PDA

View Full Version : Piriformis Syndrome

Matthew Albanese
07-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Has anyone had any experience recovering from piriformis syndrome? My chiropractor diagnosed the problem, which I've had for probably over a year now. Tends to flare up the most after Thai Boxing workouts or any time I'm working high kicks with the left leg. Completely avoiding these activities is pretty difficult for me, as I teach several classes per week (that and I'm just addicted to kicking Thai pads). As of yet, chiropractic, Active Release, foam rollers, tennis balls (ouch), stretching, and contrast baths have done very little to alleviate the problem. Also started incorporating some of the glute/hip exercises recommended on Animal Times, but again, not much improvement. Any suggestions?

Matt Albanese
NSA Martial Arts

Patrick A. Stewart
07-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Matt

Out of curiousity I did a search on the term on the discussion board (mainly because I've been nursing a sore right side of my trunk).

Here's the link: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/3930.html

cheers

patrick

Matthew Albanese
07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks Patrick

I've used most of those stretches. I'll definitely try the gluteus medius strength test I found on one of those links. I've suspected a glute med strength deficit had something to do with the problem, especially since I've always beeen able to kick head height with my right leg without counterbalancing (i.e. leaning trunk away), but my left side has always been more difficult. That's the main reason why I started incorporating more of the hip strengthening exercises into my warm-up. Now if I could just get the inflammation to go away!!

Christian Hansen
07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Whoa good timing. My *** has been killing me since I did some sprints on Saturday. I had a real nasty hip dislo around 10 years ago (closed reduction) and I'm sure there is a relation. These stretches should come in handy.