PDA

View Full Version : Tabata Interval Songs

Damien Del Russo
03-31-2007, 08:04 AM
It all started when I needed a stopwatch. I thought, hey, I have an iPod (actually about 5), and my iPod has a stopwatch, so I am good. And indeed for timing workouts or doing laps it is fine. But what about interval training?

My prior interval training had all kinds of different timing, so it was difficult to track. Then I found CrossFit and Tabata intervals - nice consistent 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. Beautiful. But my iPod still doesn't do intervals! And why would I buy an interval stopwatch when I already have a stopwatch and the only thing missing is intervals?

So I figured out a system for making my iPod into a Tabata timer. Now I am not the first to do this, but I checked the other efforts and found them wanting.

My system consists of tracks that have a 5 second entry, 8 Tabata (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off), ending with a 5 second exit. This means that you can randomize the Tabata tracks and will always have 10 seconds of rest between the exercises - perfect. I also have a 1 minute rest track. The rest track can be used when building playlists for events like Tabata Fight Gone Bad - it won't work when randomized, of course (I could tack a minute at the end of each Tabata track for that, though...hmmm good idea).

Anyway, before I unleash a library of Tabata tracks on the CrossFit universe, I would like to get feedback on the first couple tracks. There are completely original tracks I made in GarageBand so there are no rights issues.

Please post your comments here. Thanks,

Damien

Damien Del Russo
03-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Note, to use these you may need to right click and use "Save as" and then rename the attachment to an M4A file. That should allow you to open it in iTunes or another music player.

Please leave comments regarding the format - I can export to MP3 or whatever if that works better. This is why I am working out the details. Thanks,

Damien

Darrell E. White
03-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Damien:

I'm away from my personal computer, Itunes, and my Ipod. Is the m4a format the ITunes format? I'll check this out at home, but if so this is a godsend...all of the other (much appreciated) efforts at Tabata music have been .mp3.

Damien Del Russo
03-31-2007, 12:59 PM
The .m4a should import into iTunes just fine. .mp3 should too, though. I could export to AAC but that would upset the non-iPod folks.

Try it y'all - I will be using different music types in the future, stuff for everyone. It only takes about 5 minutes for each song to clip it up, so I plan to make a bunch.

Damien

Stefan Borovina
04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
what program can you use to modify mp3's into similar tabata tracks?

Damien Del Russo
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I am using GarageBand, the Podcast format. The Podcast is good because if you record your "3-2-1 Start" and "2-1-Rest" as the Male or Female voice, then the music will automatically fade in and out. It is a little clumsy in my implementation above, but that's just working out the details. If you drop a 5:00 minute or 4:00 track it will auto-fade in and out for a pretty smooth experience.

GarageBand is a Mac program - I don't have much idea what you would use on Windows. I think you could use QuickTime Pro ($30 license I think), but I am sure there are alternatives as well.

If you want a track of just counting, with no music, let me know.

No other comments? Come on folks, tell me what you are looking for. Give me some good ideas, and I'll implement and post for everyone.

Thanks,

Damien

Michael Latch
04-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Try as I might, I can't get these things to open on my Mac.

Any advice on what to try?

Damien Del Russo
04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Huh, that is annoying. I am trying to make this easy, so maybe I should use a ZIP or something.

When I download the file from the page here, I rename it to a .m4a (AAC) and when OSX prompts me, I say to change the file format to .m4a. Once it is a .m4a I double click it and it starts playing in iTunes.

Sorry it is not easier - I will see what I can do. The point is for it to be easy. Thanks,

Damien

Nathan Stanley
04-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I have Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ that I use for my podcast and its really good for editing MP3's. There is an Audacity tutorial at http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/17-audacity-tutorial.htm for how to do this. Its really simple and you can just take your favorite songs (or just your favorite parts) and go 20 sec. of song, 10 of silence, etc.

Niel Stender
10-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Damien

You're the man! I've been trying to get a tabata music file for my iPod. I'm a little "slow" on some computer stuff so according to me, mp3's don't work on my iPod.

Do you have any more iPod compatible tabata trax?

Thanks ALOT

Niel

Andy Petranek
10-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Damien,

Great idea. Works fine on my mac - double clicked on the file and it went right into iTunes. Aside from the style of the music, and that your counting of 3, 2, 1, GO sounds like your counting off the start of a race to get to sleep... I think its GREAT!

Thanks for doing this - and I look forward to hearing more tracks! :thanx:

Michael Ruocco
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
THANKS so much!!! Its a pain to have to check the clock during the workouts.

Bill Young
11-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for making that timer. Sounds great. Can't wait to test it out.

Daniel Freedman
11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Bump.

I'm sending this back to the top because it's so valuable...and so many more people could benefit.

Perhaps an admin could archive it permanently in the exercise video library? (Even though it's not a video.)

