PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal Post-Op Recovery

Billy Lusk
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I had a quite unexpected trip to the hospital on Sunday for very painful abdominal cramps. This turned out to be gall stones and inflammation of the pancreas. They removed my gall-bladder on Monday and everything is going well basic-recovery wise.

My big concern is now I have these three incisions positioned at 12, 6, and 9 o'clock which all go through the rectus abdominous area and I have no idea how an invasive procedure like I had will impact my abdominal muscles.

Does anybody have any good rehab strategies for abdominal recovery or have any ideas on recovery? I have a few weeks before I can really start doing anything, but I wanted to come up with a plan for healing and be smart about this recovery.

Dan Silver
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
This is a little more extensive of an injury then is usually noted on this board. Abdominal surgery is MAJOR surgery, despite what you may have been told. As they say, you should be walking the next day but you should make damn sure your wounds are fully closed and healed before you introduce any strenuous movements.

Your abs are going to be weaker, at least for a little while. I don't imagine any reason why you wouldn't have full strength back in time though, but this also depends on the type of surgery that was done and how smoothly it all went. Ideally your most major, noticable, side-effect (with the exception of some dietary changes) is going to be scars. Scars, at least in my opinion, are totally cool. If anybody asks you can always tell them you were in a fight with a bunch of ninjas while rescuing a beautiful maiden from a burning building.

-D.

Billy Lusk
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
"you can always tell them you were in a fight with a bunch of ninjas while rescuing a beautiful maiden from a burning building."

That’s EXACTLY what happened!! :-)

Fortunately the procedure was laparoscopic and not the old style slice and dice.

Dan Silver
03-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Damn ninjas.

-D.