PDA

View Full Version : Blisters

Daniel Overvoll
04-21-2005, 02:17 PM
My hands were fried from yesterdays DL's - the bar had some pretty aggressive curling. Don't really want to wear gloves, and I just keep ripping the old calluses off when I DL. Any suggestions?

Steven Stackpole
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Don't laugh Dan!!

Krazy Glue

Sounds stupid, works great. Hospitals often use something similar to patch up minor cuts, particularly on children, rather than stitches.
I hae used it regularly over the years, as have many climbers and others, give it a try!!!

Steveo

Veronica Carpenter
04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
athletic tape until it heals. Use 1" tape and do a complete wrap around the hand. If that doesn't cover the tears, rip the 1" in half lengthwise and wrap the piece from the side -- ah heck just look at the pic... below

Veronica Carpenter
04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
wrap the tears like this...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/9562.jpg

then wrap the 1" tape completely around your hand twice.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/9563.jpg

Dan Silver
04-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Dan O.-

You could just try using some lotion.

What? Oh, grow up.

-D.

Larry Lindenman
04-22-2005, 05:02 AM
File down calluses so they are flat. You could get a file for that in a drug store. Prevention is better than cure.

Frank C Ollis
04-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Daniel,
Be ready for the fire when you use the glue. It hurts like hell.

Donald Woodson
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Might be a good idea to make sure the glue is dry before you grab the bar too.
That could make for a very embarassing 911 call. I could just see myself carrying my loaded bar upstairs, knocking the phone over and dialing with my tongue. :lame:

Laura Rucker
04-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I am so bookmarking this thread...I have major callous/blisters happening due to pull ups. I bought some gloves but forgot to put them on for Cindy last night!

Krazy Glue - Sounds stupid, works great.
I hae used it regularly over the years, as have many climbers and others, give it a try!!!

Steveo

Steve, we recently had to take my 4 yr old to the emergency room where they glued his 1" cut over the eye. The NP was very ademant about not calling it SUPER GLUE so that he wouldn't go glueing his own cuts together! I see she was right but that danger doesn't go away with time! LOL

Lincoln Brigham
04-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah, it's more job security if they don't call it "Super Glue". But that's basically what it is...

Gloves, schmoves. If Veronica doesn't need gloves, neither do you.

An enhancement to Veronica's method of taping is to use a piece of tape so long that it goes to the wrist. Take 12-16" of athletic tape and poke a hole in the middle. Put finger through the hole, then wrap the wrist to secure the tag ends. Lasts long time.

Laura Rucker
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Gloves, schmoves. If Veronica doesn't need gloves, neither do you.

lol. I'm no Veronica! Part of my problem is I race into Crossfit class sometimes 5 or 10 minutes late and taping ain't gonna happen. Maybe if I just tape up at lunch time, no one will mess with me at work and I'll be ready for pull ups and deads when I walk in the door of BX. ;)

Donald Woodson
04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
LOL. Laura, add some Everlast trunks and a nice black mouthpiece and your ready for that evaluation interview.

Laura Rucker
04-22-2005, 11:15 AM
*makes note*

Sounds like a plan, Donald!!

Ron Nelson
04-22-2005, 11:32 AM
That Don! Pole dancing and tongue dialing. Is there nothing the man can't do????

We finally get pictures of Veronica and they're of her hands!!! What a gyp!!
Is it me, or does this thread go hand-in-hand with the "Elbow Pain" thread???
Man, I love the injury threads!

Daniel Overvoll
04-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I waited a whole day to look at the responses. Can't believe how minimal the carnage was....
To Steve, Veronica Larry and Lincoln - thanks for the solutions!
To Dan S. - thanks for not disappointing me!
Donald - good advice - sounds like something I might have done.

Cathy Chiba
04-22-2005, 03:40 PM
ooh, cool, blisters. and calluses.

great ideas -- tho i dunno about gluing my calluses back on -- don't really want them back when they decide to leave.

i have similar problems because i tend to form calluses easily, and they are *always* getting thick and ripping off. I pretty much have to hack off the ones on my feet with nail clippers, and I don't go barefoot. Plus the little guys form "hot spots" on my feet and hands all the time -- very distracting. I solved the old calluses-from-my-bike problem by wearing bike gloves, but now I've been avoiding gloves w/lifting because, well, you know why.

so, any tips on preventing/minimizing calluses in the first place, if you're trying to avoid gloves? I'm allergic to athletic tape, so even if taping also prevents calluses, I wouldn't do it. does chalking up help? lotion? or should i just suck it up and make Mr. Pumice my new best friend?

Lincoln Brigham
04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Yep, pumice or sand paper. 220 grit makes your hands nice and soft, no kidding!

Cathy Chiba
04-22-2005, 04:52 PM
ah well. *sigh!*. guess I better get to work, then!

Veronica Carpenter
04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
a good ole razor works for me. Just resign yourself to the fact that if you lift lots of weights you'll get lots of callouses - no more baby soft skin. Oh well.

Oh, look to the left, see my pic?! :wink:

Larry Lindenman
04-23-2005, 08:54 AM
NO GLOVES...I've heard gloves decrease neural drive by depriving the nerves in the hands from feeling the bar. Don't know if it's true, or what it really means, but it shuts up glove wearing advocates when you say it with authority. Don't have time to dig up any studies.

Laura Rucker
04-23-2005, 05:40 PM
but it shuts up glove wearing advocates when you say it with authority.

hehe. Ok, larry you win.

....but wouldn't TAPING do the same thing?:crazy:...decrease neural drive, not shut up the glove wearing advocates.

Larry Lindenman
04-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Only tape when you have rips and your neural drive should be fine. More of a tape because if I didn't I'd cry thing; than a tape because I want my palms to feel soft thing.

Laura Rucker
04-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Gotcha. Right now I haven't had a really painful problem except for the time my callouses tore while I doing Knees to Elbows after doing a lot of pull ups the day before.

John S. Powell
04-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey all, thanks for the taping methods. I ripped a callous off my right hand, pretty deep, and had been searching a good way to tape it. Did one pullup workout w/o tape, and decided that blood-red was not the ideal color for my floor and walls. Went with the tape after that.

Donald Woodson
04-26-2005, 06:09 AM
I only seem to have a callous ripping problem on the padd closest my wedding ring. For some reason that callous builds up and rips a lot more than the others and I have to keep sanding it down. If I take my ring off for working out, I'm likely to forget to put it back on, and I'll hear about it, so I just don't take it off.