PDA

View Full Version : Recent rotator cuff surgery

David Lee Wilson
05-16-2005, 05:50 AM
I just found out about crossfit and would like to start soon. However, I am 4 months out from my third rotator cuff repair and can't do many of the exercise yet. I cannot do any pushups, press movements, overhead work, etc. How do I substitute these exercises when they are part of the daily workout? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
drsd9

Edward Conover
05-16-2005, 12:54 PM
David,

If you are four month out is there a reason why the rotator cuff has not healed back together? My understanding is that it takes six to eight weeks for the cuff to 'knit'.

If it healed then when you say you can't do pushups, presses etc.. do you mean at all or at the weight listed on the WOD? Can you do push ups against a washing machine? Can you shoulder press no weight?.. a can of soup?... five pounds?... I'm all about soup can thrusters.

I'm currently four weeks post op on a rotator cuff repair. My workouts eliminate that arm, today I did the following:

Three rounds for time:
20 one armed thrusters w/ 25lb dumbbell
400m one armed row

But this will only last for several weeks more untill the doc says the cuff has healed. Then it will be all about lightining the load and gradualy incresing it until I'm back to where I can do the WOD as perscribed.

If, on the other hand, there is some other factor limiting your use of that arm then work around it... come on over and we'll both work on our one-legged squats.

Hope this helps,

Ed