my form.

I would love some bumpers. I guess when the university built this multimillion dollar facility a couple years back they couldn't find room in their budget for bumpers or a platform :confused:

------

I just reviewed a slideshow of the squat clean. I was thinking the bar needed to come to shoulder height and then I needed to lead it down into the squat. From the slideshow the bar never even needs to come that high. Is that correct? It should just come slightly higher than where you catch it?

Lincoln Brigham
08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
More importantly: the elbows start OUTSIDE the knees.

Also, do not yank the bar off the ground. Start with straight arms and SQUEEZE the bar off the ground.

Brandon Oto
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Eric, it may be more effort -- because you'll create a more explosive motion and more fast leg movement -- but it'll allow you to pull heavier cleans, because you can "jump" more weight than you can curl.

Basically, yes, it just needs to get high enough that you can catch it, but you'll likely be throwing it as high as possible. But this is done through an extension of the knees, hips, ankles, and shoulders, not with the arms -- the arms are straight, just passive cables transmitting the force. They don't bend until you're diving down to get under it, at which point you're already done pulling; that's your body moving around the weight, not the weight moving around your body.

Alexander Kornishev
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I am no expert, but here are some videos I found very helpful in my training:
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt423i1w6vs
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71denvCLxP0
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ZV4gE0eUE
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHB1r5Lo5iU

For some reason youtube links do not pass, just type http instead of hxxp...

Best of luck!

Eric Lester
09-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks, Alexander, these videos are great!