PDA

View Full Version : Iliotibial Band Syndrome

Mike Donnelly
04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

As a lifelong runner, it's killing me not to be able to run. I even had to sub rowing for the last 400m in today's WOD as my iliotibial band became too inflamed during the 4th 400. It's a killer.

I never had problems until 5 years ago, when I went for an 8 mile run through snowy trails. I guess the uneveness really rubbed my ITB against my knee, and running has been painful and mostly limited since. This is five years.

I've tried stretching, icing, compression bands, Pose running, orthotics, different shoes, AI stretching, foam rollers, massage, trigger release, and varying surfaces. I've even varied tempo (nothing over 200m for a month) in the hopes that faster or slower running may alleviate any technique problems. I've focused on hip abductor/adductor excercises, as well as a range of lifting routines. I took a shot of cortisone in December, but that also had very limited effectiveness.

There are days when nothing more than a walk down the hallway will make my left ITB feel tight.

I just set up 7th appointment with a sports orthopedist.

Wondering if anyone here has had similar problems and hopefully solutions. Running is such a central activity (and a formerly enjoyable activity for me) that I don't want to skip it every time it comes up.

Many Thanks,

Mike Donnelly

Matthew Albanese
04-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Hey Mike, just my $.02 here. I'm not a runner, but my IT bands tighten up a great deal, especially after kicking-intensive MA workouts. Started to develop Patellofemoral syndrome as a result. One exercise my therapist had me do which seemed to help a lot was doing hip abduction while keeping my shoulders, back, and butt flat against the wall. I had done abduction before, but not like this, and thus it had not been effective. Doing the abduction this way, sliding the heal against the wall and focusing on keeping the toes turned out really seems to better emphasize/isolate the gluteus medius. From what I understand, a lot of problems with the IT band revolve around having weak glute meds and VMOs. When you strengthen the glute med and VMO, they're able to take more of the stress off the IT band.

Pat Janes
04-07-2005, 03:35 PM
I feel your pain, Mike.

I've not got any particularly useful advice, as I still suffer from ITBS with anything more than about a 2km run.

I was kinda hoping that 'Pose' would help me, but your experiences tend to indicate that it might not.

I'm going to slowly build back up to longer distances, working with 'Pose', or at the very least mid-foot striking, because I'm sick of not being able to walk for 2 days after a long run.

Sonia Ng
04-07-2005, 08:18 PM
How do you warm-up/cool-down for running?

Karl Steadman
04-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Mike,

I'm with ya pal, mine are pretty screwed. I'm not great at this computer melarkey, but on this section there should be a post from Steve Shafley on knee re-hab exercises. On it is a great article from a Navy Seal website showing how to manually release the tension within, amongst other things, the ITB!

Really worked for me.

In addition i have found getting my arse to grass as often as possible with squats seems to keep the pain at bay? When mine locked out once, i had acupuncture at their insertion at the knee. A combo of all the above i guess has stopped them from being an issue since....

Hope this helps...

Mike Donnelly
04-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll try (and thought I'd tried) anything.

Pat- Don't give up on POSE. I'm very new to it and just going through the drills now. I wouldn't blame my problems on that.

Sonia- Warmup is an all day affair. I go through a 45 minute Active-Isolative stretch routine in the morning, make sure I do every targeted stretch throughout the course of the day, drink water galore, and do a whole-body warmup routine that I got from Core Performance. Cool-down consists of ice (when inflamed), then heat, more stretching, and the foam roller.

Matt & Karl- Thanks for the advice. I'll do a search and incorporate the flat-back leg raises into my routine. Right now, it takes five times as long to prep for a 5K than it does to fun one.

Mike Donnelly

Michael Pearce
04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't have the video or book on Pose but what I have learned and put into practice seems to have gotten rid of any problems I had with my ITB. Also here is a good exercise I found for ITB:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/runners-knee.html

I have been doing this exercise before I run and have found it works very well.

Sonia Ng
04-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Mike. Excellent,disciplined regimen-how long have you been doing this & how long did you pursue the POSE technique?

Before any run-do you walk briskly?(@ 5-10 min -approaching @4 mph). I'm guessing you do.

Have you had any injuries to your ankles,feet,or back? Any ongoing tension in your neck?

Any experience with deep tissue-massage,perhaps even acupuncture? (results vary)

Thanks.