PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick all the time

Jason Berger
06-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I get sick ALL the time now that I try to mix weightlifting/WODs/external fitness whatever with martial arts. I'm eating a restricted calorie diet, hoping to lose weight, but it's healthy, paleo food, and I supplement with vitamins.

I'm a student so I can sleep 8-10 hours a night.

I am somewhat stressed, but nothing like I used to be a few years ago.

Lately I've been getting sick every three weeks, followed by a week and a half of recovery. I rarely get a chance to do anything any more.

This didn't happen before I resumed martial arts and only lifted weights.

Scott Shafer
06-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Start by upping your calories. Your body is sending you a message...

Brendan Melville
06-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I used to be in that situation--multiple years of a depressed immune system--and every spring starting around february, I would have ear infections, colds, you name it for like 5 months. It wasn't until I ate good sized paleo foods with no junk that my body really switched into gear and fixed itself. I say most sicknesses are solvable by dietary changes. So go with Scott's advice.

Janet Fisher
06-26-2005, 10:35 PM
This might be wayyyy off base, but have you checked your house for allergens like dust mites or hidden black mold, cigarette smoke from neighbouring appartments, etc?

I ask, because I was getting sick every month (or more often) for the last 2 years. Apart from colds, GI problems, and fatigue, I had chronic neck/shoulder/back tension. When I moved my neck, it sounded like Rice Crispies. I was convinced I was developing fibromyalgia. However, I just found out last month it's been caused by chronic sinus infections, lowering my immune system and making me susceptible to the other stuff. Antibiotics (cefadroxil) took away the chronic tension and stiffness within 3 days. Within 6 days, I had energy that I haven't had in ages.

I went nuts, thinking the sinus infections were due to dust mites since our house is 90% carpet, and started madly vaccuuming. My fiance caught my spring-cleaning bug and moved some shelves, and behind them were BIG thick patches of black mold. Like the tip of an iceburg, it was thicker on the back side of the drywall. There was a leaky pipe at this first location we found, but I went looking for more mold and found it behind a vanity in the basement bathroom, where there was a minor flood 6 years ago. The second location of mold had been quietly sustaining itself all this time.

Wow, this is a longer post than I intended. My point is, your frequent illness could be due to overtraining, or you could just be pushing your body past that point where it can handle the existing immune system load.

Sean Harrison
06-27-2005, 08:00 PM
You Are Overtrained!

Hone Watson
06-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I reckon you're overtrained too.

Sean Harrison
06-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Who me? Or Mr. Berger?

:wink:

Jeryd Leuck
07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Back on topic, what is the best way to get "unsick" ? I have been sick for the last week and I can not seem to shake it.

I'm thinking it is because of the lack of sleep that comes with a 1 year old, but I am only guessing. :lol:

Ron Nelson
07-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Wash your hands.
Often.
As far as getting "unsick;" drink water and flush out the toxins.
Think about having a good schwitz (sweat) in a sauna, or just go to San Antonio. You could use the relaxation

Dan Silver
07-06-2005, 02:49 PM
How is one supposed to relax in the bustling epicenter of culture and excitement, commonly known as San Antonio?

-D.

Ron Nelson
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
The way I did: Drinking lots of Shiner at a patio bar on the Riverwalk.
Or, enjoy a Stella at the Mengers Hotel Bar.

Scott Kustes
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Mmmmm....Shiner. I had some when I was in Dallas last week. Intended to just have a beer with dinner....it turned into 3 Shiners because they were so dang tasty. I bet that'll cure what ails ya.

Albert Clayton
07-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Just mentioning San Antonio on this board has probably moved it up on the list of healthy cities to live in. Try a Shiner Heifeweizen with some lemons. Damn tasty in the 104 degree heat we are having.

Don Woodson
07-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Doesn't anybody drink Texas Pride anymore? kiddin'.
(I went to Roosevelt HS on Walzem road 30 years ago).

Albert Clayton
07-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Wow, you are as old as me. Texas Pride is out but you can still get Pearl.

Dan Silver
07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Is the tire-swing still there too?

-D.

Brian Hand
07-07-2005, 03:03 PM
If you're getting sick every three weeks, maybe try 20 days full speed on your WODs, 4 days at half-intensity to unload, unloading your extra workout activities at the same time, substituting more restorative extras.

Scott Parker
07-08-2005, 02:55 PM
the one thing that gets my attention is that you are doing all of these activities AND your on a restricted calorie diet. you've got to eat sufficient calories, especially in your case since you are so active. if your eating paleo, and doing it right you will definately lose bodyfat, and (this is just my own personal opinion) you can ditch the vitamins. you should be getting more than what you need by eating paleo.

in addition to the diet you may just be overdoing it. for almost the last two years i had the same exact problem. i would get sick like every few months. always the same thing. sore throat, malaise, etc. i was also going to school full time and working full-time in either a hospital setting or on an ambulance. part of it i contribute to constantly being exposed to all kinds of junk in those settings and building immunity. regardless, now that i have graduated, am back to eating better, and only work 3 or 4 days a week i feel much better.

like others have mentioned it could also be some sort of allergy or irritant. something you may have not been sensitive to in the past may be making you sick now. as you age you can actually develop new allergies and not be allergic to things that you previously were allergic to.

my advice would be to ditch the calorie restriction and listen to your body, and maybe scale it back a bit with the exercise for a bit. if you go all out, follow a sport and do the WOD your body will shut down sooner or later.

if none of that works go see the doc. there may be something else going on. after about a year of feeling like this, i actually went and got tested for HIV. by no means am i saying that this is what you have or that you should do it. just telling you what i did. i was getting the calssic syomtoms if how it initially presents, which are flu-like symptoms, and the fact that i working as an EMT in a part of the country that has one of the highest populations of the disease (same with TB - isn't new jersey a lovely place?) i got tested. at least now i have peace of mind. anyway...

hopefully you took away some useful info from this. let us know if you have any other questions. keep us posted.

scott

Dan Silver
07-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Mono.

-D.

Jeremy Jones
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
you would know.

:kiss::wink:

Jeryd Leuck
07-09-2005, 10:39 AM
How is one supposed to relax in the bustling epicenter of culture and excitement, commonly known as San Antonio?

AirForce Basic Training for me. While I am going to miss my son it will be nice to be able to sleep longer then 3 hours at a time.}

Derek Lane
07-09-2005, 11:08 AM
That is so beautiful! You're going to AirForce Boot Camp so you can get a chance to relax.... Jeryd, I think you just made my week!

Dan Silver
07-09-2005, 01:43 PM
That's how I felt about the police academy, nice break from the ambulance. That lasted, oh, all of two days.

-D.

Jason Berger
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Just an update:

I've cut back my exercise, working out 2 times a week and doing martial arts 3 times a week. Going strictly by feel, I think I should stop working out entirely for a few weeks because I may be severely overtrained, BUT that seems impossible for some reason.

I'm eating a paleo diet with intermittent fasting now, instead of simple calorie restriction. I'm eating whenever I feel hungry with no regards to quantity, and I think I'm actually eating less (at the end of the week) than I was on a calorically restricted diet.

Every now and then I feel like I'm getting sick, so I pull back and let myself recover. The bouts of pre-sickness symptoms are definitely coinciding with days that I really push myself, so it's for this reason I'm thinking I may be chronically overtrained.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll keep you updated.