PDA

View Full Version : Rear delts painful

Mark McLean
02-28-2005, 09:41 AM
This has been an on going thing for months now.

Ive been at the gym over a year and a half now, and sad to say i did too much too soon when i started. But not enough to paralise myself.

My problem is my rear delts. It usually hurts more on the bench press than any other exercise. It makes me unable to clear my sets after the first couple or so. I never feel a good burn really on my chest but always painful delts instead. Its either when i do heavier loads or even realy light loads where im doing 25 reps per set. Depending on my training week.

How is this? I admit to neglecting them to start with but thats all changed for a while now.

Any comments or advice?

Hone Watson
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
To perform the bench press under standard guidelines requires a greater range of motion (ROM) than is found in the shoulder joint of most people - particularly male athletes. Thats why your problem is so common.

The bench press has little functional value. Because the back is supported it does little for pressing power while standing up. Push ups have more functional carry over because they require the stabilization of the core.

If you want to do weighted exercises for the chest you're better off focusing on weighted dips, weighted pull ups, push press etc, and cable cross overs, cable press and the trunk punch.

More on benchpress deltoid related problems, http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=26

Brian Hand
02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Mark, are you sure it is the rear delts that hurt? That would be pretty unusual. However rotator cuff pain is in the same neck of the woods and if it is hurting this much you could be flirting with disaster here. This isn't pushing yourself pain, this is injury pain, and you don't want to try to cowboy up and push through it. I'd have the shoulders looked at. Maybe all you need is some corrective exercises. But I definitely wouldn't continue to bench past with that pain.