PDA

View Full Version : How much do you make?

Tim McFarland
05-09-2007, 08:30 PM
On another board, some guy was asking about Curves and if anybody held a franchise, and what people thought about it, blah blah. I put in, "Well, you could always open a Crossfit affiliate." He came back with, "I would love that, but I can't imagine you can make much money as a Crossfit affiliate."

Which got me wondering; I have always done this on my own, and I don't have any idea how lucrative it actually can be. So my question is (purely for my own curiosity), just how much can you make? Or, rather, how much do you (affiliate owners) actually make? I imagine some gyms are more lucrative than others, but what kind of a range are we talking about?

Steve Liberati
05-10-2007, 04:59 AM
I would be very surprised if someone tells you they're salary.

Richard Paul Ham-Williams
05-10-2007, 06:00 AM
do a search this has been mentioned in the past and figures have most def been shared - browse the history of this section of the site (runnng a facility)

From memory some make a 6 figure income

Tim McFarland
05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Didn't mean to be rude, hope it doesn't come across that way.

Wayne Nelson
05-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I have been affiliated with a few gyms. The last posted the WODs, helped people with technique, and promoted the benefits of CrossFit. He grew a very large following. That is, they were waiting for equipment. As everybody knows CrossFit is an incredibly effective system and very challenging. Everybody who did CrossFit rarely went back.

Success depends on a number of variables - promotion, marketing, training, encouragement, ... and blah, blah, blah. You know, all those business things. I would think given the right location and the right personality/business savvy, it could be very profitable.

That's just my take...

Craig Howard
05-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Instead of waiting for responses, spend 15 minutes with a piece of paper, a pencil and a calculator and you should be able to determine within 95% accuracy how much an affiliate makes based on the number of clients they have. You can easily guess overhead, then, click on a few sites and see prices. The rest is calculated assumptions and math.

Damien Del Russo
07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
From the other side, I have often wondered about this. One reason is that I really like CF and training/teaching people. However, I also make a pretty hefty salary and I can't see how personal training would make anywhere near 6 figures unless you had a pretty major facility going (e.g. CF HQ, One World, Skip Chase's, etc).

Just back of the envelope, say you are like me and you use a yard or something, assume weather isn't a factor. No overhead. Even with 30 clients - which is a lot for one person to train without help, and assuming they are spread in groups of 5 or fewer, you are looking at what, $3k per month? Maybe if you charge $150 per month (which would be a LOT for a place with no overhead), that's $4500. Even in a very good year that is less than $60k pre-tax.

So, you're not getting rich.

Even a big gym with 200 clients and 3 trainers, and say $3k overhead (obv. not in a city - that's pretty cheap) is making $5k per month per trainer. Again, $60k.

So, my recommendation is that if $60k sounds like a good career, then training might be a good fun choice. Short hours, nice environment, etc. Otherwise, you either need to have a some celebrity (rich) clients or start doing what a lot of trainers do - try to sell DVDs, books, equipment, etc. Like Tyler Hass - I would bet he makes a lot more selling rings than he does (or would) training people.

This is back of the envelope - I really could be completely wrong!

Orlando Alonso
09-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Damien I feel you're on the right track, but there is also 1 on 1 consultations. I believe that privates with the folks at CF Petranek is 150-250 dollars an hour. If you have just 15-20 private consultations per month, plus 20 more group clients, it can add up.

I know a friend that handed over $1500 for a personal trainer at 24 hour fitness. Who's to say that a CF trainer couldn't make the same demands?

Mark Reinke
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Also keeping in mind your group training. If you get 10 to 20 people paying $15 for the workout and your coaching, that's $150-$300 per hour. The industry is definitely headed in this direction. And talk about time management! In the case where someone can get 4 20 person groups taken care of in a day, that comes out to $1200! The case is always to work smarter!

James Falkner
09-17-2007, 11:41 AM
However, I also make a pretty hefty salary and I can't see how personal training would make anywhere near 6 figures unless you had a pretty major facility going (e.g. CF HQ, One World, Skip Chase's, etc).

And keep in mind, Skip didn't start all that long ago, it's not like he inherited a Gold's and kept all their members.. He built it up from the ground, and so can you.

Patrick Donnelly
09-17-2007, 01:53 PM
In one of the video clips, Coach Glassman says that he and his wife earned a six-figure income while working mornings-only in the corner of a martial arts place, with only a few dumbbells and such.

Pretty d*** good, if you ask me.

Derek Maffett
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Six figure income for just that? Meaning 100,000 dollars a year or 1000.00 a month? A hundred thousand seems pretty high unless you had a very, very popular gym.

