PDA

View Full Version : Rhabdomyolysis

Tim Weaver
07-01-2005, 11:14 PM
OK...so I just got finished reading the latest CFJ, and in the "Garage Gym II" article, it mentions Rhabdomyolysis as a possibility for beginngers.

Doing a little research (I used to do competitive intelligence for a living), I've now scared myself silly over exercise-induced Rhabdomyolysis. Well, OK, I exaggerate.

How prevalent is this...really...and how can one make sure they don't overdo it?

I ask because I am training by myself (I work from home), and have a habit of doing too much, too fast and injuring myself.

Signed,
Worries too much in Phoenix. :-)

Dan Silver
07-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Rhabdo is something so far off the beaten path for healthy, non-immunocompromised, non-crack addicted people that you worrying about it is downright silly. That said, one of Eugene's coworkers managed to work himself out right into Rhabdo. Drink plenty of water, get good sleep and eat right. You'll be fine.

Stop smoking crack too if that's currently one of your hobbies.

-D.

Jason Carey
07-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Tim,
Given your location, heatstroke is probably something to worry about...
Where are you in Phoenix? I rotate WODs between 24hr Fitness (yeah, i know) @ 32nd St & Camelback and a little neighborhood park @ 40th St & Campbell. Occasionally, a small group of us will also do a weekend WOD on the NW side (59th Ave & Tierra Buena).
If you're interested, let me know.
Jason

Tim Weaver
07-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Dan,
I figured it wasn't something that was very common unless one REALLY overdoes it...something I have never been accused of. :-)

Never took up crack as a hobby. I was always afraid of cutting myself on those glass pipes. ;)

Jason,
40th St and Campbell? I eat at Pronto Restaurant now and again...the only time I get into that neighborhood.

I live near 67 Ave / Bell road, so the 59 Ave/TB address is near Thunderbird Grad School, no? Is it at the Tierra Buena park?

As for heat stroke, I am fairly accustomeed to the area, having lived here in 1988/89 and moving back in 1992. I lived for about a year-and-a-half w/o using my A/C when I first moved back. :-)

you can email me at info@practicaltactical.net if you want to chat further....

TimW
Phoenix

David Besachio
07-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I've seen it in people that use stimulant (Ephedra, Ma Huang, Metabolife, Hydroxycut, etc.) based supplements when performing strenuous exercise.

Ron Nelson
07-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Interesting side-note: One episode of Law and Order featured a victim whose cause of death was. . .rhabdomyolytisthingy.
Guy was beat to death on the bottom of his feet until enough muscle tissue was absorbed in his system to shut down his organs!
Nice way to go. Only takes about a week.