PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine for joint problems

Steven Stackpole
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Anyone have any experience with GNC's(or any other brand for that matter) brand of Glucosamine/Chondroitin for chronic joint pain in the elbows and shoulders?
Steveo

John Phipps
03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
I have been taking Glucosamine (1.5g), Chondroitin (1.5g) & MSM (250 mg) made by NATROL for a month or so after my knee was hurting from too much running. I got it at Walgeens on a two for one sale. I am feeling better but I am not so sure its due to the pills. I am not planning to get any more when these are gone.

Keith Wittenstein
03-31-2005, 07:23 PM
The best thing I took was something called Joint Support that I had to consume 5 pills at a time 3x day. They worked well, but it lasted a week and was really expensive. I take some generic Glucosamine/chondroitin blend that's okay. 3x day.

Jay Ashman
04-01-2005, 03:00 AM
I've always liked that GLC 2000. You may have seen them advertised on the front page of Powerlifting USA for the past thrity eons or so.

I bought it after looking at that ad thinking it was worth a shot for a joint product and I think it is the best product, of its kind, on the market.

Steve Shafley
04-01-2005, 05:51 AM
Powdered stuff always worked best for me, despite the potential problems with taste.

MSM at high doses coupled with more moderate doses of glucosamine is what I like.

Brian Hand
04-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Steven, I don't worry about the brand, there is plenty of good glucosamine on the market. I have no reason to believe any brand is better than another. I usually buy Now brand, Now is a reputable company with good prices.

Keep in mind that glucosamine and chondroitin are mainly for arthritis / cartilage problems. Is that where your shoulder and elbow pain is coming from?

Steven Stackpole
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey Brian
My joint pain is not from arthritis. Physio says its related to overuse/golfers elbow. I ice my elbows regularly. This works temporarily, but the moment I grab the bar for a pull-up, I'm back to square one.
Steveo

Donald Woodson
04-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Aha!
Go to a med supply store and pick up an arm band, such as this:
http://www.devinemedical.us/geteelarmba.html
Properly placed it applies pressure to your tendons, separating them and stopping them from rubbing together.

Steve Shafley
04-01-2005, 08:16 AM
A few ideas:

Get some elbow sleeves to keep them warm.

Use assorted grips on pullups (and other exercises). Typically everyone does everything with the palms facing away from the body...benching, chinning, lat pulldowns, even squatting. Training using different grips can help this sometimes.

Brian Hand
04-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Steveo, the MSM Steve mentioned could help, I'd look into that. Did the physio give you any strengthening exercises? Also, some soft tissue treatment like Active Release might help get things right.

Steven Stackpole
04-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Don,
I'lll look into an armband.
Steve,
I always vary my grip on pull-up related exercises.
Brian
I have done some active release, and have been given some strengthening exercises, but obviously dont do them often enough
Steveo

William Hunter
04-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Medial or lateral epicondylitis is going to be very stubborn to heal as long as Crossfit style workouts are still being done. Hate to say it, but a break from gripping exercises combined with treatment may be where you're headed. Hope I'm wrong.

Steve Shafley
04-03-2005, 04:19 PM
DMSO can provide some relief as well. Be prepared for the infamous DMSO breath and for some irritation at the application site, at least initially.