Also: you don't necessarily have to transfer the music to Ipod I just play it directly from the computer in my home office. BTB Tabata squats make a great "break." Soon to spread to cubicles all over America? Hope springs eternal....

Andrew Bueno
12-07-2007, 01:16 AM
I was bored today and created some tabata interval songs. Send me a message if you'd like a download link. I'll put them up on the Rain City CrossFit blog sometime.

The songs:

A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario
Linkin Park - Enth E Nd
Linkin Park - H! Vltg3
Souls of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity
Weezer - Buddy Holly

More to come!

Júlíus Magnússon
12-07-2007, 01:34 AM
A link to those songs would be awesome.

Another thing that would be great would be just an 'empty' tabata song. Something that counts down from, say, three untill the rounds and rests stop and start.

Allan Luomala
12-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I created a Tabata This! timer (mp3 format) using some songs I found at Good Blimey!, (http://goodblimey.com/tunes/) and threw in some sound effects for begin interval, end interval, number of intervals, etc. It gets a little annoying hearing "Freeze Punk!" (I created this for a class that had some police service guys, so I thought it was kinda funny..... at the time). Anyway, it works, and it blends some classic rock with some other rock tunes, "rap" and the like. It's about 27 mins long, and 48MB in size (256 kbps bitrate), compressed with WINrar .

Here are the tracks (with the person who created the mashup):

Gary Glitter vs Cheap Trick - Rock and Roll Train (ft Goldfrapp) (DJ Zebra)
Beastie Boys vs Andrew WK - Andrew Fights For His Right To Party (Tim G)
Jet vs The Beatles - Jet Lady (Go Home Productions)
Outkast vs Queen - Hey, We Will Rock Ya (DJ Prince)
Rush vs Annie Lennox - Annie Rush (Go Home Productions)
Eve & Alicia Keys vs Joan Jett - Rock 'N' Roll (GHP)
Van Halen vs Sammy Davis, Jr - Dance the Night Away (The Hitmaker)
Nelly vs Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Country Grammar (DJ Mei-Lwun)

Here is the download link (I used MegaUpload.... if there's better, let me know): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3OUVD7RQ

Allan

Allan Luomala
12-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Ref my post (#17) above, I forgot to indicate whether it (the mp3 timer) is WFS: unfortunately, due to the "F bomb" being dropped 3 times (in the refrain??) of the Jet/Beatles mashup ("What the f%^& is going on?!?!"), it isn't completely WFS. My apologies for not indicating this initially. I am going to "bleep" those out at some point, and will post the WFS version, if there is any interest.

I am likely going to make a FGB timer as well, so that one person doesn't have to be focused on keeping track of time, and can be "motivating" people instead.

Allan

Júlíus Magnússon
12-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Thanks, Allan. This is going straight to my iPod.

Tate Rivera
01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
i tried to use this today to make my own tabata music for the workout today, but i could not get the song to upload correctly. when i imported the song from my computer it is only 0.02 seconds long. how do you get the song to import correctly. i did figure out how to get the silence and the different beeps but i cannot figure out the song thing. thanks for the help.

Allan Luomala
01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
i tried to use this today to make my own tabata music for the workout today, but i could not get the song to upload correctly. when i imported the song from my computer it is only 0.02 seconds long. how do you get the song to import correctly. i did figure out how to get the silence and the different beeps but i cannot figure out the song thing. thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Tabata This! mp3 that I put together (using mash-ups). I just downloaded it from MegaUpload, and it seems to work OK after unzipping it, and playing it through iTubes and Windows Media Player.

AL

P.S I just re-read your post, and I believe that you were referring to using Audacity to make your own mp3. I used Premiere Elements, so I'm afraid I can't help you with Audacity.

Jacob McBride
01-06-2008, 12:51 AM
alright, I skipped through this a bit, so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but for anyone who wants to take their favorite song (or, obviously, PART of their favorite song since we're talking 20 seconds), look into Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). It's a free program that you can use to edit and record sound. You can open MP3s in it, edit them, cut parts out of them and save it as an entirely new MP3, which you could then put into a tabata playlist with other 20 second clips.

If anyone needs help locating the lame encoder (required by Audacity to save as MP3 files), PM me for it, but I'm pretty sure you can find it on the Audacity site pretty easy or on google.:kicking0:

EDIT: Aw ****, someone already mentioned it.

Sean Fox
01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Ref my post (#17) above, I forgot to indicate whether it (the mp3 timer) is WFS: unfortunately, due to the "F bomb" being dropped 3 times (in the refrain??) of the Jet/Beatles mashup ("What the f%^& is going on?!?!"), it isn't completely WFS. My apologies for not indicating this initially. I am going to "bleep" those out at some point, and will post the WFS version, if there is any interest.

I am likely going to make a FGB timer as well, so that one person doesn't have to be focused on keeping track of time, and can be "motivating" people instead.

