PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Tendonitis on outside forearm

Tom Corrigan
05-13-2005, 09:09 AM
A friend of mine at the Fire Dept. has been struggling with a bad case of tendonitis for THREE years, in which he has received Cortisone shots (2) which lasted for about 8 months after the first one, but the second one only lasted about 4 months. Now it is back, and as painful as ever. It is on the outside of his arm, near the elbow, and it is most painful when he grips and lifts with his palm down. Even with very light loads, such as when he grabs clothes out of a laundry machine. When he extends (raises w/palm down) his middle finger, he thinks this is where it hurts the worst.

I feel PARTIALLY responsible because it started when he did 2 KB jerks for ten minutes after watching a Girevoy Sport Competition tape from Russia that I let him borrow.

He just started wearing a elbow band that was recommended by his doctor. It's the basic "ACE" brand that is foam covered plastic with a stretchy elastic velcro band.

He is currently icing only 20 minutes once a day and not taking any pain medication. He has been taking the band off at night.

He would like to know what icing / stretching / rehab exercises / workout adaptations / band use guidlines / would be the most effective in treating his Tendonitis.

Thanks in advance for your responces!!

Tom Corrigan
Everett Fire Dept.

Jeff Martin
05-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Tom,
As evidenced by the pic on the front page today, I have elbow issues. This may go against what others say, but it seems to be working for me. Regarding ice. Once a day is not enough. 2-3 times minimum. Stretching is mandatory as well, several times a day. As far as the band, I rarely use it when working out. I wear it if I am going to be holding mitts and at night when I sleep. I've found the worst time is first thing in the morning. Wearing the band overnight relieves that.

Mike Moore
05-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Here's a couple of references. Good Luck. I had the same problem and symptoms lasted 10 months. If your buudy tries to train through this: (1) Get an accurate diagnosis, and if it is a tendinosis of the extensor tendons, (2) use a forearm band, (3) use wrist straps for all pulling exercises (he will see the difference after trying this!), (4) ICE MASSAGE!!!

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/05_00/khan.htm

http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/articles/common_tendinopathies.htm

Lincoln Brigham
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
My massage therapist SWEARS by hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold treatments for tennis elbow. 3 minutes of hot water alternated with one minute of ice water, as extreme as you can stand, as many times per day as you can. She says it works even better than - gasp! - massage.

Tom Corrigan
05-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your advice! I will send my friend here to check out the messages and he may sign on.

BTW - Lincoln - I've recently tried the hot/cold/hot/cold showers and I must say I've been a lot less stiff and sore after workouts.

Jeff - Congrats on the continued success of Brand X Martial Arts! Great pictures and posts.

Lincoln Brigham
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Tom,

Me too. I've had even better results with more extreme temps than the shower can manage. I've been using the double sink in the kitchen and filling the right side with ice water. I'm just not as regular with it as I should be...

Rob McBee
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey gang,

I've had the dang tennis elbow for about nine months. Don Woodson on this board recommended I try the "Band-it". I bought the most expensive one ($39, with the mystical power of magnets) and it has really decreased the pain. The magnet free version probably works just as well. Its been about 2 weeks and I wear it all the time execpt while training and showering.

Brandon Thomas
05-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Tom,

I have had a few issues with my elbow over the past three years or so myself. I have tried everything from bands, ice, heat, massage, etc. to relieve the pain on the outside of my elbow. What finally did the trick, to my surprise, was working on my forearm and grip strength.

It is just my opinion, but I would advise staying away from wrist straps. In my mind I believe the constant use of them during my "bodybuilding" days played a major role in my elbow pain. I would use them on every pulling exercise and even on curling exercises, I was addicted to them. If I could tie it to my arm and lift it, it was all good. This led to some painfull muscle imbalances. I did not realize that there was a reason I could not curl 60lb. dumbbells 10 reps without straps. My biceps may have been ready but my body was not.

With that said, the exercise that I do most often is farmer's walks. Use a weight that will only allow you to go about 25 yards or so before your grip fails, rest and then go back to your starting point. I do 5 sets three days a week after my WOD. I also do about half of my pullups hanging from two fat pieces of rope that I braided together (like towel pullups). Your friend should constantly strecth his forearms by extending his arm and pulling the fingers back. Another thing I did was stay away from exercises that caused pain. Your friend sounds like he has a lot of the same symptoms that I had, maybe the remedy will work as well.

Brandon Thomas