PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury - Dropped OHS

Erik Davis
07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
So basically, this is my first time doing Overhead Squats and my balance needs alot of work. The bar I was using is a cheap 25lb bar instead of the wider olympic so I cant get as wide of a grip as I guess I might need, but anyways after a few reps I just lose balance and I drop it, but keep holding on. My right shoulder seems to be the only thing that has taken a hit. I have a prior rotator cuff injury about 5-6 years ago (im 19). It seems like I have full motion of the shoulder and the pain has mostly subsided, but it hurt like hell for about 5 minutes (I got dizzy and had to lay down, ringing in ears, etc) and the worst part was I heard some sort of grinding noise as it was dropping.

Any ideas what the hell happened? I dont think i dislocated it since I can move it all over, but I happen to have a freakishly large ROM in my shoulders and so I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it (if my arms were longer and my legs were shorter I could literally jump rope by holding my hands together).

I appreciate any info you guys can give me, and if it is still feeling weird in a few days I will definitely go see a doc. Damn, bodybuilding-style workouts really messed me up.

Veronica Carpenter
07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Erik, you need to learn to drop the bar if you are losing your balance. It's hard to say what happened without seeing what you did, but, a narrow grip in the OHS with the bar in position just behind the plane of your ears, requires a lot of shoulder flexibility. Since you said you have plenty of flexibility there, I'm guessing trying to save/catch the bar when you're losing it is what caused your pain.

Hope you've iced it and some anti-inflamatories won't hurt. I'd definitely have it checked especially since you've had a prior injury in the RC.

Lynne Pitts
07-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Erik
1) welcome
2) see a doc sooner than later
3) no f-words on the board.

Erik Davis
07-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Ok, my apologies.

I am definitely going to see a doctor soon ... while I was relatively pain free last night, I must have slept on it or something because I woke up after 4 hours of sleep and its not doing too well.

William Hunter
07-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Erik,

Sounds like you may have injured your rotator cuff (again?) or possibly injured your glenoid labrum, which is a cartilaginous lip around the glenoid fossa (the socket). When healthy, it adds a little depth to the socket. When torn or injured, the shoulder is inherently less stable.

You're young and probably don't want long term shoulder problems, so I'd go see an orthopedist.

Hope that helps.

Erik Davis
07-12-2005, 02:35 PM
I got back from the doctor and no new breakthroughs, but tomorrow I get another MRI. Between what I read and what the doctor says I think I subluxated my shoulder and damaged the cuff. I guess I can spend my rehab time learning PROPER technique, including practicing dropping the weights. Boy do I feel stupid.

But thank you guys, you have been helpful.