PDA

View Full Version : Pain behind kneecap and knee instability

dave ojeda
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
After my workout 2 days ago I noticed a pain right behind my left knee cap running halfway down my chin. Also my side to side stability on the knee seems to be less stable. My left leg is the stronger leg and when I do my one legged balance drill on my left leg it seems very unstable.

Should I just take off a couples of days or is this a warning of something worse that needs to be looked at??

Any help is appreciated!

Carrie Klumpar
03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Instability = not good. I would go to an orthopedic dr. who can do some simple manual tests to get an initial sense of what might be going on in there and help determine how to proceed.

You could give it a few days on your own first to see if the instability is somehow muscular and might improve, but after that I'd want some expert opinions on the state of the ligaments. In the meantime, go easy on forceful cutting, twisting, pivoting movements.

Good luck.

David Werner
03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Dave

Your chin is below your kneecap? You HAVE been working out to hard!

Seriously now, Carrie knows what she's talking about (she recently experienced the same type symptoms - it was a torn ACL) If you sense instability get to a doc.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North

William Hunter
03-17-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree with Carrie. Stability has a little to do with how quickly and efficiently you recruit muscle fibers, and a whole lot to do with the integrity of your ligaments. Most people who've had ruptured knee ligaments can tell you exactly when it happened. If you didn't feel it go, it may be more of a sprain. I'd be careful and seek out an orthopod.