Becca Borawski
09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
You could make 6 figures with 15 clients.

Say you had 15 private clients who each trained 2x a week for $75/session.
That's 30 sessions a week or $2250.
Times 4 weeks, that's $9,000/month or $117,000 over 52 weeks.

Patrick Donnelly
09-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Six figure income for just that? Meaning 100,000 dollars a year or 1000.00 a month? A hundred thousand seems pretty high unless you had a very, very popular gym.

http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1406 (Work/Family Safe.)

There's some info there on becoming a trainer. It comes down to giving results, and charging for them, because you, unlike other trainers, actually give results. You could make ~$100 per hour if you train small groups at once.

Bill Russell
09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Focus on giving value in what ever you do. The money will come equal to the value you give. You can't fight that, so don't try.

Making a certain amount of money is a mindset. You earn what you feel you are worth and in accordance with the value perceived by your customers/clients. You can earn more than you do now by either serving a lot more people for a reasonable price or serving a few more people at a premium price. You can also blend the two.

Patrick referred to Coach's comments about making 6 figs while doing a shared facility gig. Coach knows he gives more value than any other trainer on the planet. If you focus on doing the same thing, you will get similar results.

Skip Chase
09-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I am always concerned when ones focus is money. The high school student who wants to be a doctor because all doctors are wealthy will normally flunk out of the local community college while taking the pre-req's.

That being said, we began with 600sf and 13 clients. Our passion is training, providing the very best service, changing behavior, influencing lives and teaching parents how to raise healthy children.

We earned well over $100,000 last year and we crossed the 6 figure line this year in June.

I'll add....very little $ on advertising, no fancy software, no direct mail campaign, no emailing campaign, no letters written, no marketing companies, no public relations firm, no 3 fold brochures, no business cards, no fancy web site, no publication of our rates, no $100,000+ business loan.

We started with 13 professional marketers (our clients). Now we have nearly 200 marketing professionals who pay us.:rofl:

www.mtbakercrossfit.com

Jonathan Thomas Powers
09-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Skip, I think that passion, striving for excellence, etc should always be Primary reason someone trains, for if you dont have a great service you dont have anything at all. But, if you aren't focused on money you wont be a successful bussiness.

You chose not to spend on any advertising and while it worked for you, there is a possibility that you could have had even more members if you did.

When I'm with a client all my energy is focused on helping them to succeed. Letting people know about my services is only going to help me to help more people and help my bussiness to grow which I need to feed my family.

What I think we need to be careful of is thinking that every single thing a BigBox Gym does must be morrally wrong. Just because they send out mailers promoting their club doesn't mean it's wrong. If there is something I can do that will help me reach out to peple and tell them about myself while not losing money on the investment, Im going to do it.

Skip Chase
09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I never said those methods were 'wrong', and yes, I enjoy cashing my paychecks.

First and foremost, my primary experience since 1970 has been business management. (multiple locations in multiple states and regions) I've utilized all media and methods to create marketing/advertising plans in an effort to successfully achieve established business plans.

When we started our CF business our goal was to spend as little money as possible maintaining slow and steady growth. We had 600sf, less than $3000 in equipment and had to manage people, space, equipment, rest room and parking lot, and as we grew, we had to add and manage staff.

The 'plan' worked and we maintained and continue to maintain slow, steady growth.

I do not fault those who take out a $100,000 loan, and utilize a Manhattan PR and marketing firm. I just do not see the need.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com

Randy Gruezo
09-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Moral of the story.

Do what works best for you and your market :)

Brandon Oto
09-19-2007, 10:33 AM
I guess the question is whether such measures are not usually necessary for an inchoate CrossFit operation, or actually not desirable.

Skip Chase
09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Brandon,
Please forgive me....I don't understand the question.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com

Brandon Oto
09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Meaning this... is the truth that:

1. It is possible to maintain a CrossFit affiliate gym as a successful business without running a traditional advertising campaign

or that

2. It is a BAD IDEA for a CrossFit affiliate gym to to use a traditional advertising campaign

In the case of the former, you could still benefit from normal marketing -- you just don't have to, if you can't afford it or don't want to bother. In the case of the latter, it would actually have some negative effects, such as changing the image of your gym or bringing in a different kind of clientele.

Roger Harrell
09-19-2007, 05:02 PM
The answer to 1 is clearly yes. Many successful affiliates have done little to no traditional advertising. I don't know the answer to 2. Some affiliates have done traditional marketing with little to no return. Some have had success. This is where market comes into play. Know your market, do whatever you can to spread the word effectively.