Allan

allan, forgive, I went to Mega upload and downloaded the file but it saved as a rar file? and I am trying to get it into my Windows media player. Any clue as to how?

Tate Rivera
01-06-2008, 10:20 AM
yeah allan, i was using audacity. anyone who can help me with importing songs, that would be great. i dont really know what i was doing wrong...

Jacob McBride
01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
yeah allan, i was using audacity. anyone who can help me with importing songs, that would be great. i dont really know what i was doing wrong...
What kind of file was it?
I don't think Audacity handles anything other than .WAV and .MP3. If it's on iTunes, burn a CD with the songs you want to edit. Then rip the CD back onto your computer.
In iTunes, go to edit>preferences>advanced. Within the advanced tab there is an importing tab, click on it. Under Import Using: select WAV encoder.
Now look at your CD in iTunes, right click on each song and select "Convert Selection to WAV"
As a WAV you should be able to open it in Audacity without any problems.
Hope that helps. If you have any problems with what I said let me know.

EDIT: Even if the songs are not through iTunes, that method should work, and iTunes doesn't cost any money to use, so try that method.
EDIT2: If youdon't have any CDs to use, go to the part of Audacity where it says "Microphone" (if you don't see that tell me) and change it to "What U Hear", then hit record and just play the song. Make sure there are no other sounds going on, like Instant Message beeps or computer alerts, etc... because ANY sound that your computer plays will be in the track. Assuming there is no extra sound, your song will record without ANY loss of quality.

Veronica Davis
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Just downloaded this. Thanks so much!!!

Allan Luomala
01-08-2008, 04:12 AM
allan, forgive, I went to Mega upload and downloaded the file but it saved as a rar file? and I am trying to get it into my Windows media player. Any clue as to how?

You need to unzip it (or unRAR it in this case): use WinRAR (link wfs: http://www.rarlab.com/)

I'm not sure if that works on a Mac. I can always zip it with a Mac-friendly program for "those" people :ranting2:

AL

lisa taylor
01-08-2008, 04:28 AM
The Nero suite has a pretty neat wave editor I've used.

If anyone wants more details, feel free to PM me.

Tim Donahey
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I didn't see these linked in here, so:

Just Tabata chimes (20/10, 16 min.):
http://john.720.com/misc/upload/TSE_JustChimes.zip

Tabata chimes w/LL Cool J/Run DMC/Outkast/Musto&Bones:
http://john.720.com/misc/upload/TSE_Rap.zip

Tabata chimes w/Fort Minor/Rage/Beastie Boys/Outkast:
http://www.4shared.com/file/27297606/e69999c2/Tabata_Drill-Fort_MinorBeastieRageOutcast.html

Tabata chimes w/J Ralph/Juicy/Gorillaz/Gnarls Barkley:
http://www.4shared.com/file/27295608/ab287c4e/Tabata_Drill-Mix1.html

Tabata chimes w/Drowning Pool/Slayer/White Zombie/Pantera:
http://www.4shared.com/file/27296868/e559592c/Tabata_Drill-Drowning_PoolSlayerWhite_ZombiePantera.html

links are WFS

Tim Donahey
01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Just havin some fun with this, I made a new Tabata mp3 that I really like a lot. If anyone is interested in hosting it or would like a copy, post here or drop me a line!

1. Kanye West - Stronger
2. Ok Go - Here it Goes Again
3. The Rapture - House of Jealous Lovers
4. Cake - The Distance

Times perfectly!

Tim Donahey
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
And I couldn't resist making a Rocky inspired Tabata mp3 too.

Eric Lester
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Just havin some fun with this, I made a new Tabata mp3 that I really like a lot. If anyone is interested in hosting it or would like a copy, post here or drop me a line!

1. Kanye West - Stronger
2. Ok Go - Here it Goes Again
3. The Rapture - House of Jealous Lovers
4. Cake - The Distance

Times perfectly!

Tim, I would love the Kanye West and Rocky ones. I'll send you my e-mail address unless you have another way to send them to me?

Allan Luomala
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Tim, I would like a copy of both, if you don't mind. You should think about posting it on one of the fileshare sites (MegaUpload, etc) to save on having to keep sending it to people.

Thanks,

Allan

Tim Donahey
01-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Good idea.

Rocky Balboa Tabatas (version 1): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5SGNNEVA

Rocky Balboa Tabatas (version 2): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32VXQAYH

Faster Stronger Tabatas: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K27CDR2C

Download instructions: Follow the link. In the upper righthand corner of the box, next to where MEGAUPLOAD is lettered, there is a group of (3) letters that you'll need to type into a text field. Type them in and click the "download" button next to it. You'll be directed to another page where you'll have to wait 25 seconds for the download to start. Once the countdown is finished the box will say "Free Download," click that box to initiate the file and prepare to work yourself into a Tabata frenzy!

