PDA

View Full Version : TKEs for VMO activation (knee rehab/prehab0

Steve Shafley
03-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I stumbled on this about a week ago, and really like them.

TKE stands for terminal knee extensions. This is really just the last part of the extension movement. What makes it different from doing partials on the leg extension machine (which does a similar thing) follow:

Take a jumpstretch band. I use my heavy band. Attach it by looping it around a rack, a bed post, a pole or anything like that so it's a few inches above your knee.

Take the other end of the band, loop it around the back of your knee and back up to build tension. Now, bend at the knee (coming up on your toes or not, depending on what feels better) then lock out the knee. You will be pushing against the band at the back of the knee. Doing 25-50 reps really makes my quad around the knee burn, especially the VMO.

These TKEs done 3 times, coupled with bodyweight squats done for sets of 20-25 throughout the day, and rolling out the IT with a water filled ball and the PVC pipe have made my left knee, which I dinged two weeks ago doing push presses, of all things, feel much better and more stable.

I've also seen it suggested where you set up in this fashion and do step ups onto short boxes.

Just wanted to pass this along to those interested.

Brian Hand
03-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Steve, thanks for posting. I have tried the band TKEs as you describe and the short step ups with the box behind you. I'll have to try them together, very good idea. I think the short step-ups (step-backs?) got rid of occasional knee pain I'd get going down stairs.

Steve Shafley
03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
It's all kind of a crapshoot. I don't really have enough working knowledge of the knee to say why this works or why it might not. For me it seems to help, at least now. Chalk it up to me being lazy about research or the good ol' " BLACK BOX "}