PDA

View Full Version : Funky shoulder

Ted Williams
04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure where I should put this, as I don't know if it is an injury or not.

I was just doing the WOD for today, and noticed that my right shoulder does something funky on the way down from a pullup. At least on the L pullups. I've never noticed it on other types.

Right after my forearm and upper arm get past 90 degrees, closer to 120 degrees (if that makes sense) my right shoulder starts to roll forward. My left shoulder stays pretty much in line, but my right, from 120 on, does this roll thing.

I've had an odd pain in my shoulder area in the past. When I was in training for my job I saw a doc on base that said it was likely some sort of muscle tear...and it went away pretty quickly.

Is this a normal thing? Am I doing something wrong that needs to be corrected?

Thanks,

Ted

William Hunter
04-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Ted, as a guess it sounds like it could be some weakness in your rotator cuff. Its primary purpose is to keep the head of your humerus compressed into the glenoid fossa, no matter what you are attempting to do with your shoulder. If you've had previous injuries to the shoulder, you may have a lingering weakness. You may also have hurt your glenoid labrum, a cartilaginous lip around the fossa that makes the shoulder a little bit more of a true ball and socket joint (it's more like a golf ball on a tee, so the shoulder is more inherently unstable than your hip).

Rehab usually involves a lot of internal and external curls done with light weights and/or theraband/tubing/cables. A Google search should turn up some stuff. I usually advise performing RC rehab after normal exercise, so you don't fry the RC prior to heavier exertions.

Good Luck.

Ted Williams
04-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the help. Any recommendation on what sort of doctor to see to make sure of what's going on? I'm with the Kaeser, so who knows what they'd tell me.

Ted

William Hunter
04-05-2005, 03:19 PM
An orthopod is your best bet. It sounds like you're still functional, so he'll more than likely refer you to a PT to oversee rehab.

Ted Williams
04-06-2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I've had good luck getting the Kaiser to pay for PT...I'll give it a shot.

Ted

Frank C Ollis
04-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Ted,
I love that picture man.

"Tilting at Windmills" with Don Quixote?

Ted Williams
04-10-2005, 09:53 AM
:proud:

"Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams—this may be madness...and maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."

Ted Williams
04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh ok, found the pain real bad again. In a way, it was good because I can now say it was during a certain motion...not like before when it was more general.

I was doing the FGB today, and the Push Press was ok...till the 1st round, 3rd rep....SHOOTING pain in my right shoulder. That movement magnified the pain really bad. Once I switched to dumb bells instead of a bar for them (and lighter weight) they were fine (hand rotation in there too)...

The pain is in the deltoid (I do believe...m. deltoideus from the chart online)...

I'm going to schedule a doctor's visit next week.

Ted

William Hunter
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Frank C Ollis
04-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Ted,
Good decision bro. Why risk a more severe injury that could sideline you for a long time. I have noticed that a hurt shoulder, or a hip injury kill your CrossFit game in a hurry.

Ron Nelson
04-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Testify!!