PDA

View Full Version : Hernia & Squats

Sean Mulcahy
06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm about to start training a few guys CF style and one of them has suffered a hernia in the past that he reinjured later on. He tells me that squats/DLs are a no-go for him.

Should I back off, allow him to substitute, and basically cut out half of CrossFit OR start slow and light and spray with a little "YBF"? Obviously, I already think I know which way I'll go, but just wanted to check first with those who have suffered the same injury.

Joshua F Hillis
06-29-2005, 11:32 PM
I think I just got a hernia last week. I go in to the doctor tomorrow. Not much help now, but I'll keep you posted on how things show up for me.

Karl Steadman
06-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Sean, get the spray out dude and start light, strict, strict form.

Joshua, i seriously hope not mate, that would suck, best wishes!

Ben Kaminski
06-30-2005, 06:41 AM
I have read that the hernia treatment where they put a screen over the area under the skin works wonders and the result is that the area is stronger than before the injury. The body basically absorbs the screen into the area of injury. Recovery is short too. Comparing this treatment to sutures (the old way) is like comparing penicillin to blood-letting IMHO.

Matt Gagliardi
06-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Back in the day (like 5-6 years ago) I had 2 clients with the mesh implant. I spoke with both of their doctors, who told me to keep things relatively light. The mesh is an improvement over sutures, but not as good as never having had a hernia.

Strengthening the core and emphasizing proper form is key. Proceed...but with caution.

Dan Silver
06-30-2005, 01:58 PM
If it pops out again just poke it back in with a stick or something.

-D.

Joshua F Hillis
06-30-2005, 02:12 PM
The doc gave me a big thumbs up. Says he has no idea what was sticking out of my abdomin a week ago after working out, but says I don't have a hernia.

So I'm going to spray on a little YBF, get back to working out, and if I can get some internal organ to stick out of me again, I'll go show him.

Jim Aldridge
06-30-2005, 03:23 PM
I had a hernia operation about six months ago. Since then, I have set new pr's in DL and pullups. I am doing the Crossfit WOD coupled with the black box ME training. It was slow coming back and occasionally I will have little mild discomfort from what was very likely nerve damage that occurred during the surgery. Other than that, I feel 100%.

For what it is worth,
Jim

Kelly Moore
07-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I had a hernia several years ago; lots of pain when it happened and lots of pain until it was repaired. It was "no mesh" surgery and I've had no trouble with it since that time. Like Jim I've set beltless PRs in different variations of the deadlift and squat as well as pullups and overhead lifts. Just start light, use impeccable form and keep moving!

Sean Mulcahy
07-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Roger that. Good to hear from the "vets" out there.

Thanks.

Jeff Martin
07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Sean,
I got a double on this one. Hernia both sides. (One repaired with mesh the other traditional) as well as a herniated disk in the lower back that the docs wanted to do surgery on. When I started CF I couldn't do a hyper extension on the back machine without a lot of pain, I had given up squats and deads on the PT's and doctors advice. On CrossFit, building up slowely I have done a 2X bodyweight Deadlift. I am stronger now and in less pain than in anytime in the past ten years.

Beth Moscov
07-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Build up slowly cause he is likely to have fear of reinjury which will make him tense when doing the exercises and more likely injure himself. But also, tell him that if the doc said he is allowed to sit down on the toilet and get back up again without help, he can squat (same move) and if the doc says he can pick his keys up off the floor when he drops them, he can deadlift.