PDA

View Full Version : Hip Pain

Theron Mathis
03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Anyone had any experience with hip injuries or hip pain?

Veronica Carpenter
03-03-2005, 09:11 PM
hip pain yes, injuries no. Mine stem from an imbalance. Whether its a leg length issue of spine issue I'm not really sure, but with chiropractic adjustments I feel better and I don't squat lopsided. Could also be from having 4 kids! LOL

William Hunter
03-04-2005, 04:13 AM
Theron,

How about a little more info? Veronica makes great points. A full evaluation of the hips, SI joints, and lower lumbar spine would be a good idea. Muscle imbalances are prevalent. Some common ones are tight hip flexors, quadratus lumborum, rectus femoris, piriformis, and adductors (inner thigh) combined with weak gluteus minimus and medius. The hip joints get caught in the middle of this. Also, even a slight scoliotic curve can throw off the level of the hips.

Veronica, after seeing your picture, your Chiro must be very proud. I know I would be...

Theron Mathis
03-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Veronica may have hit on my problem. The pain feels almost like its in the joint on my right hip. It started 2 yrs ago when after months of long distance running. I stopped, but it still comes back periodically after heavy deads or squats or more running.

I guess a visit to a chiro could not hurt. Any ideas on how to find a good one.

William Hunter
03-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Theron,

You'll need to ask around. If you know anyone whose had sports injuries, they might have a name. IMHO, you should watch out for those that want to perform full-spine x-rays on the first visit, and put you on an extravagant care plan (3x a week forever...). They should be able to evaluate the biomechanics of your feet, even if they have never hurt. Muscle Length Assessments and strength assessments of the lumbo-pelvic and hip areas are a must, especially since you were a distance runner. Runner's tend to excel in creating muscle imbalances (I'm a reformed distance runner). Personally, I try to nail down, on the first or second visit, a couple of home stretches or exercises that the patient can begin immediately. If you've really screwed up your hip, you may be under care for a month or two.

Hope this helps.

Veronica Carpenter
03-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Theron, I'd try finding a good sports medicine doctor first. He referred my to some physical therapy. Both the physical therapy and the chiropractor have helped. Check your health insurance to see which is covered. The PT helped stretch out the tight SI and the chriropractor helped get my hip and spine in line. Some people don't believe it Chiro, but it has helped me. good luck!

robert brooks
03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
i to am having some problems with my hips..right at the front of the bone on both sides..when i am doing any type of squat such as todays wod. i have noticed a pain that develops right there..when i am done it does go away, the pain is not intense but i do know it is there, i know i should see a doc..just wanted to know if anyone else has experinced this..and one last thing..could this be caused by the full extension i get when i am coming up from the squat, i have noticed on the exercise page that some of the lifts call for your hips to open up...thanks for any help that anyone could give....

William Hunter
03-28-2005, 06:05 PM
robert,

you can check if it's caused by full extension by trying the samson stretch, which stretches the the psoas (primary hip flexor). It could also be the tensor fascia lata (TFL), which runs over that bone. It's similar to the ITB, but tends to involve the hip more.