Sorry this isn't simpler to obtain, but to the best of my knowledge it is a work/family safe website.

Let me know what you think! I enjoyed making these a lot.

(And if anyone can recommend a better filehost, lemme know!)

Eric Lester
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Tim, these are awesome! Thank you so much!

Eric Lester
01-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Just an FYI on that site. If you let the browser idle on it for a while it starts feeding you pop ups, some of them aren't 100% WFS.

Tim Donahey
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Encore Tabata

1. House of Pain - Jump Around
2. DJ Kool - Clear My Throat
3. Onyx - Slam
4. Eminem - Lose Yourself

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VFVH0NOQ
(download instructions posted above)

This one's got some fire.

Jean Carmona
01-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Tim many thanks for the Rocky's ones. I did my first Tabata last week and I was struggling with looking at my stop watch and do the exercises, had a few overuns - rest and workout - this is going to make so much easier next time. Thanks again
JC

Eric Lester
01-12-2008, 12:13 PM
LOL Jump Around, awesome. Thanks, Tim

Carlos Cristan
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Those were all Great Tim, I like the House of Pain, Onyx, Eminem one best though!

ADRIAN TURNER
06-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Damien,
this is great, downloaded no problems and opened in itunes.
is it possible to get a 20:10 workout with some fast heavy metal?
i thought metallica would be could but anything fast would work.
what does everyone else use?
AJ

Stavros Kalogirou
11-09-2008, 11:27 PM
*Bump*

Just because this thread is awesome. Any Metallica Tabata yet? great job everyone...thanks again.

Brett Dartt
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
this is the most awesome thread ever.
anyone got any more?

Christin Street
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Reviving this thread....does anyone have a downloadable playlist for Tabata Intervals? Something where I don't need to d/l any new software.

Crossfitwarehouse.com has a pretty decent one (upper right had of main page...has an FGB one too) but for some reason I can't download it anymore.

Michael Salewski
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Here is a link to a tabata something else file, just type in the three letter code. It has Vast, 2 songs from the Blade soundtrack, and one from the Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels soundtrack, so you have a song for each exercise. The ten second breaks are marked with a little mellow music, the last interval of each exercise is marked by a little laugh, so you can't miss 'em and know when to switch if you lose count. (thank god for garage band)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0X9WY92J

michael

Patrick Janes
12-02-2008, 05:14 AM
awesome... thanks, michael... I did "tabata something else" after I got home from BJJ training this evening and used your upload.

I got a lil bit lost in the 1st couple squat sets, but got back on track quickly enough... *shrug* ... keeps the legs guessing!!

Michael Salewski
12-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Glad you like it Patrick.

Before I get in hot water, link is w/f safe.

Gabriel desGarennes
12-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Try as I might, I can't get these things to open on my Mac.

Any advice on what to try?

Right CLICK!!!, oh wait

Dustin Ma
12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
thank you so much for these!

Elliot Waite
01-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I've posted a collection of all of these tabata mixes posted in this thread at http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/ (work and family safe). If you have any more you'd like added to the list there, just send them to info@beach-fitness.com, thanks.

Tim Donahey
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Well done!

Andrew Bueno
02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I have a newer batch of chopped up Tabata music that I haven't posted up to the brethren here on the boards.

All the music can be downloaded or streamed here (site is WFS, music isn't):
http://foundationfitness.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-tabata-cuts.html

* Cochise - Audioslave
* Kissin the Curb - Bishop Lamont, Busta Rhymes and Jake One
* Womanizer - Britney Spears
* Velocity - Extended F@mm
* Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
* What Are You Waiting For? - Gwen Stefani
* The Hand That Feeds - Nine Inch Nails
* Toxicity - System of a Down

The songs are edited by playing 20 seconds of music followed by 10 seconds of silence repeated for a total of 4 minutes. The song will continue to play for a minute (rest interval) with a 5 second countdown at the end.

Enjoy! :cool:

Keith Wilkey
02-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the Rocky Tabata Music, Tim.

Cesar Härdfeldt
08-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks to all who posted the tabata .mp3's!

Ross Rogers
07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Shameless plug:

I've generated a tabata protocol soundtrack mp3 generator that will generate a soundtrack for any timing sequence that you can think of using a whistle and airhorn soundtrack for start and stop sounds. You can then mix that soundtrack with any other mp3 using Audacity.

http://tabata-protocol-soundtrack.appspot.com/

Please check it out and post any feedback.

- Ross

John Driscoll
07-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Have you heard of Tabata Songs Volume: 1?

Just a bunch of different types of songs that follow tabata intervals. Its on iTunes

John Driscoll
07-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Looks like there is a website too! tabatasongs.com

Csubi Zambo
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Bumping because I'm looking for more Tabata Songs :)