PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit, rehab, and lotsa busted bones

Kalen Meine
05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
This past Sunday morning, on the way to an early morning party (an after-prom, actually) the car I was driving, holding me and my date, was broadsided by a car going 55. I got out with a broken right clavicle and lacerated face and eyes, she broke her sacrum in two places and is having surgery to get it screwed together later today. While I'm definitely a newbie, I have already seen major improvements in my joints and general health, and while neither of us will be doing Fran for quite some time, I wanted to trawl for everyone's thoughts on the utility of CF-style movements and such in rehab.Thoughts on useful rehab gear, exercises, routines, advice on what can still be trained/needs special attention for both types of injuries, just as a brainstorming session to get us both functional again. While we'll both be spending time with "orthopods," I thought I'd put out a call for anecdotes about "CrossRehab" here.

Lincoln Brigham
05-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about that!

Keep moving. Movement increases blood flow, blood flow speeds healing. Move whatever doesn't hurt, move it in natural, functional ways.

Greg Glassman made a quote (which I will butcher and misquote here) something to the effect that, "Crossfit will rehab better than rehab." (That is, of course, assuming you scale the workouts down to your level of injury.) An interesting thought.

Ben Krey
05-02-2005, 03:58 PM
I second what Lincoln said. Go easy on the fractures for sure, but proper motion will help the body to adapt and heal more appropriately. If your goal is to remain functional, what better thing to do than functional movements?

William Hunter
05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
That's a terribly unfortunate turn of events for you and your date.

If you don't subscribe to the Journal, this month's issue just came out and couldn't be more relevant to your situation. Coach wrote a great article about rehab. Basically, you will have to stop training upper body movements for a while, but you can train other areas with more diligence. Instead of losing ground from a fitness perspective, you can push new gains in lower body and perhaps core.

Good luck!

Kalen Meine
05-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the early responses- and I'm afraid I haven't invested in the CFJ- but what would count as isolating the upper body. Would one-arm work be a good choice? What about my "co-injuree's" pelvis?- I'll be fine, but I want to know what might be appropriate aid for her. And has anyone else done this before? Cheers.

William Hunter
05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Sorry if I didn't make that clear. While your clavicle heals, you could push hard on your Tabata squat score, work pistols etc. Perhaps sit-ups and hollow rocks as well (certainly no L-sits). Your girlfriend is probably in a tougher situation. Maybe she could work pushups and dead hang pullups. When you guys heal, you'll have some catching up to do with your injury site areas, but you could be stronger in other areas.

I think one of the main points Coach was making was to turn this disadvantage into an opportunity to improve in other areas.

Pat Janes
05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
As William hints, you really should grab a copy of this month's Journal, Kalen. $5 and it's yours.

Basically, you want to rest what's broken (work with your doctors to figure out what you can't do), but everything else is fair game. Use the downtime from the WOD as written, to focus on other areas.

Turn your limitations into strengths.

In your case, one armed work is great (the degree to which you can isolate your injured clavicle is something you'll have to figure out).

Isolating an injured pelvis could be more tricky, right smack bang in the middle of your core, so it's involved in most movements. However many purely upper body, gymnastic movements are still possible.

Just try to mix it up as much as possible and get that copy of the Journal.

Michael Keller
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I'll second the purchase of this month's journal. Lot's of valuable info there for you during the rehab.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it turned out to be, and that you will heal up in time.

Lynne Pitts
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Looks like Injuries is the place for this. Hope you guys heal up fast!

Kalen Meine
05-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Oh yeah...there's an "injuries" section...my bad. Should try reading the headers. Reading hasn't been a strong suit lately. Gonna give the Tabatas and one-arms a shot here. Her surgery came off without a hitch- she'll be functional. In the long run, are movements like squats and swings (at fantastically low intensities) a good choice for restoring ROM and support, or is something like band work and isometrics more in line?