PDA

View Full Version : Painkillers

Alexander Karatis
04-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Do you guys every use them just to push through a WOD while sore? If so, would you reccomend any specific ones?

Frank C Ollis
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Alexander,
I take the hard line approach that pain is your bodies way of talking to you, and you should listen. I especially stay away from anything prescription.

Now I have been known to take Naproxyn after some brutal MMA training sessions, to help with soreness and swelling.

Matt Gagliardi
04-12-2005, 02:22 PM
No way...I don't dig pills. Like Frank said, pain is your body's way of telling you something isn't right.

You need to learn to differentiate between soreness/pain and injury. Painkillers aren't going to help you do that.

William Hunter
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Taking pain killers in this situation is like blowing through a stop sign in your car. They're there for a reason.

There are also side effects including gastric distress and impaired digestion.

Alexander Karatis
04-12-2005, 10:16 PM
That's what I thought. It's just that lately the way I bunched up my WODs together, I totally creamed my lower back and legs, and wasn't in the best possible condition to go on with a 3 on 1 off schedule. I prefer not taking brakes from my normal W/O schedule but this time it does seem like the more sensible thing to do.

When you're in a good roll, hitting new PRs all over the place and feeling stronger than ever, it's tough to take a break before performance really starts to dip. You know, it's like I know there are more PRs coming but I have to wait for them to come!

Frustrating!:angry::proud: Thanks for the tips guys!

Frank C Ollis
04-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Alexander,
Matt and I were talking about this just the other day. Sometimes when you step away, you come back better and stronger.

Except for Matt, whose recuperative powers are apparently a gift from God.

Beth Moscov
04-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Even Matt has to take a step back once in a while. I think he sometimes takes as much as ten minutes off when he needs extra recovery! :wink:

Matt Gagliardi
04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
As I've written before...I have the nervous system of a flatworm. Cut me in half and I just keep going (in fact, I re-grow both ends).

No higher brain function helps with the whole pain and recovery thing.

;)

William Hunter
04-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Pretty good vocabulary for a nematode :-)