PDA

View Full Version : Bursitis and Glucosamine

Kenneth Ritchie
05-27-2005, 04:31 AM
I suffer from bursitis in my left hip and it really gets anoying and usually prevents me from doing many movements when it starts up. Usually brought on by impact activities but sometimes just decides to hurt like hell anyway. I bought myself some glucosamine in liquid form to see if it would help. I reckon it did but was just wondering if anyone else either suffers from similar stuff or has any other ideas on how to help it.

Bobbi Beglau Salvini
07-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Kenneth: I also have a hip injury from a water park. The Doctor told me that for cartilage injury take the glucosamine at least four times a day or it will do nothing. If after two months there is no improvement, he thinks there never will be from this product, so save your money. What has helped my hip injury is the rowing machine. It is low impact. I over reach and pull with explosive movements into a small sit up position to get the most movement in the hip. Start with a low setting before trying to work up to more resistance. There is very low blood supply to cartilage so healing is slow. In other words, don't expect to get results quickly. Also, in doing squats and other movements that are full weight, I was told not to drop your rear past a horizontal thigh. This was not from a medical person so use your judgement here or trial and error.

I also lay on my side and do small rapid leg lifts 50 for the top leg and 30 for the lower leg. A while back I read a book on cartilage recovery in the elderly, and they recommended this type of approach to get the blood flowing into the joint. Periodically my hip would slip out of the socket, and I would be on crutches for several days. This has not reoccurred since I started these. I don't know how much this particular exercise has helped with the joint itself, but it takes so little time, I figure why not.

David Besachio
07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Kenneth:

Glucosamine is typically used as a supplement to assist those individuals with cartilage loss within a joint. The studies I've seen say you need at least 1500 mg/day taken for 6-8 weeks in order to see if you'll derive benefit.

I'm not aware of any use of glucosamine for bursitis. If you find anything out let me know but I don't want you to waste your money if you don't have to . . .