PDA

View Full Version : Advisability of doing gymnastics with a ruptured ACL

Peter Galloway
03-16-2005, 08:53 AM
I have recently discovered a gymnastics club near me which runs an adult class. I am really keen to go along, but I'm wondering whether it is a good idea with a ruptured ACL (right knee). I'm waiting to have it repaired, but it could be a while before that happens. The knee is pretty stable, especially since I've started CrossFitting, but even so, lots of impact from landings is probably not a good idea. I am quite a big, heavy guy, (6'1, 220 lbs) which only adds to the stress that could be placed on the knee.

Anybody got any thoughts/experience as to the viability of practising gymnastics with a ruptured ACL?

Roger Harrell
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
There's a ton of gymnastics training that can be done without putting any load on your legs. Just be VERY aware, tell the coaches you have a ruptured ACL. No landings, etc.

Peter Galloway
03-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks Roger.

Michael Webert
03-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Having Had ACL surgery in November. (torn Playing rugby) All I can say is becareful with what you do as you are putting more stress on the other ligaments. My advice is to besure that you do not put your knee in compromise and try and get that leg as strong as you can before sugery. I will definately help with a speedy recovery.

Peter Galloway
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Hey Mike,

First of all, welcome to the board! Secondly, thanks for the advice. Coincidentally, I also ruptured my ACL playing Rugby! I have lived with it for about 5 years now, but have finally decided I want to play rugby again and so have set the wheels in motion to have it repaired. At the moment my leg strength is good, but with the help of CrossFit it should be much better by the time I go under the knife. Furthermore, I hope to have lost a few pounds by then to cut down on the stess being placed upon the knee.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. On the subject of the adult gymnastics class, apparently the structure of the class allows you to practise pretty much what you want, so it should be easy to avoid things which might cause damage to my knee. Unfortunately though, there's a three month waiting list to join, so it'll be a while yet before I can get stuck in!