PDA

View Full Version : Diastasis and pregnancy

John Walsh
05-26-2005, 02:42 PM
My wive has diastasis. Diastasis is a separation of the two halves of the rectus abdominis muscle along the line of the linea alba. This is down the middle of your belly and can happen during pregnancy.

Does anyone have any advice on what exercises help to rehab this condition? I was hoping that maybe some of the CF mothers have had some experience with this. Thanks.

Roger Harrell
05-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I've had a couple students that have had this happen. I'll see if I can get some info from them. (they've moved).

Veronica Carpenter
05-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Crossfit mama here. It takes some time after pregnancy for the separation to lessen. Sometimes, though, it has to be surgically repaired. For me it seemed to take forever, but then again I hate working abs. I'd check with an MD for specific exercises to be sure what she does does not worsen the condition.

John Walsh
05-27-2005, 04:38 AM
My wife's condition does not require surgery. The seperation is small. Unfortunately her doctor knows virtually nothing about exercise. I think she told her to do crunches.:sad:

Brian Hand
05-27-2005, 01:54 PM
John, this article might have some related info -

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jun/19/survival_reflexes.htm

Dan Silver
05-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I'd get a flame retardant suit, of some sort, prior to bringing this up with the better half.

-D.

Fiona Muxlow
07-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Stay way from the crunches at least for a while, to many to soon will give her a pot belly if she has this condition. Try modified abdominal exercises: Do abdominal contractions on all fours or while laying on your back propped up by pillows cross your arms across your belly gently pulling the two sides of the rectus abdominus muscle together as you curl up, contracting your abdominal muscles, exhale on the lift.
She has to work transverse (on the knees) and horizontal abdominal holds and a maiuvour called Kegel exercises, which will work the abs but also help strengthen the pelvic floor before and after birth.

PS I'm not a mum, but a personal trainer who works with alot of mums to be through teaching aqua aerobics.