PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

Chuck Pelowski
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
So I was doing some powercleans, trying to find my max. Well, I found it. It's not 155. In fact, 155, is the weight that my grip gives out causing the bar to land on my shin taking a hunk of skin with it. Ouch. Anyway, most of my shin was covered with blood, so I had to go get a bandage put on the thing. So much for swimming after my workout...

All that to ask this: Should I lay off the cleans and deadlifts (since the bar moves up the shins)until this thing heals up or will I be OK to work out if I keep a bandage on it?

Pat Janes
06-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Memories... I've still got the scar from doing that to my left shin, Chuck; about 3 months ago.

I didn't stop anything and didn't bandage it either; wanted to let it "breathe". Didn't have any further problems with it.

Interestingly enough, I did go swimming straight afterwards too... think the salt water in the pool might have helped the healing process.

Larry Lindenman
06-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Ripped a chunk of skin off the back of my left thumb bailing on a snatch!! I don't know how, but I was bleeding like a stuck pig. My suggestion, shave the hair and slap some duct tape over that bad boy before you lift (I think Dan John would tell you to leave the hair, just to see you scream when he rips it off, during a lift)...skin injuries are no excuse!

Chuck Pelowski
06-11-2005, 11:15 AM
hahaha... that's awesome. Will do.

Kristian Palaoro
06-11-2005, 02:57 PM
I cannot recall doing a powerclean properly when the bar did not rub against my shins on the lift. Take extra caution if you are going to modify your form in any way to accomodate an injury. The extra torque due to leaning out could do more harm than waiting a few or modifying the workout to exclude that exercise temporarily. Still, there's something to be said for the person who sucks it up, wipes the blood off the bar, and sterilizes with a little ethyl alcohol after the lift.