PDA

View Full Version : Golfers elbow

Michael Nobori
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I had golfers elbow a few years ago. It was aggravated by doing chin-ups, but soon all pull-ups hurt. So, I rested (e.g. no pull ups for months) and did lots of ice, Advil, etc.. The problem corrected itself enough that I was able to resume doing pulls with no discomfort. Recently, the problem reappeared and I realize now that the pain began around the time I started trying to add a kip.

I am wondering if it’s possible that kipping is indeed re-aggravating my elbow problems (perhaps the stress of the added forward-back motion?). Is the problem poor technique? Will the arm band Don recommends be a good fix? Do I need to rest (no pull-ups) and treat the injury? Or, do I need to abandon kipping?

Anyone out there want to play doctor? Thanks, in advance.

Brian Gibson
05-25-2005, 05:50 AM
It could be possible that the kipping is aggravating your golfer's elbow. The kipping is more explosive which will put more stress on things.

I have [insert sport] elbow too. Mine came from playing tennis in high school and throughout college. Kipping doesn't bother mine though. The only thing that has aggravated mine were DEEP dips on the rings. The arm band helped me when I used it. I didn't have to use it all the time, but it did work.

I would try the arm band and see what happens. If it keeps hurting when you kip, then try not to kip as often. Try to move into kipping over time. Do a few kipping pullups every now and then. Keep increasing the number as long as they don't cause you discomfort.

Just my $0.02.

Cosmo Michales
05-25-2005, 11:49 AM
I recently had a problem with golfer's elbow (self-diagnosed) brought on by ice hockey. I used the arm band that is used for tennis elbow and it helped a lot. I also stayed away from offending exercises like reverse curls. It took about 12 weeks for it to subside. I know a few people who have had the same problem and 12 weeks seems to be the norm. Mine is complicated by a tear on the top of the forearm to the bicep tendon (from submission wrestling), but I have been cross-fitting for several months without major problems.

Michael Nobori
05-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Cosmo and Brian. I will invest in an arm band and ease into more kipping. The problem isn't too severe yet, so I hope I will not need a full 12 week recovery.

Michael Keller
05-26-2005, 09:38 PM
I've been having the same problem, in both elbows. I have not been able to determine yet if it is from kipping pull-ups or from using heavy db's when doing db presses. I can tell that there is a strain when I move the db's from the floor and pull them up to chest level for presses, but it also seems that the pain is worse after kipping pull-ups. I think I am just going to do dead hangs for a while and see if it goes away.

Ron Nelson
06-01-2005, 09:35 AM
An old wise man (Jeff M.) told me about the arm bands and that allowed me to resume my pull ups whilst fighting the tendonitis. Then the wise old man told me he uses a patellar tendon band (for the knee) on his elbow and it works better than the one designed for the elbow. Seems to make sense as it has a foam bar that crosses the tendons, separating them and preventing the inflammation.
I've yet to try it. I keep forgetting my arm band before workouts with pull ups and I regret it every time!

Michael Nobori
06-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Ron --

That patellar tendon band sounds like a good idea. I just started wearing a tennis elbow band on the inside of my arm (medially) and it is a bit uncomfortable. But, it has proven beneficial already. I did Fran the other day without much discomfort afterward (insert joke here). Thanks for the suggestion.

Ron Nelson
06-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Michael,
Good to see you have the true spirit of the injury board!! Some of us are way ahead of you on the "insert joke here" phase!
Good luck!

Christian Lemburg
06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Have a look at the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook - good investment. See http://www.triggerpointbook.com/.

Michael Nobori
06-10-2005, 10:52 AM
The Trigger Point book looks interesting. I'm always interested in alternative solutions. Thanks for the recommendation, Christian.

Jeff Martin
06-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Found something even better. Band-it, found it in the tennis section. Hm...... Anyway, been wearing it now for two weeks and I have had huge improvement.