PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal muscle spasms

Jeremy Jones
03-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I have been having muscle spasms in my abdominals for about 2 weeks now. Almost constantly, but not always in the same place (the spasms can change from one side to the other).

I drink plenty of water, and I was taking Potassium Gluconate (sp?) supplements with food up until about 4 days ago with no change.

The spasms almost feel like indegestion, but not quite the same. They are quite visible.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any more ideas to help cure it?

Dan Silver
03-09-2005, 06:10 PM
I think the M.D.s on this board will back me up when I state that abdominal pain is arguably the most difficult type of pain to diagnose. There are so many structures packed into such a small space that the differential diagnosis is pretty extensive.

However, if you are sure that you are having muscle spasms then there are only a few likely causes for that. An electrolyte imbalance and/or fatigue are probably the culprits. Make sure you are taking in adequate fluids, potassium and salt on a daily basis during periods of heavy training (ie-crossfit). Rest for a few days also. If you haven't really been training your abs over the years and suddenly started blasting them, then they will likely spasm and/or cramp. So, rest and train that muscle group gradually. That should take care of any muscle spasms. If the problem persists then you may need to delve a little deeper into the problem (ie- see a Doc).

-D.

Jeremy Jones
03-10-2005, 05:59 PM
I haven't changed my training at all really since starting CF 9 months ago, and this problem is new.

It isn't pain. . . just a quivering in the muscle. Weird and Annoying.

Karl Steadman
03-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Jeremy.....not a scientific response or reason for why it happens i'm afraid. Just that the same has happened to me in the past in both my VMO and rear delt (at different times). I know the feeling well....muscle just goes off on its own for a while having a little song and dance for no apparent reason! My experiences with this just seem to go with time (approx. a week).

Karl