PDA

View Full Version : High ankle sprain

Scott Kustes
03-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, at least I think it's considered a high ankle sprain (edit: not a high sprain because it was caused by the typical inward twist of the foot). The swelling and pain is right above the little bone that sticks out on the side of my right ankle. I landed on a guy's foot playing basketball earlier. The good news is that he changed his mind about shooting when I sky-ed on him...went to pass and turned it over. Haha...anyway, any advice other than ice and elevate? How high am I supposed to elevate this thing?-

Donn Venema
03-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Scott, I'm not sure if I understand which way you rolled your ankle, but a what's called a high ankle sprain (also called a syndesmosis sprain) happens when the sole of the foot ends up facing outward (versus the much more common sprain where it ends up facing inward toward the other foot). They are typically much more serious due to the ligament(s) which get torn and require a longer recovery that a normal sprain. I suffered one of these last summer on a climbing trip in the most remote part of the Cascades of Washington State. Got a very cool helicopter ride out, but was in a cast for 11 weeks. I also fractured my fibula a few inches below the knee (the fracture was not serious, and I felt no pain there, but is apparently fairly common with this type of sprain).

If this is what you did, I would not treat it at all like a normal sprain and would head right away to see an orthopedist. If that's not what you did, uhhh, nevermind.

One good thing about my injury was that I had tons of time with not much to do but surf the internet and came across this really cool site called crossfit.com. You ought to take a look at it sometime!

Scott Kustes
03-31-2005, 05:27 AM
Donn, that's what I discovered (Google is amazing). It isn't a high ankle sprain. I rolled my ankle inwards as in a typical sprain. The swelling is higher up than normal, but it's still just a fairly bad normal sprain. There's also no bruising, so I'm not concerned with anything being messed up (We sure do talk about getting messed up alot around here).

Donn Venema
03-31-2005, 07:50 AM
Well, sorry you have an injury to deal with at all, but I'm glad to hear it's not the syndesmosis variety. There's nothing good at all about crutches and casts! Good luck and hope you're back to full activity soon.

Veronica Carpenter
04-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Scott, the treatment goes like this R.I.C.E - rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Ice 20minutes on the hour, compress with wraps, and elevate higher than the heart. Hope you heal up quickly.