PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints

Andy Hilven
03-01-2005, 11:17 AM
hey

Since a month or so I have a shin pain, left leg, after running. About 2,5 weeks ago it was so bad, the pain was hardly bareable with every step I took. I've run only 3 times since, though the pain wasn't that bad anymore.
Only since friday the pain has not gone away, when I'm only just walking , climbing stairs, etc...
The problem is that resting is not an option, cause I have to run a lot in academy, and am being evaluated. Besides, I wonder if the pain wouldn't return after resting.
Does anyone has experience with it?

Frank C Ollis
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Andy,
Focus on stretching it out from all angles, ice it, ibuprofin, and rest it when you can. I finished the last half of boot camp with shin splints, it just becomes a situation of mind over matter. It is a pain injury, not a debilitating one, although I have heard it does become progressively more serious if left untreated.

Brian Hand
03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Heel striking was killing my shins, by working on switching to more of a mid foot landing they feel much better. Search the archives here for related discussions on the POSE technique, and maybe have a look at barefootrunning.org.

Andy Hilven
03-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Would support soles be a help, or doesn't it help once you are running with the pain?

John Dryden
03-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Andy - you may want to go to a podiatrist and get a pair of orthotics.
I had terrible shin spints on my inner shins, and orthotics cured them. Pronation can cause S.S., and orthotics will cure them.

Roger Harrell
03-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Once you are pretty recovered from the splints also do a bunch of conditioning of the anterior tibalis. This is an often neglected muscle that ends up disproportionately weak and can't handle the demands placed on it.

Stand on your heels on a step and lift your toes over and over. Work as wide a range as possible. Walk around on your heels lifting your toes hard with your legs tight.

Steve Shafley
03-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Roger's suggestion is really what worked best for me.

After I got out of high school I took up fairly long distance running and weights to fill the athletic void...this was pre-rugby, and shin splints were always there to a lesser or greater extent.

I got some Health For Life courses, one of them the calf course, and, since I didn't have a DARD, I'd do two legged and one legged reverse calf raises (I'd just call them "shins" in my training log). A few months after that, I realized that I no longer was getting shin splints as often, and when I did, they weren't nearly as severe.

As another bonus, strengthening the tibialis stabilized my ankles dramatically. During high school football, I'd get them taped before games, to avoid rolling them, but after tibialis work, this was never an issue during rugby games.

Also, I had the freaky "shin muscles" on the front that almost nobody has. Still do, despite not having worked on it regularly for years.

Mike Moore
03-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Andy - I know everyone means well with the replies, BUT.......you've gotta be sure you've got the right DX before proceeding with treatment. Percentage wise, it very well may be "shin splints", but depending on your training history it may be something more serious like a tibial stress fracture. I don't want to scare you, but this is one bad boy you don't wanna miss. Have you recently (4-6 weeks prior to the injury) started something new in your training - added running to your program, increased milage significantly, changed running surface, etc.? You've been having pain for at least a month.......maybe your body is telling you to get an xray (may need a bone scan too). OLD PROVERB: "Better to get an xray you didn't need than to need an xray you didn't get."

Andy Hilven
04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
sorry for the late response.
I'm going to let my injury examined by a good doctor experienced in sport related injuries. It could possibly be a stress fracture as I had one also caused by running on a bad surface, about 15 years ago (in my foot though).
Didn't change anything in my training for the last few months. Maybe it's my new shoes...
Just have to wait for the results.

Frank C Ollis
04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Roger,
They even have a plate loaded little machine at some gyms. The whole thing is maybe 18",12", by 12". You slide your foot into it and lift your toes. I used one in therapy.

Kenneth Urakawa
04-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Another thought--do some of your training barefoot. Forces your foot, ankle, etc. to stabilize much differently than with shoes on. You're only as strong as your weakest link...

Erik Reckdenwald
05-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Here is a neat trick that helps reduce the pain of shin splints that I learned from my college lacrosse coach. Take a tennis ball, put it on the ground and roll the ball of each foot over it. Put a good amount of pressure on it, but not all of your bodyweight. You should feel it breaking up some of the tightness and it should feel a lot better the next day. Worked for me many times.