PDA

View Full Version : For the boxers out there (knuckle injury)

Garry Berryhill
02-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Doc diagnosed a swollen tendon sheath near the distal end of my left ring metacarpal, dunno the exact terminology (failed anatomy). She prescribed rest, no punching of any kind, motrin for pain, etc. etc. This was three weeks (feels like months) ago and I still have some swelling and tenderness on the tendon sheath.

Any boxers, grapplers out there have experience with this? Am I just being impatient, or might have my doc misdiagnosed the injury? No fractures on the x-ray, but I get paranoid.

John Walsh
03-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes I have. Get it checked again before you start punching again. Find a good sports doc. Get some physical therapy or you will hurt your knuckle again.

This may seem like a no brainer but I'm always amazed. Always wrap and tape even if you're just banging the bag. Also get decent bag gloves.

In the meantime work on other aspects of your game like footwork, punches with your well hand, ect.

Frank C Ollis
03-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Garry,
Right now the mirror should be your best friend. Shadow box, work on slipping, circling, etc. When you get the ok to punch again, you will be much improved.

Definately get a second opinion. Call the local boxing coach and ask for a recomendation on a Dr.

Garry Berryhill
03-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Sorry to bump, but I had an injury update. Went back to the doc, where she went over the xrays again, found no fractures, no dislocation. My tendon sheath was still swollen and painful after over a month and I was (am) in some real hip pain thanks to a round on the erg in mid Feb.

She loaded me up with corticosteroids, said to keep in touch with some lab work. Think I'm going to hit up a chiro or D.O., too. Worried I might have torn some cartilage in there, but that might just be anxiety talking.

Anyone here have experience with with steroidal anti inflammatories? Is there anything I need to look out for that the average MD might have overlooked. They do their best, but it's public medicine and you get what you pay for.

Jeff Martin
03-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Garry, How much are you icing? I have had this injury and can tell you it takes a long time to heal.

Garry Berryhill
03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Icing is something I haven't been doing nearly enough of. On evenings when I irritate it lifting something or doing yardwork I'll ice it 20 on, 20 off for a couple hours, but nothing regular.

Guess I should make that a nightly ritual.