PDA

View Full Version : Ankle injury/pain

Thayer Phelan
05-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi! I'm pretty new to CF, just in my second week. I haven't done a whole lot of free weight lifting, esp squats, thrusts, etc...and when I'm doing them, I'm getting a really horrible pain in my lateral left ankle. When I'm pressing up from the bottom of the squat it feels like the tendon is rolling/pinging forward into my ankle bone. Anyone else ever had anything like this before? Anyone know what I might be doing wrong with my lifting form that is contributing to this pain? Thanks for your help!

William Hunter
05-03-2005, 06:17 AM
From your description it sounds like the tendon you're referring to is from one of the peroneus muscles (there are 3). They run from just below the knee on the outside of your lower leg and they cross both in front of and behind your lateral malleolus (side ankle bony protrusion). To keep them in place, there are a couple of fibrous tunnels just below the ankle called the superior and inferior retinaculum. Their job is to keep the tendons from popping over bone. If you've ever sprained your left ankle, you might have damaged these structures. The peroneii are also quite weak in many cases. They can be strengthened by practicing one-legged stands. Progressions would include closing your eyes, or using a wobble board.

If you can't rehab it yourself, you may need to consult with a PT or orthopedist.

I've never had this problem, but maybe others that have will share what worked for them.

Hope this helps.

Thayer Phelan
05-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I have sprained the ankle before, and did a lot of rehab at the time, but that was about 2 years ago. I'll try doing more 1 leg stands, as i don't have a wobble board.
Thanks again!