PDA

View Full Version : Handwalking and Wrist Pain

Bryan Wheelock
07-12-2005, 08:31 AM
I've been walking on my hands (PR about 10ft ) too much, 3+ times a day and now my wrist is killing me.
I've been icing it, but it still is bothering me.
I'm going to rest it for 10 days, but does anyone have any ideas how to avoid this in the future.

I'm wondering if my wrist will adapt by getting tougher or if I'm just putting to much stress on my metacarpals. ( I weight 220 pounds )

Suggestions or Tips are welcome.

Keith Wittenstein
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I would stop doing hand walking for a while. You're a big guy and I don't know how long you've been walking around on your hands, but you should probably ease back into it a little slower. Do some wrist exercises/stretches and go slow. Do some overhead presses and see how that feels. Then do some pushups and see how they feel. Then do some static holds on both hands. Then do some static holds on one hand. For example there is a yoga pose called side plank (vasistasana) from the top of a pushup put the weight on the right hand and the edge of the right foot. Face your body to the left and reach your left arm to the sky. The legs are straight and strong. The hips are lifted high. Do 30 seconds on each hand and see how that feels. Then do some 30-60 second handstands at the wall. If you can support the static holds for a good long time without pain, then start back slowly on the handwalking. But if you keep feeling pain in any of the above exercises, then keep backing off until you find a level that you can work at without pain for a while.

Kevin Anderson
07-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I had the same issue because my wrists just are not very flexible. I agree, don't push it. I would make sure you are good and warmed up before you stretch your wrists and especially before you work on the handstands. Try doing handstands in the pool. Great way to stretch the wrists out with out too much load. Gradually work up to the shallow end.

Dan Silver
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
After rest/healing I'd just practice regular handstands on a pair of dumbells or parallettes for a while. That should help you develop the skill but relieve some of the wrist pressure.

-D.

Jeremy Jones
07-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I had some wrist problems when practicing for my 100' handstand walk. Turning my hands out so that my middle fingers pointed to the 10:30 (left) and 1:30 (right) helped quite a bit.

I also did lots of wrist stretching. While kneeling down, place both palms on the ground in front of you. Rotate your hands to the outside until your fingers are pointing directly toward your body and your thumbs are pointing out. Keeping your fingers and palms flat on the ground, sit back and away from your hands stretching the inside of your forearms. A few sets of 15 - 30 seconds usually does the trick for me.

I also flip my hands over (backs of hands down, thumbs on the inside) and stretch the backs of my wrists.

Remember to build up to HSW slowly. I was doing 1.5 + minute handstands against a wall before frolicking around inverted.