PDA

View Full Version : What does a hernia feel like?

Jason Berger
06-30-2005, 05:11 PM
I was deadlifting about two months ago and got a warm sensation between my navel and my crotch. It wasn't painful. I decided not to push it and go home. A few weeks ago I was deadlifting and noticed the beginning of the warm feeling again. Racked the weight and went home.

Lately I've been working out with things like KB swings and one-arm DB snatches... every now and then I get Warm Feeling Extra-Lite (tm).

My googling revels that hernias feel like "discomfort" and "pain", this is neither. It's simply warm. I hope this isn't a hernia.

Scott Kustes
06-30-2005, 05:48 PM
It's warm...is it also wet? If so, I think I've nailed your problem.

Other than that, I've never had a hernia....sorry I can't help.

Jim Aldridge
06-30-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't know if there is any one good description of what a hernia feels like. For me, when I flexed my abs, I could feel the intestines protrude through the hole in my abdominal wall. No pain, No discomfort, just movement where movement wasn't supposed to be. Then I could push the intestines back in and for the most part go on about my business.

Jason Berger
07-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Well, good news. I saw my doctor yesterday. He assured me it wasn't a hernia and called it "grade 1 or grade 1 abdominal muscle trama" and that I should let it heal before it becomes anything serious.

Dan Silver
07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Like warm apple pie...

-D.

Graham Tidey
07-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I had the same kind of thing. Didn;t hurt, but was uncomfortable. If I pushed the bulge back in under my ribs all was well. If I ate a lot it stuck out more.

Mind you this was also when I thought I had throat cancer.

James R. Climer
08-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I just read an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about a fairly new diagnosis called 'Sports Hernia'. It's not a true hernia per se, that is a rupture in the abdominal wall, but a trauma to the musculature and connective tissue at the pubic bone.

It's believed to be caused by contractions of the leg muscles that cause strains and/or tears and may require surgery to repair if it's severe enough, or if a small tear is repeatedly irritated and propagates into a problem before it can heal. I believe I am currently suffering something along these lines.

James R. Climer
08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, I began suffering the lower abdominal muscle soreness and irritation after running the bases in softball, which I typically go at with abandon. So this seems to fit in with the postulated cause of the sports hernia.

My symptoms are (in addition to the mild, below-the-belt muscle soreness):

Irritation when walking...running? forgetabout it

Irritation when lifting either leg while bending forward, as in donning socks while standing.

And of course situps or leg lifts irritate the affected area.