PDA

View Full Version : Biiiiiiig Crash

Karl Steadman
04-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Ok, need a little help here.....

Picture the scene....

Blasting down a rocky path in -1 degrees, rain and fog in the middle of Wales (idylic, i know). I fly off a little drop off only to see my front wheel get enveloped in a rather spiffing mud puddle (little britishism just for you Ron)! My bike goes from about 30mph to 0mph in 0.0 secs and i fly through the air with all the grace of an elephant on a trampoline?? (it'll do as an image). I land on several big rocks and obliterate my lid on impact, dislocate my right shoulder and smash my left knee/elbow...

I know what you are thinking....WHAT A CRASH! You're not wrong, once my mate had stopped wetting himself with laughter, the first thing he did was to take a picture of my bike which was resting vertically in the mud pool.....then ask if i was ok!:rofl:

Anyhoo......everything else is about bearable, but my shoulder is a bit on the sore side! It popped in and out pretty quickly though and my friend even said he heard a pop, but then that could've been the noggin on the rock!

Any advice on how to rehab this SOB would be appreciated. Tried some thrusters this morning and it felt weird/sore/loose etc.

What do i do?????

Ta very much in advance!

Matt Gagliardi
04-18-2005, 03:08 AM
Highside. I hate when that happens (I ride too...R1).

If you truly dislocated your shoulder, I'm not sure that I'd be doing much with it for at least a couple of weeks beyond ROM exercises and gentle stretching.

Karl Steadman
04-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Yeah it sucked, but was kinda fun too!

I know it, i'm odd!

Cheers Matt, the doc said the joint had sub laxed or summink like that mometarily, but it had done enough to cause a bit of ligament damage. Guess it'll be internal and external rotations for me til the bloody thing heals up! Any idea on downtime while you're there Matt?

Don Stevenson
04-18-2005, 04:53 AM
I had a big high sider last year on a mountain bike trip.

Split my helmet from front to rear and took a lot of skin off.

Here is a link to some pictures on one of the cycling forums

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t194004-.html

Hope you get better soon Karl!

Matt Gagliardi
04-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Karl...a lot depends on you and how quickly you tend to heal. Watch the diet, get good rest/sleep. Do the exercises your doc recommended. The fact that you subluxed rather than a fully dislocated is a godsend...basically you've just managed to stretch the joint out (in a rather radical manner). You want to give it some time to tighten back up.

There's no way to put a firm date on it. You'll pretty much have to do it by feel.

Karl Steadman
04-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Ok Matt, thanks for the info mate!

I'll still do the wod i reckon, but just really ease off on anything through the shoulder.....erm, so that's everything then!

Karl Steadman
04-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the good wishes Don!

Nice smash by the way......cool battle damage!

Ron Nelson
04-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Good show me old son!! Spiffing mud puddle!! Blimey, what Wales won't do to injure a poor Englishman!! Rather sporting of you to post the awful truth, but a picture of the bike would have been just tea and crumpets!

As for the shouler, can't tell you anything more helpful than what Matt has said. My only shoulder injury came 20 years ago after fallig off a balcony in Cabo San Lucas, Mex. (I may have been drinking that day, not sure)I actually popped the head of the humerous bone out of the socket. Took about 6 months to get ROM back and about 10 years to build any strength in the joint after that. You injury is much less severe, or so it would seem. Work on lower body stuff and ROM with the shoulder until better. Give it some time, Bob's your uncle, you're back at it!

Best of luck! Heal quickly! Don't knacker yourself out!

Matt Gagliardi
04-18-2005, 10:19 AM
One thing I will say that's definite about shoulder injuries is this...make sure you're feeling comfortable with it (in terms of "yes, it's ready") before you get back at it 100%. Not letting it heal up is an invitation to always having lingering issues with it.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

Karl Steadman
04-18-2005, 10:25 AM
I know Matt, i'm not gonna sue ya pal!:proud:

I value your opinion as an athlete and as one hardcore SOB. Any advice anyone posts on this website holds a lot of sway with me btw....

Ron.....that's just capital of you to say so old bean! I might just add that one was particularly miffed at binging my bike more so than absolutely shagging my elbow! :lol:

Wonder if anyone talks like that? Every Brit i see in films is always the bad guy and has a really funny accent, like we all speak like the queen!

Ron Nelson
04-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey Karl!
I listen to Steve Jones (former guitarist for the Sex Pistols) everyday on the radio (here from 12-2 pm and repeated at 6-7 pm every weekday) and he uses all the great Cockney slangs!!
You know, he's right funny, he is!! You can hear him on the internet at: www.indie1031.fm (http://www.indie1031.fm)

Karl Steadman
04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Ron,

I seriously recommend the 'Profanisaurus' published by the magazine editors of a mag called VIZ over here! Basically a dictionary of everything you could imagine. Basically rude and stuff, but i can't read more than half a page without bursting out laughing.....seriously dude, you'd love it!

Peter Galloway
04-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah, love that profanisaurus!

Ron, I read an interview/feature on Steve Jones and his radio show, sounds like it's a beacon of quality amongst the other rubbish that fills the airwaves over there (don't worry, it's exactly the same over here!)

Glad to hear he's doing well for himself!

What was the the topic again...?