PDA

View Full Version : Calluses

Neill S. Occhiogrosso
06-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Like other CrossFitters, I wear my calluses with pride. My girlfriend is another story. After one month of CrossFit (and fantastic results) she's threatening to give up pull-ups because of the calluses. Does anybody know of a good way to prevent them?

Roger Harrell
06-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Yeah, it's easy. Don't do anything that applies any friction to your hands.

Calluses are how our skin protects itself from wear. Lotions and such can reduce the issue, but it's gonna happen.

You could do the pullups on a rolling bar that way the hand doesn't slide at all. Do the pullups gripping some nice cloth? Hang by her wrists instead of hands? Do the pullups hanging from your hands in a writst-hand grip?

Veronica Carpenter
06-04-2005, 08:15 PM
...wimp out and use lifting gloves.

Ana V. Crespo
06-07-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm the girlfriend with a need for soft hands. :-) Lifting gloves have helped, but I guess I'll have to try new ones that cover more of my hands. If that doesn't work, I'll try hanging by the wrists. Thanks for the feedback.

Veronica Carpenter
06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Ana if you hang by the wrists you'll build callouses on the wrists. No way around callouses really. When they start to bother you, file them down with pumice, sandpaper, emeryboard, etc. If you're brave enough, you can just shave them off with a razor (my favorite technique)

Dan Silver
06-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Or you can wait until nature shaves them off for you. Cindy + Mary is what worked for me.

-D.

Veronica Carpenter
06-07-2005, 01:49 PM
OUCH, don't listen to Dan! :lame:

Kelly Moore
06-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Ana,

Callouses are cool! I hate to admit this as I've always been proud to own a few on my baby soft hide, but now I'm having to do the pumice stone routine to keep them almost non-existent. Looks like "powder puff" hands for me. :-( Tearing callouses really slows down GS and ISC training....

Brad Hirakawa
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Callouses are definitely cool. :-) Damn sexy on a woman if you ask me.

Michael Street
06-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Check out the Pedro ceramic callus remover. You really can't beat it for the price ($18) never wears out. I have used sandpaper and pumice stones, they are weak compared to this tool. As long as you keep up on filing :proud:your calluses, you should not have issue with tears etc, which will keep you in the game.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/10849.jpg

Tom Brose
06-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Since she came out to the CF cert in April, my girlfeind has been really motivated to work on her pullups. She is definitly not into the rough hands (which I am thankful for, not being like Brad).

She is using a cut peice of thin Yoga mat over the bar as a grip pad. May not be CF kosher, but she is getting stronger and enjoying it.

Mike Ryan
06-10-2005, 07:34 AM
High bar / uneven bar grips might be a good alternative. Just not the ones with the dowel, that would be cheating:happy:. They are especially good at preventing rips (callus riped open).

Carrie Klumpar
06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Brad earns the big points for that post. :-)

Ron Nelson
06-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Hmmmmmm. People stare at me as I pick at my calluses.
It's a habit, like biting nails, only cooler!

Dan Silver
06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Stop using salad tongs.

-D.

Ron Nelson
06-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh. Never thought of that.