PDA

View Full Version : Numbness in forearm/hand during sleep

Kevin Anderson
06-27-2005, 12:34 PM
For the past couple of weeks I have been waking up several times a night because my forearm and hand have gone numb. Lately I've been doing a lot of Olympic lifting but I've also cut out dairy. Could lack of calcium cause such a thing? The other weird thing is that my hands are going asleep when I ride my mountain bike. This has never happened before.

Paul Siatczynski
06-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you might have carpal tunnel syndrome. It typically wakes people up at night, and could be aggravated from the vibration of biking. I doubt that lack of calcium would have an impact, but start dairy again and see. Spinting at night, and or a cortisone shot might be helpful once you have a firm diagnosis.

Paul Siatczynski
06-27-2005, 08:05 PM
In the last post, spinting should be splinting.

Kevin Anderson
06-28-2005, 03:40 AM
It is my pinky finger that really goes numb, not my thumb.

from Mayo Clinic: Tingling or numbness in your fingers or hand, especially your thumb, index, middle or ring fingers, but not your little finger.

I've really been working on flexibility in my wrists and shoulders to get a better rack position in the front squat and I think that is what is causing it. It would probably go away if I layed off but I'm seeing progress with my olympic lifts and can't stop now.

Dan Silver
06-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Any recent neck or upper-back injuries/tweaks?

-D.

William Hunter
06-28-2005, 05:08 AM
From the shoulder girdle area, pinkie side numbness can be from the pec minor, thumb side numbness can be from the anterior scalene.

Kevin Anderson
06-28-2005, 05:41 AM
No recent injuries or anything but both of my wrists seem a bit inflamed. Not sore really, just a little irritated from front squat position and overhead squat position. As far as activity is concerned, I've been doing snatch and C&J with every workout which is a lot more than I was used to doing. My wrists are not very flexible and I usually have to warm up pretty good before they stretch out enough to perform the olympic lifts. I'm going to ice them some and try and not sleep with my arm curled up. Hopefully it will just go away. It could also be originating from my shoulders from overhead squats. Who knows.

Ben Kaminski
06-28-2005, 07:08 AM
My pinky and half my ring finger fall asleep sometimes when I am sleeping. The problem is in my elbows - the "funny bone" spot has absolutely no fat, and the nerves run right through there. When I sleep on my back and lay my arms at my sides, the sheets can press into the spot where the nerve is between skin and bone and make my fingers fall asleep. When I wake up everything goes back to normal.

Kevin Anderson
06-28-2005, 07:46 AM
It is definitely the ulnar nerve but I don't know where the source of the problem is.

William Hunter
06-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Kevin, what Ben is referring to is probably Cubital Tunnel syndrome ("funny bone" area). This is a very common area of entrapment. For some reason the ulnar nerve is larger at the entrance to the cubital tunnel than anywhere else along its course. However, there are often both sensory and motor signs from this entrapment.

The tunnel of Guyon is located at the wrist (a counterpart to the Carpal tunnel). The ulnar nerve passes through here as well. It usually has sensory signs only.

Yoni Ellman
07-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Sounds like I have a vey similar problem.
While working out today -doing Nancy and the overhead squats, my thumb and index finger felt numb and tingly (like they fell asleep). I thought it might be the gloves and my watch cutting off circulation, so I loosened them, but it didnt stop. I finished Nancy and then did a pull up workout.
It been about 2-3 hrs since it started and I still feel it. This is weired.
Any ideas suggestions.
I dont think I hurt anything (all feels good)

Becca Borawski
07-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Overhead squats make my thumb and index finger go numb everytime I do them as well. It seems to be lessening in intensity with each workout that includes them, though. The first time I lost feeling in both hands for two days. This last time, I only lost feeling in one for a few hours. Not sure why it's changed.