PDA

View Full Version : Wiped out from Linda...

Chris Forbis
04-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Had some time away from frequent WODing. Jumped back in on Linda on Wednesday, besting my old PR by two minutes. That night, I couldn't get to sleep (I work out at 5am... so this was 15 hours later). It felt like my blood pressure was outlandishly high. Even last night (a full 39 hours later) I had some difficulty getting to sleep, though it wasn't as bad. Last night could have been food though, as I had a crap dinner (ie fast food).

Is extended elevated blood pressure not uncommon when taking on a workout that your body isn't quite prepared to handle?

And I'm just guessing when I say that it was high BP. Being a whipper-snapper in good health, I've never had issues with high BP. I'm just guessing that the way I felt was how having high BP would feel.

Daniel Overvoll
04-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Chris, next time stop by Walmart and use the free BP machine!

Does anyone else take the time after a really tough workout to decompress with a steam, etc.?

Dan Silver
04-23-2005, 02:30 AM
Chris,

Not that I doubt you but when you say you feel like your blood pressure was outlandishly high, what exactly are the symptoms that make you feel that way? Normal symptoms of a hypertensive crisis (dangerously high BP), or near crisis (getting do be dangerously high BP), are dizziness, visual disturbances, nausea, general malaise, syncope or near sycopal episodes (passing out or almost passing out) and a pounding headache.

Until you reach that point, however, one's blood pressure rarely causes symptoms of anykind, unless it's at the polar opposite of the spectrum (ie- really low).

I have heard of some power lifters who have had to stop power lifting due to acute hypertensive emergencies brought about by the full-body strain of their movements. However, these cases have alot to do with genetics and are few and far between. One's blood pressure will increase slightly with strenuous exercise but rarely will it reach hazardous levels.

If you are terribly worried about your blood pressure, as stated before, have it checked. Those machines at the drug store work fine, or you can get your own cuff and have a buddy do it for you. The palpated blood pressure takes about thirty seconds to learn. I'm more than happy to guide you through the process.

But really, don't sweat it that much. If anything is responsible for your sleep disorder that day it's the anxiety you were having about your blood pressure being high. You are a young, healthy man but seeing your MD once in a while should help set your mind at ease.

Have a brew. Watch some cartoons. Be one with the mel.

-D.

Ben Kaminski
04-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Blood pressure machines are cheap and accurate. I have one just to check my BP whenever I get the urge.

Chris Forbis
04-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Basically, it felt like my body was all jazzed up for a workout... except my heart rate wasn't accelerated much at all. Laying on my side to sleep, I could feel every heartbeat. I had no reason to be geared up for anything. I was following my standard bedtime routine (which typically results in my getting to sleep within 10 minutes of hitting the pillow).

Just speculation on my part. Not worried about longterm effects, as I feel this was an isolated event, and was just wondering if it was related to my date with Linda.

Steven Stackpole
04-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Chris
This wont help you at all, but are just my own observations of how my body reacted after Linda.
Since starting Crossfit almost 4 mos ago, I have raised my 1 rep max for bench, and deadlift to over 325 and 450 respectively.
This most recent Linda was my second time at it. AT 90 minutes, it was admittedly a slow time, but still 30 minutes faster than the first one.
Linda was Wednesday I believe.
Thursdays WOD felt particularly slow and heavy for me, even with skipping the "L" pull-ups, because of sore elbows.
Fridays WOD was to practice walking on hands.
Well, I thought I would throw around a few weights also. Was I ever in for a surprise.
After dragging myself through what would have normally been a more than sufficient warm-up I got under the bar to do a few sets of BP. I think I managed to squeeze out 2 reps of bodyweight bench. All the while I was hoping that nobody was watching the pathetic display, but also hoping someone was standing closeby to take this damn bar off of my throat, cuz thats where it was headed pretty quickly.
So, I had my *** handed to me.
Hoping for some redemption, I climbed under the squat rack. Same thing, what normally would have been a moderate warm-up weight, went down, but never came up. Its a damn good thing I had set the sissy bars at the proper height, cuz once again I suffered nothing more than a bruised ego. I simply crawled out from under the bar, looking like a total wanker.

It took me some time, and some positive self-talk, before I finally realized that doing 55 reps of 390lbs on DL, 260lbs on bench, and 195lbs on the clean, all in the space of 90, minutes simply overloaded my system so heavily, that it would take a few days to recover. There is no way, prior to starting crossfit, that I would have imagined that as a safe and manageable session in the gym. I simply didnt have the experience or depth of knowledge.
What does this have to do with your BP, nothing I guess.
But you are a young healthy lad, with no known pre-existing conditions I guess. So try not to lose too much sleep over it. Perhaps, mark your symptoms down some where, say, in your log book, so that should they appear again, you might make some correlation between them.

Steveo