PDA

View Full Version : Forearm pain/ Armbar injury

David Kelso
06-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Hello there, around 10 weeks ago i suffered an injury to my arm as a result of an armbar (wouldnt tap, but i got out). The days following the injury it was a bit painful but didnt restrict any of my motion. It then got worse to point that i couldnt grip anything or put weight on the arm. The pain was localised to the outer side of my forearm (pinky side)mostly in the middle between my wrist and elbow. I also had burning sensations in this area. I went to my old instructor who is a chinese bone doctor and received treatment and followed his recomendation to rest in completely for 2 weeks. This helped alot and gripping became possible. Its now 10 weeks on and the pain is now felt during any sort of impact on my arm like burpees or landing on all fours (im a freerunner). I also feel it during chins but pull ups are fine. But i mostly feel it during any downward pressing movement especially if my hand is in a thumbs up position. For rehab im currently icing it a lot, stretching it alot and using hand grippers. I was hoping someof you guys could possibly help me as to what other possible rehab i could do, what you think the injury me actualy be? Do you think im best avoiding the movements which cause me pain?- the pain is not great but usually i feel it the day after if ive done burpees or something. At first my range of motion in a stretched position was extremely decreased now its more or less back to normal.
If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated,
Thanks
Davie

Mike Yukish
06-20-2005, 06:59 AM
I'm just a ski patroller, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express once, so here's my diagnosis...

Did you ever get it X-rayed? Sounds like a greenstick fracture or bone bruise to the ulna. You can google both for signs, symptoms, and recommended treatments.

David Kelso
06-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the diagnosis mike, ive googled it, and the symptoms sound about right. I havent had an x-ray because i initialy thought it was a tendon injury (which i believe there was but was healed by the chinese medicine). Unfortunately if i use the nhs in this country im likely to wait about 2 weeks for an x-ray then be told "take ibuprofen". I will however go back and get treatment from my old instructor, i have no faith in the doctors here. Whilst im healing do you think it would be wise to avoid all exercise with the arm or just movements that cause me pain? for example deadlifts and pull ups are fine.
Thanks again for the help

Dan Silver
06-24-2005, 03:40 AM
Tap or snap brother. Don't let pride get in the way of your ability to flip through channels and drive yourself around town.

-D.

David Kelso
06-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Lol Dan. If it was training i get you bro, but this was a tournament. In a way its a good thing as its sparked an evolution of my martial arts philosophies.

Yecenia Diaz
04-22-2011, 06:18 AM
David,

I know this all happened a long time ago, but I had the exact same thing happen to me about a month ago and it doesn't seem like it's getting much better. Just wondering if you ever got some kind of diagnosis? I've tried to get one but let's just say Army doctors aren't always the most helpful... Just was hoping to compare notes. Thanks and hopefully you've healed okay!

-Yecenia

Brent Sallee
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM
David,

I know this all happened a long time ago, but I had the exact same thing happen to me about a month ago and it doesn't seem like it's getting much better. Just wondering if you ever got some kind of diagnosis? I've tried to get one but let's just say Army doctors aren't always the most helpful... Just was hoping to compare notes. Thanks and hopefully you've healed okay!

-Yecenia

Sounds like ulnar nerve damage, along with finger/wrist flexor strain, all due to stretch. You may even have capsule/ligament involvement depending on how far your arm went. If you're in the army, go see a physical therapist. They should be able to help you out. It's actually pretty easy.