PDA

View Full Version : Meniscus tear, in the knee area

Steven Stackpole
04-06-2005, 10:31 AM
I first started noticing pain in my knee, last friday, roughly after the WOD of dumbell burpee, HSC thrusters.
I managed to suck it up through every WOD until today, when I was finally able to get a Physio. appt.
Physio. says its a torn meniscus, in the front of my knee, likely brought on by the pressure of doing full depth squats. I know some of you will jump all over his idea, that its from "full depth" squats, but tell me what you think. If you have ever had the problem before, what may have helped it, how long it took to heal.
Steveo

Patrick Walsh
04-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I won't coment on what caused your torn meniscus (because I have no idea), but I just had 3 friends tear theirs.

One of them did it performing a turkish getup, the other two did it playing soccer. They each had surgery to fix the tear.

The guy that tore it doing the TGU is still recovering from his surgery 2 months or so ago. He had his leg immobilized for a month. The other two friends were playing soccer and climbing a few weeks after the surgery.

Hopefully you don't need surgery, but if you do hopefully recovery won't be too bad.

Grady McDonald
04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Have you had an MRI? I would say it is worth a scope to figure out what kind of tear, how significant, ligament damage, etc.

I tore mine four months ago in jiu jitsu and was able to lay off of it and work my way back into hard squats, oly lifting, but didn't go back to jj, freaked me out. 2 weeks ago I was coming out of the hole on a snatch, (already did 1RM C&J's) knee canted in, sound of knuckles cracking from my knee. Dropped weight, grabbed knee, spiritual Hiroshima. COuldn't extend it, had surgery 9 days later.

I just got out of surgery. I ripped the crap out an already torn left meniscus. A repaired meniscus means crutches/immobilized for month, hopefully 90 deg ROM by wk 8. But doc says if I'm disciplined w/ recovery by the new year I'll only remember the surgery from the scars. I'm young enough (29) where a good surgery now was worth it. If you get it shaved off/removed, recovery is weeks instead of months. But you are at a much higher risk for arthritis down the road.

When going deep on squats and not recruiting the hamstrings, it's not good. Tons of pressure on the knees. You notice when folks just slam down in the hole an bounce up, you can see when someone's not using the hammies. Also when going deep, you have to keep you knees over the toes, a cant in is what broke mine, (along with not getting an MRI early on) The only thing that heals a meniscus is rest. The cartilidge must repair by not being stressed.

Recommend MRI. Suture: Longer to heal, better off in the long run for normal activity.
Shave: SHorter recover, less cartilidge, more risk for arthritis. There's lots of info on line, surgery is VERY common and success depends on attitude, discpline, diet, keeping the rest of your body rocked (ring dips, Muscle ups, presses, dumbells, pullups, back ext, situps)

Steven Stackpole
04-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Grady
Thanks tons for the info!

Man, I dont know whats up. I see the Physio., he tells me "torn meniscus, 3 to 4 mos. of physio, and possibly surgery"
Cool.
I lay off it for a couple days, go easy, load up on extra strength pain killers, cause at this point I couldnt walk.
Within a week it was back to 100%.
This was the first time I had met with this physio, but I have had great luck with different Physio's in the past.
I do also know that I am a fast healer. After an operation to repair a herniated disc, I was back doing stupid things within 10 days. So at this point its just a wait and see thing. Otherwise, though, yes an MRI will def be in order.
Thanks