PDA

View Full Version : Muscle cramps

Jim Aldridge
05-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I know that this really isn't an "injury" per se, but what do you do about muscle cramps. I know the first thing is hydration and potassium. I am already doing this. Is there a "zone solution" for them?

Matt Gagliardi
05-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Jim, I'd add a proper warmup...see the CF FAQ...and cooldown (with at least some light stretching) to the H2O/K you're already working with. That should help.

Bobbi Beglau Salvini
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Jim: This can also be caused by a calcium deficiency. Eat up to five Tums antacids. They are a great source of calcium and are fairly cheep and easy to consume. Some people have problems with digestion if they eat them all at once. Also try adding calcium rich foods to your diet like dairy, dark leafy vegetable like kale or collard greens, broccoli, sesame seeds, and the best source is sardines. Calcium is used for many many things in the body, obviously bones and teeth but also for muscle contractions, and it can help control high blood pressure. Besides leg cramps, you can get bone spurs if you don't get enough calcium. If the body is always robbing the bones for calcium stores, small traces will be left behind and will slowly build up.

William Hunter
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
"Hey, it's something my body needs anyway."

Gotta go with Matt on this one. Always allow for enough warm up time prior to going all out. You'll pay for it if you don't.

In overall healthy individuals, I think calcium deficiency is somewhat rare, especially following a zone diet.